PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 AM #1
Diametunim

Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Kindle or Nook

So I'm looking to buy an E-reader for the girlfriend because she's gay for books. I unfortunately know absolutely nothing about e-readers because I rarely ever read books. I've done some reading up on both the Kindle and The Nook and both have similar features, mind you I'm looking at Wifi only versions, I'm too poor for the fancy ****. Everyone says that either E-reader will do in the end but I can't decide between either generations of the Nook(standard or touch only) or the kindle and would like to know what you guys think of yours if you have one.

I'm mainly looking at support for 3rd party content from a computer. Everything I've read said both e-readers have support for third party content from a number of sources but none of the reviews say which e-reader has the best 3rd party content support.

The main reason I'm so concerned about third party content is my girlfriend has a lot of books on her laptop and since she is the only person who will be using this thing I would like for her to be able to migrate the books from her laptop onto her E-reader so she doesn't have to stare at her terrible laptop for hours on end.
Diametunim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 AM #2
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

mrtramplefoot supports DLX Technology
your girlfriends a book?

"Originally posted by Ziya92: Apple in all their creativity could have chosen, at the very least, a flavorful cultivar such as the Blenheim Orange. "

"Originally posted by {InsertUsernameHere}: lol france."
mrtramplefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM #3
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA

zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I've got a Kindle. Questions? What kind of 3rd party content?

I really can't comment on the Nook, but the Kindle is pretty awesome.

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 AM #4
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
You can always look at a 1st generation iPad as well.

I, personally, prefer the iPad because I can view PDF files as well as Kindle and Nook books/stores via their respective software. It just gives me the most options.

I have tons of books on my iPad and being able to just select whichever provider has the best deal, purchase it, and be good is nice. Plus the standard Apple iBooks software supports all the usual formats so most likely your GF can sync any existing books she has in epub format on over w/o an issue.

If you're dead set on one of the two you mentioned. I'd probably say the Kindle. A few family members have them, and enjoy them.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 AM #5
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you can get the Nook color, which is rootable, then it might be worth it since you can throw on a full version of Android on it.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Mustang7302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM #6
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametunim View Post
So I'm looking to buy an E-reader for the girlfriend because she's gay for books. I unfortunately know absolutely nothing about e-readers because I rarely ever read books. I've done some reading up on both the Kindle and The Nook and both have similar features, mind you I'm looking at Wifi only versions, I'm too poor for the fancy ****. Everyone says that either E-reader will do in the end but I can't decide between either generations of the Nook(standard or touch only) or the kindle and would like to know what you guys think of yours if you have one.

I'm mainly looking at support for 3rd party content from a computer. Everything I've read said both e-readers have support for third party content from a number of sources but none of the reviews say which e-reader has the best 3rd party content support.

The main reason I'm so concerned about third party content is my girlfriend has a lot of books on her laptop and since she is the only person who will be using this thing I would like for her to be able to migrate the books from her laptop onto her E-reader so she doesn't have to stare at her terrible laptop for hours on end.
You can convert and move the laptop ebooks to the Kindle and Nook with a program called Calibre. They are both pretty equal in that regard. If you want support for more formats, get the Nook. The Nook touch also has a bit faster page turning. They are both pretty equal in quality so it doesn't really matter in the end.

I personally have a Kindle, no complaints with it. Long battery life and the Amazon lighted cover is very good (doesn't need its own batteries since it uses the Kindle's).
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM #7
Dontcallmepete
BALLSOHARD

Dontcallmepete is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
kindle
"Originally posted by Sp0rk: Pete's endorsed by over 20 liquor companies, he gets free **** all the time.
"Originally posted by SUR3 S}{oT: Southern Comfort:
Only thing that goes in and out of pete."
Dontcallmepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM #8
TrailBlazr18
blazrbeam pewpewpew

Kindle, none of that annoying-as-**** glare on the screen from the sun or whatever, and you can download books from most places. and what network they use to download books from also lets you access the internet, but its all black and white.

lolyouguystrytoohard
TrailBlazr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 AM #9
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
I use this a lot for my e-books. It lets me convert to and from pdf , lit and mobi with no problems.

Dan
Auctionjunkie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 AM #10
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

mrtramplefoot supports DLX Technology
if you want something to read books on get a kindle, the nook color and ipad etc arent for reading books. Get something with an e-ink screen

"Originally posted by Ziya92: Apple in all their creativity could have chosen, at the very least, a flavorful cultivar such as the Blenheim Orange. "

"Originally posted by {InsertUsernameHere}: lol france."
mrtramplefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM #11
DeadEagle
ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

DeadEagle helped look for balloons
I have the original Nook and I really, really like it. My mom has a Kindle, and it's pretty cool too. Honestly they both perform about the same, but the Kindle will last longer in terms of read time. Other than that it's just personal preference.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM #12
TrentwAnderson

I would pick a kindle over a nook any day of the week.
TrentwAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 AM #13
cameron122000
*714*

cameron122000 helped look for balloons
cameron122000 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Nook Color and root it so you can have a tablet.

ST:Tech - waitwut.
cameron122000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM #14
SexyChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflvikings View Post
You can convert and move the laptop ebooks to the Kindle and Nook with a program called Calibre. They are both pretty equal in that regard. If you want support for more formats, get the Nook. The Nook touch also has a bit faster page turning. They are both pretty equal in quality so it doesn't really matter in the end..
If you have the nook color you can just put the e-books onto a micro sd card

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtramplefoot View Post
if you want something to read books on get a kindle, the nook color and ipad etc arent for reading books. Get something with an e-ink screen
I have a nook color and love reading on it, you just have to adjust the brightness depending on the light. The kindle is nice too, except it isn't back lit so you have to have better lighting to read it.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM #15
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

Your cheapest route would be to some how get your hands on an HP Touchpad for the $99 fire sale price. It has a kindle app so you have full access to Amazon's book store.

Other than that both the kindle and nook will be good choices. I've heard nothing but AMAZING things about the nook color.

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Vist my new tech Blog: www.brokemanstech.com
Jebus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM #16
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

id go Kindle if all you want is an e-reader. the e-ink screen is crazy nice, youll never get eye fatigue
Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 PM #17
jokercykoe
$ $

Kindle if you're using it for reading. I bought myself one and ended up buying a 2nd one for the girlfriend too. We both love it. E-ink is easy to read for hours on end plus I go 2-3 weeks between charges and I read a lot (Daily)

Nook Color if you want to root it and make a cheap android tablet/toy.
jokercykoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM #18
boxerfreeflow00
Never go full retard!

boxerfreeflow00 is a Supporting Member
Nook Color with rooted Android isn't that great (Friend has one), it's laggy and slow.

If you want:
Tablet get iPad
e-Reader get Kindle

PSN: Evil_Goat

My FeedBack 45 Positive & Counting
boxerfreeflow00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM #19
Diametunim

Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I bought the kindle for my girlfriend like 2 days after I posted this thread, She loved it thanks for the advice guys.
Diametunim is offline   Reply With Quote