IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
A General Guide to Paintball Photography and Photographers

After the mass influx of threads in the sub-forum, I decided to get my friends at The PhotoMOB together as well as other photographers that travel to national events to compile a sort of FAQ, if you will, about paintball photography and what we go through. I just want to show that photographers aren't rude people and that there's a reason why we get annoyed easily. The goal is to help players understand what makes us tick, why we go to events and why we get irritated when players ask for photos. If you have any questions, or comments, please feel free to post in this thread in a mature way and a photographer will answer!

Photographers: This is NOT a place to advertise your services or to try to rope teams into booking you. Please keep that to actual threads when events roll around.

What is Paintball Photography?
Paintball photography is simple: it's photographs of the sport of paintball, be it tournaments, scenario, rec ball or practices.

Why take photos of Paintball?
For me, personally, I have a legitimate love of the game and I think that could probably be said for a lot of us. I was never a great player, but I still wanted to be involved somehow and photography made sense. Other people have been involved with photography and wanted to give paintball a try.

I've seen some prices, why are they so high?
Prices are set based on quality of work and the time it takes us to process/edit them. Almost all of the money we make from teams goes back into fees incurred at the event, such as food, hotel and rental car so it's close to impossible to make a profit unless an event is local. When one person is paying for the photographer, it does get expensive. However, the cost of a team package spread out through your team will cost each player about $10 or less, give or take. Other photographers even have lower prices/shoot for free while still having quality photos. Be sure to check image quality before you go with the cheapest guy (see below).

I don't need a photographer, there's always free pics after the event
While that is true, how many times have you looked at a photographer's galleries and only found 3 images of yourself? The only photographer we know of that gets a mass amount of photos of everyone is Gary Baum of paintballphotography.com, but he's said himself that he shoots sponsored teams first and that he encourages teams to actually book photographers instead of waiting. There are NUMEROUS benefits from booking a photographer. Some examples are:
  • Photo priority: Your photos are completed first and sent out before general galleries are touched
  • Guaranteed photos of you and your team!
  • Some of us offer discounts to repeat customers, you end up saving money. Do research on who offers this
  • Magazine Submission: Some of us shoot for magazines or online media outlets such as Paintball X3 or Pro Paintball and it's a good way of getting you and your team some national exposure

There's so many photographers, though, how do I choose?
The market is competitive, yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't find quality from anyone. In fact, there's many photographers that are all shooting high quality images. There are things you need to consider when deciding between photographers. Some great questions that you can ask are:
  • What packages do you offer?
  • What does each package included?
  • When I receive your images will they be full-res with watermarking?
  • What's your typical turn around time?
  • What usage rights do I have to the photos?
  • Do you have references?
  • Where can I view your previous work?
  • How many years have you been doing this?

Most photographers have their team packages laid out in their threads and what comes with them, but don't be afraid to ask a question if something isn't answered. Do your research and don't settle for the cheap guy when his photos are sub-par.

How do I tell the difference in image quality?
That's a great question! Let's take a look at some photos

Looks like a great photo, right?

Well, it's not. Exposure is fine, composition could be a little better but it's not in focus in the right places. It looks fine when it's resized, but on close inspection, we see this.

Completely out of focus. Make sure that you view images that a photographer posts at the highest resolution possible, don't let a small image fool you!

It's after the event, where are my photos?
Be patient. If you weren't a paying customer, then photographers have no obligation to capture photos of you. Please don't get mad or upset when nobody has a single photograph of you if you didn't book a photographer. Remember, you don't have to book a full team package, if you find a photographer at an event, see if they'll take a photo of your game. You may not get all the benefits, but you'll still get photos.

Photographers seem rude when people ask for pics, why is that?
Understand, we've gotten a ton of PMs on local boards and on PbN, asking us when photos would be up. We have lives outside of paintball photography, as this is not a job for us. School, work and other things get in the way. A majority of the people PMing us are people that aren't even customers. It's not an effective way to find photos; wait for a photographer to post a thread stating when their photos will be up and look at websites.

I'm a Photographer and my thread keeps getting deleted, why?
Only PbN approved photographers with the Photographer's badge can make threads offering their services. If you don't have the badge, make sure to apply. If you get denied, then don't get discouraged! Keep practicing!

Well, I hope that helps everyone. Remember, if you have questions, then feel free to ask in here
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes

Last edited by IplayforRelentless : 09-03-2011 at 05:25 AM.
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM #2
Pakistani
VCU Rams

Annual Supporting Member
Pakistani is BST Legit
Pakistani is a Paintball photographer
Pakistani owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Pakistani is an NCPA player
Pakistani supports Empire
great thread

Buy my Cubix DM13 Setup!
Pakistani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM #3
llpaintball

llpaintball is a Paintball photographer
llpaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Great job! Good information clearly written. Thanks Man.
llpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM #4
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Legit thread is legit. Not sure if the IQ sample pic is the best example though. It's pretty sharp for being shot at what looks like f/2.8 and blown up so much.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM #5
Skipperdawg
Go Big or Go Homo

has been a member for 10 years
Skipperdawg is a Paintball photographer
Skipperdawg plays in the PSP
Skipperdawg supports Team VICIOUS
Skipperdawg is Legendary
sticky in PSP section? Good stuff David!

RIP SkipsPics - I'll Miss You Vicious - Photomob
Jerky Bob Fan Club - WVU Paintball - PPSC
Greensburg Distortion MXL #3 - Eastern Conf Champs 2009 We Came, We Won, They Canceled the League
My Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1461486
Skipperdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM #6
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
Legit thread is legit. Not sure if the IQ sample pic is the best example though. It's pretty sharp for being shot at what looks like f/2.8 and blown up so much.
That's what you see high res in PS. Change the zoom to 100% and it looks like that. It's my image
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:05 PM #7
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

how do i apply for a photographer badge i will be shooting at D.C. open and it would be nice to promote a bit.

Tpa Paintball, Where the best players in Ohio play.

1 of Alot Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R
ImpulseFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM #8
Pakistani
VCU Rams

Annual Supporting Member
Pakistani is BST Legit
Pakistani is a Paintball photographer
Pakistani owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Pakistani is an NCPA player
Pakistani supports Empire
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3092053

takes about 1-2 months and atleast 2+ tries(most of the time).

Buy my Cubix DM13 Setup!
Pakistani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:22 PM #9
LastarsonisT
I only have one rule...

has been a member for 10 years
LastarsonisT is a Paintball photographer
Great thread Dave, hopefully its a resource all of those involved in the sport make use of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakistani View Post
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3092053

takes about 1-2 months and atleast 2+ tries(most of the time).
^ This. ^

V And This V

It also takes a bit of experience to earn a badge. Its not for every GWC (guy with camera) that thinks they can jump out on the field with their cameras set to auto/green box. A national event is not a place to learn photography, but a place to showcase the skills you've developed over time shooting regional events. The badge is PbN's way of saying "This guy/gal has proven themselves and they have earned the right to a private forum and advertise their services."

"Photography is about showing who you are, not about who is in front of the lens." - Jerry Ghionis

Fotos
PhotoMOB
LastarsonisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM #10
splatter96

splatter96 plays in the PSP
splatter96 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
splatter96 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
splatter96 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I know it's a year late, but who was it that was selling the fantastic photos at 2010 NPPL Vegas? Here's one that I got of my team, and I would like to credit the photographer:

I also got some nice wooden frames for the photos there.
splatter96 is offline   Reply With Quote