PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM #1
JJRoth

JJRoth is a Professional paintball player
Discussion: The possible NPPL/PSP 'merger'

So everyone who doesn't live under a rock has heard that there are talks between the NPPL and PSP over merging into one national league next year.

Let's get some discussion going about what you think about it?

From what I've heard so far. The proposal is a 7man race-to format with sideline coaching and semi-auto capped at either 12.5 or 15bps.

Now being the devil's advocate type that I am, and with everyone in the PSP team threads assuming that the PSP will be the dominant force in this merger, I am going to go and say in MY humble opinion that the NPPL will be the dominant force. And that 7man will live on, albeit in a hybrid format that I heard we might see in the DC allstar game...

With there being 16 pro teams in the NPPL, and others in the PSP that do not participate in our league, how do you see the pro bracket looking like for 2012?

Should they bring back a semi-pro division to handle the influx of new teams?

Will you play this new merged national league?

Ok.... GO!
JJRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM #2
spokeonawheel
Matt.O.

spokeonawheel is a Professional paintball player
spokeonawheel plays in the PSP
spokeonawheel plays in the APPA Pro division
...I'm down !
Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 PM #3
ATLballaz (Banned)

ATLballaz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ATLballaz supports Sherwood Forest
ATLballaz plays in the APPA D4 division
ATLballaz is Legendary
While I love old school paintball and coaching has no real place in old school play,xball was the modern answer to slow boring games that sometimes happen from a viewers take.Coaching while it takes some of the exciting play out of the game look at the dynasty russian final?You could say if the pit side could coach that would not have happened,but the snake side should have been enough.The argument for coaching is exhausting.

Main stream PB will need things to heat up in order to keep the games fast and exciting for the fans.As a marketing angle for this argument,why are all PB vids showing highlights?Who would be attracted to the game with long games with no action?

I being a player/coach/fan love the game as long as I can play no matter how it evolves.
Paintball tried to adapt to a rough economy by lowering the rof,this was said to help the divisional players. I personally think it was to help the budget for paintball sponsors.Pro paint budgets 15.4 shooting 80-120 cases was stiff.Well now the changes made have turn things full circle and points are long in xball and that format is loosing it's luster.

What ever happens the young generation of players need to be attracted to the game by making it exciting,or it will be no different then a boring *** baseball/football game that you could change the channel in a heartbeat on to watch the man with the afro paint happy tree's.

15bps and a few more bunkers would speed the games up in the psp,nppl taking on ramping or something to speed the game up.Make the nppl as attractive as xball was in 2005.

Last edited by ATLballaz : 08-28-2011 at 10:56 PM.
ATLballaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM #4
wildcat65gt500
Hack the planet!!

wildcat65gt500 plays in the APPA D4 division
wildcat65gt500 supports DLX Technology
They would almost have to bring back the semi-pro division just by the shear influx of pro teams from both leagues. I'd almost say take the bottom 5 or so teams from Pro in each league and the top 4 teams from the D1 divisions and theres your Semi-pro teams.

7 man race-to seems like a good compromise. And keeping a capped semi is good but then theres the argument of how you keep the cheaters from just using ramping or what not.

Either way im sure I'll still be shooting people for years to come so meh whatever happens, happens.
wildcat65gt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM #5
naughty88

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
naughty88 is a Professional paintball player
naughty88 plays in the PSP
naughty88 donated to help Peyton Trent
naughty88 plays in the APPA Pro division
naughty88 supports DLX Technology
My humble opinion there needs to be 18 pro teams, and then drop the rest to semi-Pro, etc...

7-man race to with 15bps is going to be INSANE
G.I. Sportz, DLX Technologies, PB Rack
Exalt, Virtue Spire,Pbnation
Diamond Hill Paintball Park
OLED Luxe For Sale
naughty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM #6
p8ntcheck101
NW Baller

p8ntcheck101 supports Cereal Killerz 2
I think the 7-man race to format would be great, however I would prefer to see coaching taken out of the picture if they were to merge into one format. I feel that coaching really inhibits players from making those amazing moves that keep the fans in excitement, and that make our sport so fun to play and watch.

Mind you, coaching adds a different element, and style of play to xball that many people prefer over traditional 7 man, and I think it has it's place in xball. However I feel that if they are going to merge into one race to format, it would make for much more exciting paintball if they removed coaching. Take away all of the outside influences and let the players play, and showcase their natural skills and instincts

Last edited by p8ntcheck101 : 08-29-2011 at 04:54 PM.
p8ntcheck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:55 PM #7
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Let's move to 10-man with X-Ball rules. The original ones, 2 20 minute halves, full auto 15bps. In the woods.

(Fair warning, this one's gotten a bit lengthy as I've been thinking at my desk!)

Seriously, though, I think the two formats are different enough, or should/could be, that two leagues can work... if done right. The problems stem from the fact that the same companies are trying to fund entries into both, and some teams are trying to play both. For the really well funded, highly sponsored teams, great. For everyone else, it's choose one or the other, and miss out on half the event coverage and field time.

My analogy with paintball has long been comparing it (somewhat) to racing. What we've got with two leagues is kind of like Indy Car and Nascar. Two very different styles of competition, sometimes running the same venues, but not at the same time. Could those two entities merge, running a hybrid stock/open wheel car, adapting a common format, and having the series owners sharing in both the revenues and responsibilities? Doubtful. First off, the fans wouldn't stand for it, on either side. The participants from both, well, you're going to lose some top level talent, through merging the fields, teams not being able to adapt, things like that. The field fillers would go away completely, down to lower levels of competition. It could even cause a couple start-up leagues/series to launch to fill the gap left by the merger.

The same kind of thing could happen with paintball. Let's be honest, the vast majority of us in the game have HUGE egos, and I'm not talking about guns. That goes all the way up to the top, the people who run the leagues. Think any of them REALLY want to share control of a league with the other side? Sure, it helps the manufacturers and paint suppliers, but is it really good for the players? Adapt a format that's different - again - from what's been played?

Maybe the way to really go about this is to make the two leagues seriously different. Going back to the racing analogy, Indy Car/Formula One are technology showcases. Go fast above all else, technology being restricted only for safety and standardization. Stock cars have stuck with carburated (going away now) pushrod V8's and leaded gas (now gone) far longer than street cars, technological dinosaurs comparatively, but endured and thrived in popularity. Is something like that feasible in paintball tournament play? Make one league seriously high-speed in the equipment. Let it rip! Full auto/ramping, however much paint is wanted, in-mask communications with coaches, fields designed to showcase that firepower. Make the other league something more restrictive in the gear. Maybe allow only one battery operated device per player - gun or hopper. Restrict the paint carried out on the field. This league could be the showcase of player skill over equipment technology, and the fields would have to reflect this as well. Capping technology sure doesn't slow a game down, as anyone who has watched or played pump knows. There's way less paint in the air, sure, but the players are forced to play hard, fast, and smart, or they don't make it.

Then again, maybe I'm just venting the rants of an aging player who doesn't really get top-level play.
[dennismiller]That's just my opinion... I could be wrong![/dennismiller]

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM #8
naughty88

Annual Supporting Member
naughty88 is a Professional paintball player
naughty88 plays in the PSP
naughty88 donated to help Peyton Trent
naughty88 plays in the APPA Pro division
naughty88 supports DLX Technology
Nice Scout. Very Nice..

10-man was awesome, especially in the woods!