Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Thread of the Week: More on the 2012 PSP Pro Division

I took a break last night from sandbagging my apartment door and nailing plywood sheets over my window, after making sure my food supplies would last me for a month and my ammunition could take down an army of looters (or zombies) to ruminate (pontificate?) a bit on the 2012 PSP Pro Division.

To start with, we have the current PSP Pro teams:
1. Dynasty
2. Legion
3. Damage
4. Ironmen
5. Aftershock
6. Impact
7. Vicious
8. CEP
9. Infamous
10. X-Factor

And we have the current NPPL Pro teams:
1. XSV
2. Avalanche
3. Blast
4. Legend
5. Arsenal
6. Uprising
7. Mutiny
8. Thunder
9. Explicit
10. Vendetta

And finally the PSP D1 teams rumored to be going pro:
1. 187 Crew
2. NEH
3. Assault
4. Top Gun

That totals 24 teams but, since the division is capped at 16, 8 of them need to ďgo awayĒ. Personally, I doubt weíll see 16 pro teams. Iím betting on 12.

I think the current ranks will lose someone (the rumor Iím hearing is that Infamous is losing its funding and breaking up, with players going to various west coast pro teams or retiring). And I think half of the 10 NPPL Pro teams (Mutiny, Legend, Uprising, Explicit, Vendetta) would probably benefit from a year in PSP D1/Semi-Pro to acclimate to the format before attempting a jump to pro (and thatís not to say that all 5 of them will have the funding for PSP pro next year, so some could well break up). Furthermore, I doubt if Bobby has the stomach for PSP pro anymore, so Blast may be out. And I doubt that Assault will jump up (thatís not to say I think they couldnít, but going from D3 to Pro in 2 years? Wow!).

It may be harder to figure out NEH / Avalanche (three players play on both teams, so I donít see how both teams could survive next year. Avalanche is higher rated in a higher division with better funding and Frank could kick my *** from Huntington Beach to Fantasy of Flight and back). And Arsenal (did they break up again? Are they back together again? Did they break up and then get back together?). Iím ignoring the ProPaintball posting that claimed Texas Storm was moving up.

This much, at least, seems sure:
1. The bulk of PSP pro teams are likely to return. This includes Dynasty, Damage, Ironmen, Impact, Vicious, CEP, X-Factor, Aftershock. Iím leaving out the Russians because of all the rumors swirling around them, but my money is on their returning, as well. I donít know if I would have put ĎShock up there, but the changes they made make me believe they are in it for the long haul. You simply donít bring in a new coach halfway through your last season (if you know it will be your last). I am not doubting X-factor simply because the rumor has been that they are done at the end of the year for the last 3 years (or more) and Iím tired of it. Let me start the rumor that they wont be done at the end of the year.
2. XSV will play PSP pro next year. They will have pockets full of JT cash and Rich, Jr, Troll and Aaron all have PSP pro experience. Rich can plan or coach (or both) and he has a core of players heís been working with. XSV can potentially reach out to homeless pro to supplement his roster. If the Infamous rumor is true, a lot of those guys have ties to XSV.
3. 187 will play pro next year. They won D1 so Pro is what logically comes next. 187 is, however, in a very different position from XSV - they have no pro experience on the roster and much less access to pro players (the only proís up here are the former Hurricane players, all of whom are 2 years retired from national play or rostered on NEH). I know 187 has reached out to players in the past (Thomas at the start of this year, Alfred after Chicago and both Billy and Brian guested with them in the AXBL in 2009), so I donít think they are against bringing someone in, if it is the right someone and the right situation. But my gut tells me theyíll stick with whatís worked so far Ėsticking to their core players and picking up prospects they can develop (like Dan, whoís become one of their two or three best, and Greg and to a lesser extent the unfortunately litigious Tiensy). Just instead of grooming a few new players, they will all be challenged to step up to a new level in the pros. I have no worries about their funding.

Of course, that leaves us with 11 teams. I am fairly certain the league would need 12. So that last spot is up for debate. Unless Iím totally off base, in which caseÖ oh well.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 AM #2
JJRoth

JJRoth is a Professional paintball player
JJRoth plays in the APPA Pro division
I think alot of what happens in 2012 hinges on which league is the dominant force in this 'merger' per se...
JJRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM #3
cngpballer
Not failure, Epic Failure

cngpballer supports Team VICIOUS
cngpballer supports Sherwood Forest
cngpballer posts videos on PbNation
cngpballer supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRoth View Post
I think alot of what happens in 2012 hinges on which league is the dominant force in this 'merger' per se...
This and the logical answer is going to be the PSP.
Need EKK gear? I got it! Pm me for details
F/S/T Grills. Bring me flex's or profits.
cngpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:33 PM #4
Freak36

Freak36 is an NCPA player
Freak36 plays in the APPA D4 division
So I take it Frank didn't retire?
Freak36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 PM #5
Euouae

Euouae supports Cereal Killerz 2
Euouae donated to help Peyton Trent
Euouae supports Bob Gurnsey
Euouae supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRoth View Post
IF it happens.

.Impact <3 HK.
Euouae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM #6
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Mega Moderator
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
This entire exercise is based around the idea that the merger does happen and the PSP format wins out.

If there were only 16 pro teams then I'd like to see the extra NPPL pro teams and the top D1 PSP teams in semi-pro.

I'd bet that, given the choice, the players that overlap on Avalanche/Hurricanes would stay with the Hurricanes. I'm sure Frank could pick up some pro talent from other teams that may fall apart and still do fine.

NEPb - Simonized - Inception Designs - Destructive Customs - Clockwork Clothing - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 AM #7
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

I was hoping for more of a debate after I got done reading. Oh well.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM #8
trogdor444

say there's 1 league, it's capped at 12 teams but of the above mentioned you end up with say 14-16 seriously interested teams. how would they (PSP?) determine who got the spots and who would be forced down a level?

obvious easy answer would say let em all in but this is hypothetically speaking

Section 8
trogdor444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM #9
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
there would be no reason to cap at 12 unless the league doubted teams' ability to last the year (in which case, you have your answer). The way the brackets work, up to 16 can be managed without changing the Fri-Sat arrangement.

BUT, if they did decide only to have 12 "just because", I think the PSP would consider team history, ability to commit to the full season and maybe ability to perform at the pro level. I think the PSP would prefer a team that had demonstrable funding for the year but would likely take a beating over a team that had no demonstrable funding but looked like they could win a few matches. But that's just my thinking.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM #10
Freak36

Freak36 is an NCPA player
Freak36 plays in the APPA D4 division
J. Stein, out of curiosity, why do you think Bob Long wouldn't "have the stomach" for PSP Pro? Is there some sort of animosity between him and PSP or? Just wondering, because I remember seeing a video about Bob and his son talking about the new xball format and used to be all gung ho about it. I think I also saw his son on the Texas Storm roster this year. I kinda get the "I'm a badass" persona from Bob and Blast has always been a good team, I could see him going with the flow of things and putting his team in Pro.

So just for the sake of adding to the discussion... I'm going go go with the rainbow and unicorns theory that nobody gets dropped and keeps their funding. Arsenal loses some of their guys who already play on PSP teams but pick up players or merge with a NE D1 team.

Pro 2012
1. Dynasty
2. Legion
3. Damage
4. Ironmen
5. Aftershock
6. Impact
7. Vicious
8. CEP
9. Infamous
10. X-Factor
11. 187 cRew
12. XSV
13. Avalanche
14. Blast
15. Arsenal
16. Other NPPL or D1 PSP team who gets the funding

Semi-Pro 2012
1. Uprising
2. Mutiny
3. Thunder
4. Explicit
5. Vendetta
6. NE Hurricanes
7. Top Gun
8. Jesters
9. Assault
10. Critical Wrecking Crew
11. TX Storm

I'm usually wrong, so that probably won't happen. But there's my prediction. And I didn't realize that Avalanche was still alive and kicking, was the whole "Frank retiring and Avalanche disbanding" all rumor or?

If PSP/NPPL did merge, do you think they would add back a 5th event and drop a teams lowest score? If so, where would you put that 5th event? Seems like we're guaranteed Huntington Beach, Chicago, Orlando, and Jersey (or other NE location)... 5th event at Galveston, Vegas, or... ?
Freak36 is offline   Reply With Quote