Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM #1
tallypbplayer

Wireless/internet question

My brother and I just moved into a new place and set up out internet. Our internet provider is Comcast and should be "preferred" internet speed. We have a Cisco linksys 2500 router. I ran a Cisco internet speed test through the routers program and it read DLS 12.39 and an ULS of 4.17.

When I play Xbox live I have been lagging a bit and when running netflix it keeps adjusting the play back and even pandora was having problems playing songs.

I have tried to google what the average speed should be but couldnt get a very clear answer. My question is if this speed is good/bad or if its my router/internet provider. Any info would be helpful.
Worr, the wee tot:"Clinton ****ed up a lot of things, but he pretty much managed to avoid spending us into a hole like Bush and now Obama."
sdwinder9x:"Yeah, like Monica Lewinski's mouth."
harjukewm:"Will we be hearing of stories about the second time you lost your virginity as well?"
tallypbplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 AM #2
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
to the op

first off see if the firmware for the router is up to date. comcast has more then one cable modem. one is just a cable modem.the other is a modem with wifi and a phone port.if you have the one with the built in wifi and phone then remove your router and use the one from comcast. if your using and older sb5200 or other cable modem pick up one of the newer dosci 3.0 modems.how comcast gives you those new fast speeds is by bonding more then one cable modem channel. if your router firmware up to date then check the router settings. ie wifi speed and if all the setting are right. on some router the firmware has a setting that if one pc or port starts hogging the bandwith it slow down that device.also check to see that your wifi is not open and you have lechers.if the gaming system and pc still having packet loss try using a thrid party firmware like tomato.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 AM #3
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
re:

one or two quick things to check is that all the wires are tight and you done have a lot of splitters between you and the cable modem. to many and you have low signal noise.to much noise and cable modem might have to slow down. most cable modem if ou google the brand will tell you how to log into it.log onto the modem and do a print screen of the signal to noise and channel info. if it to low or night you may need to call a service tech out to check the wire from the street to your house.on older homes you may have the wrong type of splitters that killing your digital signal. (is they any snow on and of the tv in the home???) if there is then your house has a signal/noise issue.