Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM #1
B.R.

got an epic!

i got a epic in yesterday, im so stoked on it.
ive been looking for one to come up for a while and reading about them...
anyways have a couple questions about it
when the tank pressure drops it chops every paintball i see that being a pain on the field w/out having a gauge to let me know im getting close to 400 psi or whatever (im running co2)
i was really impressed w/ the reg this has running co2 it is very consistent.
for $h!ts and gigles i threw a syphon tank on it and it still shot great.
also wondering if i could get any specific info on the gun like weather there were upgrades or even what it is
im assuming its an epic not the dv8 but it does have the trap door pro
single trigger flat black right feed
ser# e1a00109
and i wondered if it is counterproductive to use a barrel sizer kit. from what i understand its better to slightly overbore.
efficiancy doesnt seam terrible i got 16 usable shots off a 12 gram when i was monkeying around and if they operate at 300 to 400 i geuss i was expecting 20 or so
one more thing...had some pretty horrible results w/ a vlocity hopper on the lowest setting chopped half the paint. thoughts?
thanks

Last edited by B.R. : 03-25-2011 at 02:35 PM.
B.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM #2
Furno

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R. View Post
i got a epic in yesterday, im so stoked on it.
ive been looking for one to come up for a while and reading about them...
anyways have a couple questions about it
when the tank pressure drops it chops every paintball i see that being a pain on the field w/out having a gauge to let me know im getting close to 400 psi or whatever (im running co2)
i was really impressed w/ the reg this has running co2 it is very consistent.
for $h!ts and gigles i threw a syphon tank on it and it still shot great.
also wondering if i could get any specific info on the gun like weather there were upgrades or even what it is
im assuming its an epic not the dv8 but it does have the trap door pro
single trigger flat black right feed
ser# e1a00109
and i wondered if it is counterproductive to use a barrel sizer kit. from what i understand its better to slightly overbore.
efficiancy doesnt seam terrible i got 16 usable shots off a 12 gram when i was monkeying around and if they operate at 300 to 400 i geuss i was expecting 20 or so
one more thing...had some pretty horrible results w/ a vlocity hopper on the lowest setting chopped half the paint. thoughts?
thanks

http://www.icepaintball.com/

click the "about the DV8" and "About the epic" links, that should tell you everything you want to know about the difference between the markers which really is limited to a few components.

As far as Over or Under boring, that seems to be a pretty common topic of discussion. You should check out some of the videos on the topic. Gordon (Cocker Punk) does a pretty good job at explaining it. and even put some science behind the whole thing. Heres his youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gerglmuff

If i remember correctly, he recommends slightly under boring (.679? ish.)
However, that is going to be dependent on the specific marker, barrel and paint setup. The Epic with its trap door design may perform much different than other markers.

Luckily, the epic is Cocker threaded, and you can probably find a nice cocker threaded barrel that if bored and comes with a set of Freak inserts, then you can decide what you like the best (also gives you the ability to change inserts based on specific paint).
CCI PHANTOM PRAYER: Our Phather, who art in Oregon,hallowed be thy name. The game shall be won, by your perfect gun in the woods as it is indoors. Give us this day our Nelson valvetrains. And forgive us our autotriggering, as we forgive those who autotrigger against us. And lead us not into semiautos, but deliver us from electros. For thine is the 12 gram, the 10 round tube, and the pump action, for ever and ever. Amen.
Furno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 PM #3
jrkoop
Koop

jrkoop owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jrkoop is for the Gunfight
I just bought one. Am going to try it out tomorrow.
jrkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 PM #4
B.R.

howdy koop, i think you'll love it. after owning it for a while i think its one marker i wont get rid of.
i will say that you dont want to use a force feed hopper on it
it will chop balls like crazy.
a revvy or primo is fine
i dont go crazy underboring paint but im not afraid to run a snug sizer on it.
i like the trap door pro for running sizers.
if you do plan to keep get ahold of ice now and get some spares coming because he is crazy slow, like i still havent gotten any after owning for how many months.
luckily i had a spare parts kit come w/ the gun when i bought it. (i had to rebuild the reg)
it seams to run great on air or co2
a little lock-tite helped on the feedneck screws they seamed to loosen a lot.
i love it its tight, light, really quick for a mech i think. i dont shoot electro.
i havent chopped a ball w/ it since i first started using it.
anyways im glad you picked one up i dont know why these werent more popular.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 AM #5
jrkoop
Koop

Agreed. Seem like really nice, well-made guns. You'd think more people would appreciate that. What about a Tacamo hopper? I played today with a Pinnochio hopper and I did get a few chopped balls. I also had a Dye Boomstick and am not sure I like that combo. Seems that with this gun it's more important to match the bore size to the paintball. I have a Scepter barrel kit so will have to try that next. I agree that ICE is super slow responding to stuff.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM #6
B.R.

idk what the tacamo is.
just a plain old jt revolution will keep up w/ it no problem
ive actually had good results using the proto primo gravity hopper
do you have the trap door pro? it has the little finger hanging down that pulls the ball into the back of the barrel.
i run a dw fibur barrel or lurker (if it fits the paint)
i need to email him i sent 90$ for rebuild kits to have on hand and also hoping to get a vertical feed to replace my right feed.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 PM #7
jrkoop
Koop

The Tacamo is also a plain gravity fed loader, but with a thingie above the feed tube, similar to the Revy I think. I'll give it a try. I don't think I have the pro, but I'll have to check again. I had it in my hands two days ago when I put a drop of oil on the piston that drives it. Jim was nice enough to include a package with several different doors so maybe there's one in there.

I don't think Jim has any vertical feeds left, because when I bought my gun we went back and forth a lot on parts and specifically the feed tube and he told me he's completely out. He also told me he's had a lot of trouble finding machine shops that will take his small batch orders and not charge him a ton of money. I turned him onto a good shop in N. Cal. but he never responded to tell me if it worked out. He makes great guns, but when it comes to communicating with customers he sucks. You really want to have to buy a gun from him, which may explain, at least partly, why not more people buy these very cool markers. I'll stop whining now