Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM #1
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
3 Man Tournament with 2 newbies

So I am playing a 3 man on Sunday with my two friends. I've played plenty of tournaments, so I know what to expect and how to play, but my friends on the other hand, not so much.

One is decent, played recball a bit, and has most of the basics down.

The other has played rec a handful of times...

This is just for fun (obviously) but I would like do well. What would you do? I am mixed on playing back and watching over them and giving guidance, or playing forward and getting more into the thick of it. Here are some more specifics on what I am thinking:

Me playing back:

Pros: I am able to lay paint better than them. I can lane, provide cover, a hold the other team. I can also watch the other two, call them to move where needed, and control them team a little better.

Cons: They won't know how to work the field and I worry about how many they can shoot out.

Me playing front:

Pros: I know how to work the field better and will be able to shoot out the other team better.

Cons: I am leaving back for one of them to communicate and cover for movement.

So what would you do?
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM #2
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Look at what their strengths are and use those. If your friends don't like to move, then have them play in the back and mid. If they are fast and aggressive, have them play front. Get a practice day in so they get a feel for their position.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 PM #3
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Play front. Inexperienced players tend to hang back and play slower than they need to. If you're playing teams with more experienced players, your best bet would be to get up front and do some damage in a hurry. If you play it slow, you'll inevitably lose at least one of your two friends and find yourself in a 3 on 1 situation real fast.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:21 PM #4
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is Legendary
I have a pretty good feeling for what they can do. One is a little more aggressive than the other. But then I am more aggressive than both. I am also more communicative than both.

I am leaning toward playing front, but my hesitation is what if I get shot?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM #5
Trident00
THERE'S BUTTER ON MY FACE

Trident00 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
what if I get shot?
Sounds like if you get shot out you lose. But you're not going to win any games by getting into a 3 on 1 situation either.

I'd go with front. At least you stand the chance of taking someone out and putting your team in a manageable position.
Trident00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 AM #6
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
I have a pretty good feeling for what they can do. One is a little more aggressive than the other. But then I am more aggressive than both. I am also more communicative than both.

I am leaning toward playing front, but my hesitation is what if I get shot?
You can get shot anywhere on the field. Don't ask yourself that question - it's just going to break your confidence and accomplishes nothing.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 AM #7
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is Legendary
Its not my confidence that is worrying me. I can play front very well.

My point is that while the front has the best chances for getting eliminations, it also has the best chance of being eliminated.

When I played with equal skilled players, I could rely on someone to watch my tape if I was crossing it up, but with them, I don't know if I can do the same. I don't want to be bunkered because I misplaced my trust.

On the other hand, with everyone saying I should go front, it sounds like that would be the place to go. This is only 3 man after all, so usually the first team to go up one has already made a huge advantage for themselves.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 AM #8
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Don't overthink it. You're playing a 3-man. That means that 1 player on the other team will be nowhere near you and another will probably not be in bunkering range either. You only have to protect yourself from one player and a few random snaps every so often will make them hesitate and stay put.

You can sit back and let your inexperienced players get matched up against better players until they're out, or you can play aggressively and get a quick elimination to help level the playing field. If this strategy works for you, you may find that your teammates start playing more aggressively as well because their confidence is improved.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM #9
pauliebrown

Switch it up, play back one game and then front in one game. I hated when we would run the same play over and over.
pauliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM #10
Trixer00

Id play back, you getting shot out trying to move up the snake cause yoru back guy is not watching your tape, or you getting bunker is just gonna give them a 3v2 and the scrubs are gonna fold easy..

Play center, send the two to the tape and try to watch them... worth with them down the field and tell them where to go..

I will never trade for, answer questions, or do I want anything to do with a marker that looks like a real weapon, they are a plague on the paintball community.

We are a sport and we must represent our selves that way, or immature and irresponsible people will ruin us!

The only thing a paintball player fights for is respect. Respect for the game, respect as a player, and respect as a team. We are not soldiers, warriors, or fighters. We are survivors!
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
Trixer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 AM #11
buzzdragon
honeybadgers

Quote:
Its not my confidence that is worrying me. I can play front very well.

My point is that while the front has the best chances for getting eliminations, it also has the best chance of being eliminated.

When I played with equal skilled players, I could rely on someone to watch my tape if I was crossing it up, but with them, I don't know if I can do the same. I don't want to be bunkered because I misplaced my trust.

On the other hand, with everyone saying I should go front, it sounds like that would be the place to go. This is only 3 man after all, so usually the first team to go up one has already made a huge advantage for themselves.
you seem to know your strength. you go for front.
you have shown your mistrust and high expectation of inexperience players to do this and that = you over-think = become complicated for inexperience players to think too much by remembering this and that and to play at same time is not efficient

to keep the strategy plan so simply, just tell them to stay at their position to lock until one of you shoot to take one out of three opponent players before one of your teammate make a move.

1) maybe put one inexperience player in middle that you think of him/her to lane better and able to shoot with either right and left hands. most rec player use right hand only.
2) maybe put one inexperience player in back corner on d side who is good at anticipating before making moves to d1 then d2 without being shot.
3) maybe put yourself in back corner on snake side. it requires skill and experience.

you need to throw your mistrust away and to show your support by allowing the inexperience players to have more room to make mistake themselves therefore they can learn more from their mistake to improve a lot. they will ask you what they've done something wrong and you give them points. they will want to play tournament again.
don't care

Last edited by buzzdragon : 07-21-2011 at 12:07 PM.
buzzdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM #12
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is Legendary
You guys are throwing out a lot of helpful info. Like I said, it is only 3man, and in no way anywhere near the biggest event I've played (it is actually closer to the smaller side). If this were a group of my friends who did have experience, then I wouldn't worry about how well we do. But with these friends, they each have reasons for me to help them win. I want to share with you guys who I'm playing with, and why I want to win so much.

BOTH currently have confidence issues. Not with playing paintball, but with life issues. One just got married a few months ago (actually how he got into PB, a bachelor party). However, there are some issues that came up during the weeks before and after the marriage (nothing to end the marriage, but a huge speedbump none-the-less). Without going into too much detail, I really think he needs some stress relief and a confidence builder.

The other has been married for a few years now, but soon after getting married, he lost his well paying job. They are currently living a his wife's mom's house. He found a new job that pays, so they are working on saving up for a house. He is the kind of guy that when you just meet him, he seems full of confidence, but when you get to know him, you see that he is just over compensating to hide how he really feels. It looks like he is going to join the Coast Guard, but my other friend and I don't think he is doing it for the right reasons.

I hope you guys see why I want to win so much. This isn't about me. I played college ball, and a bunch of small events. Sure I'll have fun, but this is nothing to me. But for my friends, this could be everything for them. Anyone who has ever won something like this knows how it makes you feel. Imagine what it can do for these guys. The first friend was one of my best friends throughout school, and I know him well, and the issues that came up with his marriage when they did hit him hard. I really think having some control and confidence will make him feel better.

Thank you all so much for your help!!! Keep the ideas coming.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:05 AM #13
PedroBR

If both are new or relative new, they´ll tend to stay back and play slow and to try not to die instead of trying to kill. Especially in a tournament, even it´s a 'for fun' tournament they will feel the pressure. Just by calling it a tournament most people get affected. If you stay back yelling at them they will go nuts and get confused and then freeze or do a stupid move and get shot.

I believe that is better that you go up front or mid and show them how business is done. Get the more experiencied one to cover you, talk to him and pre arrange the moves and how he can cover your *** and help you. In the game yell at him all the time for him to cover you as you need or him to shoot where you need him to be shooting. The newer guy tell him to bring a lot of paint and never stop shooting and keeping people pinning inside theirs bunkers while you and the other guy do the killing. Just let him know the paths that you may go through and try to always let him know that you are moving. (you can have a code word for this)

It does not matter if your team loses all the games - if you support them, praise their efforts and tell them they fought hard and well they´ll feel like winners. During a game if you see they did a good move yell at them great job if possible at every opportunity. When you take enemies out, after the game tell them great job I only could do it because you guys were shooting the sink on them.

For every good thing that happens on the field show them they were responsible for it happening. ("i only could move to that spot because you were covering my ***, etc)

Give them a good time, take pictures, etc.

From what I have read, they are lucky to have you as a friend.

Last edited by PedroBR : 07-30-2011 at 02:27 AM.
PedroBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 AM #14
PedroBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzdragon View Post
you need to throw your mistrust away and to show your support by allowing the inexperience players to have more room to make mistake themselves therefore they can learn more from their mistake to improve a lot. they will ask you what they've done something wrong and you give them points. they will want to play tournament again.
PedroBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:57 AM #15
potatosteak

I feel like I should pitch in because Im a newb. I somewhat retired from bushball 8 years ago...just came back to paintball this year and have been playing mostly speedball.

I find Im most successful in a game when the experienced players give me simple commands. Like...if someone puts me in snake corner, the 'leader' will tell me go here..look left/right.

I say take control and give them the simplest commands. There is this guy on my field I play with and we generally win when we're together coz he keeps a tight lid on me...I find when new players dont see someone to shoot, we get impatient and disregard instructions (told to look tape side, dont see anyone starts looking inside, our snake gets bunkered for example). The guy I play with is quick to snap at me and tell me to keep looking where I was assigned to look.

Whenever I play with this guy, we win.

So I say, take command, come up with a plan, keep things simple. And stay on top of your new guys. Be clear and concise. I find with us newbies, we win games when our movements are scripted. We dont read the field as well as most experienced guys do...so a script so to speak gives us confidence that we'll know where to go and where to look when we get to that bunker. I eliminate alot of people when the d1 guys keep me in line with the script they gave me. This should work with your newbs too.

Last edited by potatosteak : 09-13-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: edit : oops, late replay, hope your team did well
potatosteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM #16
KDevil

KDevil plays in the PSP
KDevil plays in the APPA D3 division
For the record most pro players who guest in South American leagues tend to play back due to experience...they can blow the field better and take advantage of mismatches.

On the other hand IF the team you are playing is very good you might want to be up front to try to throw a loop in their plan to key on you in the back.

Tazer Ball Support
OG KIRK WOZNY FAN #1
KDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM #17
PEballer

I would have them play the back for the same reasons listed above. If they havent played in a tournament before they will most likely not be as aggresive as you want your front players to be
PEballer is offline   Reply With Quote