PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 PM #1
Boomer14

DX Drone FAQ

Macdev DX Drone FAQ

Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions and answers.

Before asking new questions, please read the manual, found here:

http://www.macdev.net/downloads/Drone%20DX%20V1.0.pdf

and check out Macdev's official site here:

http://store.macdev.net/product_p/dronedx.htm

Part 1: General features:

What is the DX drone? The DX drone is a mid price ($550), spool valve tourny marker. The major components are all milled aluminium, and it has a full feature electronic trigger board, and high quality ASA, feedneck, barrel, and regulator.

Where can I get one? At your local Macdev authorized dealer, or at macdev.net

How is the DX drone in comparison to a clone? Other than the appearance, the Droid and clone are slightly more quiet and "smooth", and may have better air efficiency. DX Drone has a more simple drive train and board.

What after market triggers work on the Drone? Most RX, Clone, and Droid triggers will work.

What barrels will work with the Drone? Any cocker threaded barrel should work. The stock barrel is a match stick with .689 bore.

I want an OLED board. Can I put the Clone board in a Drone? Yes. You will need a clone grip and the OLED screen too. All are available from Macdev's website.

Can I put my favorite Droid grips on the Drone? No. While the grip frame is similar size, it is thinner than the Droid or 07 Cyborg frame. The clone style grip will work on the Drone, but the window won’t be used.

How about the feedneck? It uses the same feedneck as the VX, which has a retention groove milled in.

What parts are interchangeable between the VX clone and DX drone? Feedneck, regulator, trigger, barrel, board (with proper grip and display), eyes, are the major ones.

What parts are interchangeable between the Tactical drone and DX drone? Trigger, barrel, board, regulator, eyes, grip and drive are the major ones.

Part 2: Performance:

What kind efficiency should I expect? Broken in, it can realistically get 1400+ on a 68/4500. The DX Drone may need a 10-case break in period to do the best. Your results may vary....

What board settings work best on the DX Drone? The stock ones. Specifically, the dwell should be about 8. The anti bolt stick or ball delay can be adjusted if necessary, but leave the others alone. Look for the tuning guide on this thread if you want to modify the dwell for better performance.

How accurate is the DX Drone? The Drone is as accurate as any high performance paintball marker. With good paint and a proper barrel match, it is capable of ball-on-ball accuracy at over 50 feet. Paint and the shooter make much more of a difference in accuracy than any specific marker type.

How consistent is the velocity? It is capable of +/- 3fps in a 10-shot string with good paint and a good barrel match. Barrel match is very important on this style of marker.

How loud is the DX Drone? Not as quiet as a clone, but noticeably very quiet with the Shift barrel kit. Otherwise, it is about on par with the 07 cyborg. The DX drive makes a very destinctive "pop" when it fires.
Here are a couple of vids comparing the DX sound:

http://youtu.be/UpIE5U2rUb0
http://youtu.be/Gb4eMWz59eM

How much maintenance does the Drone need? Less than most high performance electro-pneumatic paintball markers. It should be fine without touching it for a 6-case day of play, but should get at least a general lube on the drive train and inspection at the end of the day.

How fast does it shoot? 29.8 bps have been measured with a stock rotor feeding it paint.

Does it work in cold weather? Yes, this drive underwent significant cold weather testing in the Northwest US starting in November 2010. It tested fine down to 18 degrees F. We've used the production version now in temperatures in the mid 20s F and it works fine.

Last edited by Boomer14 : 11-20-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: updated info
Boomer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 PM #2
Boomer14

Part 3 Troubleshooting / Tech:

Where can I get parts for the DX Drone? Talk to your Macdev authorized dealer or visit Macdev.net. Some parts will be compatible with the VX Clone, other are specific to the DX Drone.

How do I break it in? Shoot it. It may take up to about 10 cases to break in nicely, but you will be rewarded. It will get smoother, more consistent, use less air, and become quieter with use.

What kind of lube do I use, and how much? Consult the manual for proper lubrication, and use only a DOW33 lubricant like MilitiaLube. A “wet” look on all the drive train components is best. Just wipe each o-ring with a small amount on your finger, and then gently wipe off the excess. You don’t need any globs on any of the components. The o-rings on the bolt and valve are the most critical, because of the moving bolt. There is a maintenance video here:

http://youtu.be/HFnY4MlWwD8

Should I use a low pressure or high pressure HPA tank? It will work fine on both.

What pressure should I be running my regulator at?
Most Drones achieve 280 fps at about 95-110 psi. Again, your results may vary…..

My DX Drone is getting horrible velocity consistency. What’s wrong? Try a fresh, high quality battery first. If the marker is brand new, you may need to give it time to break in. Inconsistent paint can also be the culprit. You also may have a dirty bolt tip o-ring- usually shell or paint stuck from a break in the breach. Clean them, re-lube, and try it out. One other thing to check is the regulator. It may be dirty or have a damaged o-ring, or the valve seat (the little red plastic thing) may be gouged. It can be turned over to get some more life out of it, or replaced. Usually this isn't a problem unless the regulator has been opened up.

Another tip to help velicity consistency is to underbore your barrel. If you have a sizer kit and have say .688 paint, try a .685 bore.

I aired up my Drone , fired it, and it popped and now just leaks air down the barrel. What happened? You have way too much pressure entering the drive train. Replace the valve o-ring (which is now missing), zero the regulator and adjust up until it cycles and then gets the desired velocity. The regulator is very sensitive to adjustment. ¼ turn can move it up to 30 fps. Most DX Drones like to be at about 95-110 psi, pressures over 125 psi may pop the valve oring . Your regulator may also be having "reg creep" and in need of maintenance, lubed improperly, or have a damaged seat.

My DX Drone has very bad first shot drop off (FSDO). What do I do? First, make sure you have a fresh battery. Then check the drive train for cleanliness and proper lubrication. Any buildup, piece of shell or a glob of paint on the bolt tip or on the bolt body can make it stick. Your dwell may also be too low. As a last resort, you can adjust the anti-bolt stick setting in the board if the drop is consistent and predictable.

It is freezing out, and my DX Drone doesn't seem to be working right! What do I do? Ensure you have a fresh battery (batteries don't like cold) and have a good lube with only Militia Lube. Then try raising the dwell to 10 or 12. The dx drives do work in cold weather. I've personally used them in temperatures into the low 20s F, and they work fine. Sometimes the first shot will be weak, but that is because of the grease turning to jelly on the drive, and happens on any paintball gun. Shoot it a couple of times, and it should be fine for at least a half an hour.

My battery post fell off or broke. What now? Contact your Macdev Repair Center for a solution. You CAN re-solder it on yourself, but you have to take responsibility if you ruin the board. It helps if you make sure that you remove both sides of the grip when changing the battery, and then PUSH the battery from the right side of the grip out of the frame. Do not pry it out from the left side of the grip. You can also solder a standard 9v harness to the terminal spots. You will need a little foam to keep the battery secure in the grip.

How can I keep my DX Drone from breaking paint? Like any spool valve marker, the Drone likes a clean breach area and barrel. Get the gentlest loader you can, use the best paint you can get/afford, and clean the barrel and breach completely as soon as possible after a break. The DX drive has been very gentle on paint, especially when using the stock green detents.

Is there a tech video for the DX Drone? Yes

maintenance:

http://youtu.be/HFnY4MlWwD8

Tuning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRoqUH-O9A

The velocity in the first shot in a string is fine, then the velocity starts to drop during rapid firing of my Drone. What is wrong? Shootdown can be caused by an number of things. First, ensure that you have a fresh, high quality battery. Second, ensure that you do not have a problem with your air supply by swapping the tank and/or air adapter with another and trying it out. Third, you may have lots of grit in the filter on the regulator. Pull the bottom portion of the regulator and inspect the screen for debris, then clean if necessary. As a last resort, you should perform maintenance on the regulator and drive train as the manual describes.

My new DX is only getting 4 pods and a hopper off a 68/4500. What can I do to make it more efficient? Shoot it. They need to be broken in. Setting the dwell at 8 and shooting it should be all the dx really needs. You might try cleaning and lubing the drive, but don't expect any miracles right away. Some of them do great on efficiency out of the box, and others need more breaking in. After about 10 or so cases, it should be noticeably more efficient. It's all about the minor variances in orings that make the seal.

If you aren't patient enough to wait to break it in, do this:

Set the dwell to 6. Clean and lube the drive (using Militia lube), and see if it cycles fully. If it does, it should pick up efficiency a little. Lowering the dwell actually helps efficiency in this drive. All the drive needs is for the solenoid to stay open long enough to cycle the bolt forward, then all the excess gas is vented. Lowering the dwell limits the amount of gas that vents, increasing efficiency. You just have to ensure that the bolt is cycling completely and consistantly. The colder it is, the thicker the grease, which makes it more sticky and needs a higher dwell to cycle. Theoritically, if it is hot out, you could lower the dwell. I have a dx that works fine at 5 ms when it is over 80 degrees.

How do I maintain the regulator? The Clone uses the same regulator as the DX Drone. Here is a maintenance video from Sumorai

http://youtu.be/Ma0UJdS6LI0

I tried screwing in my tank into the ASA and it won't go! Is it broken? No, the tolerances in the ASA are really tight and some bonnets won't thread right. DO NOT FORCE IT. If it does not want to thread easily, try another tank or change the bonnet on your tank regulator. Forcing it will cross thread the ASA or tank and ruin both.

Last edited by Boomer14 : 11-20-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: formating and missing link
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM #3
James@MacDev
secret underground lair

has been a member for 10 years
James@MacDev works for a Paintball manufacturer
excellent work boomer!!
James@MacDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM #4
PhazedReality818

hey boomer, thanx for this. one thing i noticed is that the dx drive doesnt like crazy underboring. if i bore match or under bore by a size, (i use the techt ifit) it shoots great, but anything more than that, i lose a lot of velocity. i lost around 40 fps. for example, if my paint is .685, i can use a .682 insert no problem. it shoots amazing. if i use a .679, i lose like 40 fps. i dont know why. i have a theory that maybe the bolt is really gentle whn it forces the ball in to the barrel, and against resistance from a small bore insert, it slows the bolt down and the air doesnt get to dump out as fast as it should..

what do you think about this theory?
PhazedReality818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 PM #5
Boomer14

I haven't been able to underbore that severe in a long time. The .684 paint in the .681 insert is about where I've used the DX most of the time. The last paint I had rolled through a .679 back (DXS bronze), and even Nelson has been running small lately (.684).

I have noticed a significant decrease in shot-shot velocity variation by underboring slightly, but paint roundness and consistancy has even more effect.

The pressure relationships in the drive train are complex and all depend on other conditions too, so it may not be as simple as that- its beyone me to say for sure. However, it is kind of academic, since you can just adjust your regulator to get the velocity you want with your paint and bore.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 PM #6
PhazedReality818

is the dx drive in the tac drone and the drone dx identical? if not, what are the differences?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 PM #7
timbertiger20

timbertiger20 is a Supporting Member
They are identical!
timbertiger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 PM #8
Boomer14

What TT meant to say is that they should be functionally identical. There are some subtle differences in the early dx drives that went only into the tac drone and were changed before the dx drone came out.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 PM #9
PhazedReality818

i bought my tac drone in the beginning of august and it shipped from australia so i imagine its fairly new.

may i ask what the subtle differences are? i ask out of general curiosity and because the o ring kit from o ring monkey is for the older style drone drive and if they make one for the drone dx, i could buy that instead of the one for the old tac drone.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 PM #10
FreeStyler15

i have a question, can i use the clone gold bolt on the drone dx?
FreeStyler15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM #11
(thc)GunSmoke
I Fight For MACDEV

no you cannot

(thc)GunSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 PM #12
Boomer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhazedReality818 View Post
i bought my tac drone in the beginning of august and it shipped from australia so i imagine its fairly new.

may i ask what the subtle differences are? i ask out of general curiosity and because the o ring kit from o ring monkey is for the older style drone drive and if they make one for the drone dx, i could buy that instead of the one for the old tac drone.

The early DX drives shipped as aftermarket upgrades for the Tac Drone in March through May '11 were updated to make the final version that became the DX drive. These revisions were done to make the drive completely bullet proof. Again, these drives are functionally the same.

1. a small groove was added to the bolt tip on the later version to show that it had some small milling differences and better sealing orings
2. valve tip oring was changed to 014 from 015
3. the 3rd oring (redundant) was removed on the drive body on the new version

You might want to make your own kit, starting with the kit for the basic tac drone. Compare the drive orings in the DX manual with the stock drive, and make a list. They should be able to set you up. Or, just order your own in bags of 100 from McMaster-Carr. Make sure you have spares for the valve (014), bumper (15x1) and switch (016) orings. Only change them if you are having a problem. Mine have been untouched since May and have had many cases of paint since then.

Last edited by Boomer14 : 09-20-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 PM #13
PhazedReality818

thanx bro. i havent had a single problem since in mine. it works wonderfully well. i just wanted to know in case i may need to replace an o ring.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM #14
beanzfbaby

To make this simple for me......List the upgrades available for the Drone DX
(Bolts, Boards, Eyes etc)
beanzfbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 PM #15
Boomer14

It is simple. There are not upgrades specific for the DX Drone. If you want, you can add a clone board. You will need the display and grip as well. They are available from your friendly Macdev dealer or macdev.net.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM #16
Ragin Cajun
CLICK, CLICK, BOOM

Annual Supporting Member
Ragin Cajun is a founding member
Ragin Cajun is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ragin Cajun is a Forum Captain
^^^
Yup. The DX also comes with laser eyes. No need to upgrade.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 AM #17
JollyAvenger
Team VooDoo

JollyAvenger owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
My DroneDX is on Semi-auto adjustable (with Clone OLED board). And the gun seems to go into "ramping" when I run a stream of paint and only stops when i pull the trigger a couple of times again. Could one of my other settings be causing this issue?
JollyAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM #18
Boomer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyAvenger View Post
My DroneDX is on Semi-auto adjustable (with Clone OLED board). And the gun seems to go into "ramping" when I run a stream of paint and only stops when i pull the trigger a couple of times again. Could one of my other settings be causing this issue?

sounds like you're getting some bounce from the trigger hitting the microswitch. If you've adjusted the the trigger set screws, try putting them back near where they were. Or, you could try filtering the bounce with the cycle filter and mechanical bounce settings. It will be kind of trial an error to find the settings that work with your trigger adjustments.

Last edited by Boomer14 : 10-13-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 AM #19
JollyAvenger
Team VooDoo

JollyAvenger owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Havn't adjusted the trigger and Cycle filter + mech debounce are on 2.

Will tinker with it at practice next week. Thanks.
JollyAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM #20
beanzfbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer14 View Post
It is simple. There are not upgrades specific for the DX Drone. If you want, you can add a clone board. You will need the display and grip as well. They are available from your friendly Macdev dealer or macdev.net.
BUT what about the clone bolt and whole drive..... would that fit in as well

Ironbound Ballerz
AXE
Custom FBM Block Cut Pump
CLONE VX
beanzfbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM #21
timbertiger20

timbertiger20 is a Supporting Member
No the Clone stuff will not fit! Also I had someone playing with my Drone DX and had the same issue.....he turned the debounce down to on on accident and it was like it was in ramping mode. Just back the settings up a bit!
timbertiger20 is offline   Reply With Quote