PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 PM #1
pballler2269

pballler2269 helped look for balloons
Posted in ST but eh

How important is it to have at least 3 years of language on your app? I havn't started looking at colleges yet but the word on the curb is that some will throw your app out if you don't have 3. Any insight on this?
pballler2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 PM #2
XxTexasfuryxX
d(◕_◕)b

XxTexasfuryxX donated to help Peyton Trent
XxTexasfuryxX supports Team VICIOUS
XxTexasfuryxX posts videos on PbNation
XxTexasfuryxX supports DLX Technology
At the university I go to, you only need 2 years of a foreign language. 3 years would be great on an application.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 PM #3
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
What field do you want to study? If you are interested in science, engineering or technology you won't need nor will it matter if you have learned a second language.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM #4
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp8nt View Post
What field do you want to study? If you are interested in science, engineering or technology you won't need nor will it matter if you have learned a second language.
Have to have three years of foreign language to graduate from the School of Arts and Sciences at FSU.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 AM #5
_WARRIOR_ (Banned)

_WARRIOR_ helped look for balloons
_WARRIOR_ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Here you need two years for most majors, but some **** you over and make you take a third. And if you don't place high enough, you might take even more classes than you should.
_WARRIOR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM #6
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
all depends on the school. i needed to have 3 total between high school and college to graduate, same requirement for every major in every department at the university.
cww516 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM #7
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Have to have three years of foreign language to graduate from the School of Arts and Sciences at FSU.
Sure. And the other 450 colleges in the United States? I would stress the fact that some schools will automatically give a student credit for taking foriegn langauge classes in high school, some simply require it for graduation and some don't require it all. I know that it wasn't required for admission in any of the state schools here and it isn't a graduation requirement in any of the science related fields. The caveat for me was that a two course language sequence was a requirement for my second bachelor's degree and I had already taken three years in high school (what a waste that was).
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM #8
F1VENOM

Quote:
Sure. And the other 450 colleges in the United States? I would stress the fact that some schools will automatically give a student credit for taking foriegn langauge classes in high school, some simply require it for graduation and some don't require it all. I know that it wasn't required for admission in any of the state schools here and it isn't a graduation requirement in any of the science related fields. The caveat for me was that a two course language sequence was a requirement for my second bachelor's degree and I had already taken three years in high school (what a waste that was).
Just pointing out that it might be different where he's planning to attend. I almost got burned because I switched from EE to Physics and the SAS requires 3 years where as the E school only requires 2.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM #9
SUR3
bangbang

It's better to take it in High School than college, I can tell you that much. Even then though, some schools at my university require 2 years of it. Only one that I know of and that's the liberal arts school.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM #10
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
Quote:
Uhh... wow.

Learning a second language for science/engineering would be extremely useful.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 AM #11
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Check the admission requirements. At Iowa, I need four semesters of a foreign language to graduate, but four years in high school would have met that requirement. I did 2.5 years in high school, so I'll have to do two semesters most likely.

Just do as much as you can while in high school. Unless it's holding you back in some other area, just do it.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 AM #12
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

diablodow supports Cereal Killerz 2
diablodow is for the Gunfight
Up here it depends on the major. I'm chemistry and was required to take a year but ended up doing a second just because i really liked the program.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM #13
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
Uhh... wow.

Learning a second language for science/engineering would be extremely useful.
Sure IF one wanted to consult/work in another country.

A graduate admissions committee in a scientific field doesn't give two ****s if you can speak another language - they and anyone else in the field would be interested in your ability within your field of study (ie in this case not world languages). Other then that a second language isn't particularly valuable unless you're in a cognate field that studies communication like international relations, communication studies, speech language pathology, audiology etc. Add to that the fact that English is the lingua franca with over 1.8 billion speakers in the world. Besides that quite a bit of scientific work boils down to mathematics - you know "the international language". Of course Latin might be useful in ecology/biology but who really wants to learn a dead language.

Last edited by mnp8nt : 09-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.
mnp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 AM #14
F1VENOM

Considering the international scope of a lot engineering firms and the world we live in you're almost always going to be working for or with someone from a different country. I often wish I spoke Chinese considering how many Chinese nationals I deal with on a daily basis and their often poor English. Maybe it's different where you are but there are certainly a few languages worth learning to speak, if for no other reason than to understand the culture better. You tout speaking English as the "lingua franca" but do you feel insulted when someone else can't speak English or doesn't understand our customs?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM #15
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
You tout speaking English as the "lingua franca" but do you feel insulted when someone else can't speak English or doesn't understand our customs?
Your asserting some things I haven't said. I'm not suggesting that we have common customs - albeit that is something up for debate. And no I don't feel insulted if someone doesn't speak English. Wasn't there at one point a thread on why all majors except science are useless? (Not directed at you).

Getting back to my original point - the meaning of lingua franca is a language in which business is performed by a multitude of differing peoples. It's literal meaning is trade language - ergo 'world language'. The average student is not likely to become an international business person but even so there is a reason why translation services exist. It's not as if one has to formally 'study' a culture or language to learn it.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM #16
Phant0m Chief
~[{Pete}]~#12

Phant0m Chief plays in the PSP
Phant0m Chief owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Phant0m Chief plays in the APPA D4 division
i took 3 years in high school and 3 semesters in college