PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 PM #22
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
We serve a few law offices. They're a pain in the ***.

Do most if not all of yours still use Word Perfect?
Oedipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM #23
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player
pa1ntball 56 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
we use all microsoft - word 2010 - outlook 2010 and the rest of the suite - we were word perfect a few years ago before I started working here.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM #24
EmergenC911
Token Black Guy.

has been a member for 10 years
EmergenC911 supports Pev's Paintball
I hate the techs who, despite me making a point to show I know what I'm doing/talking about, talk to me as if I'm an idiot. I understand doing that with people who sound clueless but when I make a point to express that I know what's going on and I know what I'm talking about I want to be treated as such -_-
Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 PM #25
Jinjiro

has been a member for 10 years
When I used to do network support, I had to deal with vendors a lot. Our Frontier ISP tech was pretty good, but she often had to hand things off to Verizon. They were terrible. We'd complain about a circuit or interface being down, and after they assured us it wasn't over and over again, someone would finally actually look and say "Oh yeah, I guess it is down..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergenC911 View Post
I hate the techs who, despite me making a point to show I know what I'm doing/talking about, talk to me as if I'm an idiot. I understand doing that with people who sound clueless but when I make a point to express that I know what's going on and I know what I'm talking about I want to be treated as such -_-
If I'm calling up my ISP, I usually just ask to speak directly with level 2 or a manager. If they don't, I just speak as fast and as technical as possible, which usually prompts them to get someone who actually knows stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
A while back... I had an old Sony Wega 57" projector screen that wouldn't turn on after a few years... and it's been sitting in our living room for maybe a year or 2 broken. I wanted to get rid of it, but since I can plug HDMI devices in it... I thought I would call one of those tech's that does free estimates. He opened it... and did some troubleshooting... and he estimated $400 for a new board and labor. I thanked him for his time, and planned on disposing. I looked online for the simptoms, and found that is was common issue that can be a $2 diode. I just bought the $2 diode from Sony's site, and soldered in the new one... and the TV is working great. I thought... if I blow it up fixing it with a $2 part, I am planning to throw it out anyway.
My co-worker just got rid of a 19" LCD monitor because it stopped turning on, and our company bought him a new 22". Me being me, I grabbed it and did a quick Google search. Turns out there's two capacitors that like to blow on the inverter. Sure enough, one had gone bad. I'm waiting on my local electronics store to get the right one in, but less than $2 later and I'll have another working monitor to use.
Jinjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM #26
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergenC911 View Post
While I understand where you're coming from, it is best if the tech assumes that everyone is an idiot. If the tech takes your word for something and your word turns out to be wrong/misinformed, it's now his problem. It's just easier if you let the tech do their thing, at least until you get the impression that they're trying to pull a fast one on you. This situation comes up fairly often for me when I'm dealing with consumer tech support; I enjoy the long pause after I throw a bunch of whiz-bang tech **** at them after they try to tell me that my router needs more speakers or my monitor needs more hard drive.
Oedipus is offline   Reply With Quote