cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cfl mike supports Team VICIOUS
cfl mike is for the Gunfight
cfl mike has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Reg Results

Alright before I go on, let me tell you when I eventually got to doing this I wasnt able to do it at the good field I play at, so I had to do it at my local field. So basically due to the situation I was not able to video tape, but I did record everything. Though I am ordering a really nice chrono here soon, so I can redo the test with a video camera watching and with more regs. Unfortunately I was only able to test 3 regs (actually, 4 but I will explain). Like I said though I have a REALLY nice chrono coming in, in like 2-3 weeks, then I will redo this under better circumstances.

So first off I used my "Ultimate Ion" Project gun for this test. Upgrades are as follows: Qlock, L7v2, Killa detents, Virtue Laser Eyes, XE'd body, Virtue OLED board/w Destroy Grips, CP trigger, Bob Long Gear Drive ASA, 360* QEV, Virtue EZ On 2.0, Dye Membrane Pad Mod (this actually wasnt on though for this test), Freak Barrel Kit, and of course the regs. Just incase anyone felt like they had to know.

So for this test I used the same paint, same barrel, same bore, same gun, same hopper, same tank, and even the same spot and chrono. Paint was Midnight and bored at about a .689. The paint is average, though when I bored the barrel and went through the paint there didnt appear to be any deformed paint. Before I tested each reg I shot 15 shots out (not chrono'd) just to kick out the jams. Now note these are all fairly new regs (usage wise), as I havent put much air through them. For each test I shot about 75 - 100 shots over the chrono for each of them. I was consistent with shot to shot timing. Also each reg was cleaned, inspected, and lubed all in the same fashion a few days before the test. My gun isnt perfectly tuned yet, but I am sure it wont be a issue of any sort. For those interested, none of the regs had any shoot down or problems recharging at 20 BPS.

Anyways to the good stuff.

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

I want your G6r parts and upgrades, sell them to me, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3808906

Last edited by cfl mike : 08-29-2011 at 03:46 PM.
cfl mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM #2
cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

As for the results:

First up is the Dye Hyper2 Regulator, it was used on the PM5-7 and DM4-7 I believe. It at the time, was one of the best regs out there (still probably is). This one is the most used out of the bunch. I got it around 06-07 but didnt have a real use for it until 08, and even then has seen very little use. It probably has ~5-10 cases through it so it is probably not broken in yet. I chrono'd it around 280 FPS (so I didnt have to hear the dam chrono going off the whole time, they dont play at 300 FPS at that field, note, part of why I dont play there). On average this shot about 2-4 +/- FPS difference from shot to shot. As for the spikes it didnt have many, but they would bring up the FPS any from 20 - 30 FPS higher than average. Here is an example of what I recorded: 281, 283, 282, 285, 280, 280, 280, 281, 284, 287, 290, 286, 285, 284, 312, 290, 281, 282, 282, 285. This was the most used reg out of the ones I tested.

Second, the CP Regulator, the one I have is a V1 shorty/w gauge port. This was probably purchased around 2009-2010, and is probably the least used of the regs, with about 3 cases through it. This is well known as one of the best regs out on the market. This reg was also chrono'd at about 280 FPS, (read above why its not 300). On average, it shot 4-5 +/- FPS difference from shot to shot. This reg had the least amount of spikes, and the spikes it got were minimal compared to the others. Example of chrono recordings : 285, 288, 289, 302, 289, 288, 284, 287, 283, 289, 289, 290, 291, 284, 287, 286, 290.

The last one I tested was the Stock Ion Regulator, now I actually tested 2 of these, just to check for consistencies. Both of these regs, have about the same use on them, which is around 5-8 cases, so they still probably are not broke in either. Different variations of this reg are all over newer Smart Parts guns, and even the Luxe. This reg was also chrono'd in the ball park of 280 FPS. These regs had an average shot to shot difference of 3-5 +/-. Now this reg had the most spikes and the spikes some times lasted 3-5 SHOTS OR MORE! Not to mention is was the only reg that had a downward spikes as well. Really it was hard picking apart the results to get the average +/- difference on this one. It would seem that some times this reg was all over the place. Here is an example of recorded results from Reg 1: 283, 283, 284, 287, 302, 310, 290, 280, 281, 285, 273, 284, 275, 281, 281, 284, 281, 283, 288, 289, 285, 312, 310, 302, 300, 299, 288, 289, 287, 285, 280, 283, 278, 285.

Reg 2 : 290, 285, 287, 285, 286, 284, 280, 281, 272, 283, 287, 283, 287, 300, 315, 288, 289, 285, 280, 290, 291, 285, 283, 288.

I thinks thats enough so you get the idea of how it went.

Conclusion: Well unfortunately, I was not able to video tape, but if interested, when I get my chrono, I will conduct a video taped test with more regs. I figured though I would post this, since I did it anyways. So as for the regs you can tell that none of them really have that much use on them. I would have to say the winner would be the Hyper2, also note that it is the most used. Second would go to the CP (maybe even give it first place), this is the least used reg out of the bunch though. Now it was the Smart Parts reg that surprised me the most. It was the only reg to have spikes lasting multiple shots, and have downward spikes, not to mention it had the most of them as well. I tested 2 REGS! To confirm this too, and both regs have little use on them but more than the CP.

Now this isnt the most accurate test ever, but I did keep a lot of constants. Also as a side note, every single reg did not have a recharge problem shooting 20 BPS. My gun wasnt fully tuned yet either, but it was using something close to stock settings. So I wouldnt worry about the gun skewing results. Also every reg was cleaned, inspected, and lubed a few days before the test, all in the same fashion.

Anyways, there you have it (for now) , hope you enjoy.

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

I want your G6r parts and upgrades, sell them to me, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.

Last edited by cfl mike : 08-29-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM #3
xxtheshockerxx
LS4

Annual Supporting Member
xxtheshockerxx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Tl;dr
Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 AM #4
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
How many cases of paint have you shot through each reg before the test?
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM #5
cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

I posted it on each regs description.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 PM #7
cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

Thanks man hopefully I will get a chance to do a better test, with more regs, video taped. My chrono should be here in like 2-3 weeks. Its a dam good one too, I am actually using it to test my regular gun bullet load (I make my own ammo).

Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM #8
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl mike View Post
I posted it on each regs description.
Whoops, i need to work on my sentence skimming skills.

nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 PM #9
RogueShooter

The one problem I have with this is that there's no way to prove those spikes were due to the regs and not due to another factor- like out-of-round paint that just happened to fit into the barrel differently. You would need a much larger sample size to really be able to say it was the reg and not the paint or some other variable.

Not saying I don't appreciate the effort, just saying that this is far from conclusive.
GOG/DLX - Valken - QuickShot Paintball - FogDoc.com - TechT - Deadlywind
RogueShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:45 AM #10
cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShooter View Post
The one problem I have with this is that there's no way to prove those spikes were due to the regs and not due to another factor- like out-of-round paint that just happened to fit into the barrel differently. You would need a much larger sample size to really be able to say it was the reg and not the paint or some other variable.

Not saying I don't appreciate the effort, just saying that this is far from conclusive.
Well I mentioned what I did with it at the top. I used a sample of I think it was 50-100 balls and obviously in order to bore it, I started with a smaller size, so I was able to pick that paint out. Not that there was many. Also this was for each reg test, but I like I said I used the same bore for all of them.

I dont want to say its the most conclusive thing I have ever done, which is why I said like 10 times, when I get my chrono in I will do this again, video taped, and with more regs; but as far as performance goes. I mean this is pretty dam close to being, concrete conclusive. I really think the biggest factor that could have skewed test results is the chrono (even though it was the big red field ones) and time in between shots. Even though my time between shots was measured, it was kind of done in my head, I would just do like a "1 Mississippi" then shoot kind of thing. The only other thing I would add to my suspicions list, is if the barrel bore its self, was not bored properly, but either way even if it wasnt, it still would have remained a constant.