Community Focus

Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 PM #22
Freak36

Freak36 is an NCPA player
Freak36 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
Why?
Because of the influx of NPPL pro, NPPL d1 teams and current PSP d1 teams. I believe that it's not fair to require every NPPL pro team to have to take a pro PSP spot. As you showed, the pro division is pretty eff'in expensive, I would assume that not all of them could afford it and that semi pro would be cheaper to play(or would semi pro cost about the same?). Also, this would give them time to become more familiarized with the new format while not, I guess, 'belittle' them by simply deregulating them into one giant d1 division. I know I would be pissed if I went from being a pro team in NPPL for a few seasons to have to play d1.

I also don't think its good to have this big gap between D1 and Pro. I know I mentioned earlier that if one or so of the top d1 teams wanted to, and had the support to do so, still should. Mainly because you guys have been playing in the highest division, much like CEP last year, and they were able to bump up. And if the team feels ready, has the support, why not? Of course there's also my selfish reasoning and my issue with lack of diversity(no north east teams) in the pro ranks.

But I suppose if you're just going to leave out semi pro and call d1 open, that works too.

Quote:
I wonder if there is a reason the PSP never adopted this?
Seems like most of the things they do have a reason (whether the general public agrees with it or not...).
True, I actually have mixed feelings about that. I can see how on one hand it'd help teams kinda get their *** in gear knowing that they could be deregulated... and in theory, make them practice harder and be more competitive. My main reason behind the whole regulation/deregulation process is that it would help properly place all of the merged teams.

Butttt, at the same time... if a team earns their pro spot, should they be forced down to semi pro? I have a feeling that could create issues with teams losing sponsors. It does seem to work fine with Millenium(and I think CXBL as well).

Speaking of CXBL, I don't know if anyone noticed, but they appear to have 110-ish teams. I'm not sure if they're all active or not, but if they are they seem to be doing something right up there.
Freak36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 PM #23
monkeyspirithand
GIPwonworldcup

monkeyspirithand plays in the PSP
monkeyspirithand owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyspirithand plays in the APPA D3 division
monkeyspirithand has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Nppl AllStars:
Alfred, Jerry on TKO, Billy Bernachia and Thomas Mantoni, Matt Jackson from VCK, Matt Sossoman, Christian Small, Sam Monville, and the rest 187.
Practice with VCK about once a month, watch vids on the interwebz, and went to PSP Galveston and Chicago

Some of them will do well, so of them will do poorly, its up to the teams to bring their style of play to the pro's and see how they match up. Honestly my bet on doing good in the pro's would prolly be 187Crew, T1, and the canes. TKO is an on and off team so it would depend, Jesters might also have a good chance, all others need just a little more work to become pros.

I would put all NPPL Pro teams that dont currently play in the PSP in a new Semi-Pro division. I personally would not like to see a millenium style top 2 teams bump up solely because if there happen to say be 4 pro-caliber teams in semi-pro and only 2 are allowed to bump, those other two will be stuck in a division they will probrably destroy teams in. Current PSP D1 teams would have the choice to bump into either pro or semipro.
monkeyspirithand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 AM #24
Citrus_Maximus
www.understood.com

Annual Supporting Member
Citrus_Maximus is a Supporting Member
Citrus_Maximus works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
We can also talk about zombies.
Again, I will refrain, as I don't believe in them.

(Actually, I do believe in zombies)
Thank god, for a minute I thought I was going have to re-evaluate our friendship.
Citrus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM #25
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyspirithand View Post
...I would put all NPPL Pro teams that dont currently play in the PSP in a new Semi-Pro division. I personally would not like to see a millenium style top 2 teams bump up solely because if there happen to say be 4 pro-caliber teams in semi-pro and only 2 are allowed to bump, those other two will be stuck in a division they will probrably destroy teams in.
You are neglecting the 2 teams that will drop down from Pro. It still evens out.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM #26
monkeyspirithand
GIPwonworldcup

monkeyspirithand plays in the PSP
monkeyspirithand owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyspirithand plays in the APPA D3 division
monkeyspirithand has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
You are neglecting the 2 teams that will drop down from Pro. It still evens out.
Ok, so now there would be 4 pro caliber teams that would dominate and make top 4 every time?

I also honestly like to see up and coming teams be able to jump up and prove themselves in the pro division. Teams like Impact, Damage, Aftermath, and particularly Xfactor moving up and bringing their style of play to the pro level.
monkeyspirithand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM #27
Seekey
Dave

Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyspirithand View Post
Ok, so now there would be 4 pro caliber teams that would dominate and make top 4 every time?

I also honestly like to see up and coming teams be able to jump up and prove themselves in the pro division. Teams like Impact, Damage, Aftermath, and particularly Xfactor moving up and bringing their style of play to the pro level.
So your saying they couldn't win in SP with only 4 "Pro" teams. But you want them to have an opertunity to move up and play a full division of Pro teams.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM #28
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
PSP can handle 16 Pro teams without changing the Fri/Sat prelim schedule. Is anyone really expecting there to be more than 16 teams capable of being competitive in Pro next year? I would thus be surprised if there was a promotion/relegation system put in place. The sport/industry is simply not in a position where the mechanics of that would work very well.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote