mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ralpst View Post
You're right with your statistics, and I realized that I made an error by not quoting the right demographic in my original post. I had been basing my numbers on families with children from this article that I had originally read in the St. Cloud Times (you can't get the original link on their website anymore, but here's a copy below). I didn't get a chance to proofread my post and I messed it up. My apologies.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4539957

Here's the most relevant quote:

"Sept. 29--New data released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau show the struggling economy is pushing a growing number of St. Cloud families into poverty.

The American Community Survey estimates show 31.6 percent -- nearly one-third -- of St. Cloud families with related children under 18 years had an income below the poverty level in 2009.

That's substantially higher than the number of Minnesota families with children in poverty, 12 percent, and nearly double the national figure of 17 percent."

Also, beware lumping District 6 together. It is one of the most oddly-drawn districts I have ever seen. It includes St. Cloud, which is a fast-growing but poor area while simultaneously including the extremely wealth Western suburbs of the Twin Cities and the extremely wealthy Eastern suburbs like Stillwater, Dellwood, etc. Trying to interpret anything statistically meaningful for the district as a whole is an exercise in futility.
From my own experience and the data I quoted I would have to respectfully disagree. I grew up in one of the first-ring of suburbs around Minneapolis. Having relatives and visiting the area weekly for more than a decade I would characterize the St. Cloud/Sauk Rapids/Luxembourg/Sartell area as a regional center with extremely high development centered around Highway 10 and the river. St. Cloud has several advantages that the other regional cities (I.E. Duluth, Mankato, Rochester, Moorhead/Fargo) the least of which include is its location close to the suburbs of the Twin Cities and the Northstar Corridor.

The main problem with the statistic you have listed is called the MAUP problem: the boundary comparison between all of Minnesota and the United States is not apples to apples; nor is the features of the communities the same. If we compare the poverty level of families with children about Duluth, Mankato or even in the general vicinity of the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities you will see a higher poverty rate and the cause is quite simple: college kids with children (IE young adults attending school, working part-time and who have children). The St. Cloud Times (being naturally biased) would interpret and report this statistic to make it sound worse than the reality of the situation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sorry everyone else. -----------
Long story short it has very little to do with the development and economic policies of your representative. Although, her positions don't necessarily help the existing urban phenomena.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM #108
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Names that it seems we can add to the GOP potential list

-Rick Perry
-Sarah Palin
-Rudy
-Paul Ryan

I'd support a Newt/Ryan ticket.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:38 PM #109
Swerve22

has been a member for 10 years
Don't forget about Carl Weathers.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 PM #110
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

http://www.themoneyillusion.com/?p=10489

Quote:
I’m for Gary Johnson because I believe the War on Drug Using Americans is the greatest problem facing this country. But he won’t win. Of those who might I’m increasingly impressed with Mitt Romney.

1. Romney doesn’t consider global warming to be a hoax.

2. He refuses to join the other Republicans in criticizing fiat money and/or calling for tighter money.

3. He understands that jobs are the big problem.

4. He has Greg Mankiw advising him.

5. He recently came out for UI personal accounts, a very Singaporean solution that even Singapore doesn’t have.

Yes, I’m sure you can find a few cases where he throws red meat to the populists, but mostly in areas that won’t tie his hands as President. I’m not excited about the Mass health care reform, but at least he tried to solve a very real problem—45 million uninsured. I don’t see many good alternative proposals coming out of the GOP. And let’s not forget that lots of conservatives supported Romney’s bill, until Obama adopted the same idea.

Matt Yglesais mentioned the personal UI accounts idea, but then went off on a tangent that seemed, in my eyes, slightly misleading. He cites empirical results that support Romney’s proposal, and yet I’d bet the average reader of Yglesias’s post thinks he’s criticizing it. See what you think. The research shows that unemployment insurance has one inefficient effect (discouraging employment due to potential loss of benefits), but perhaps an even bigger beneficial effect (encouraging optimal job search by making workers less liquidity constrained.) Ronney’s proposal is presumably aimed at getting the best of both worlds. No disincentive effects from a potential loss of UI benefits, but also a financial cushion to fall back on while you search.

Josh Hendrickson does a good job explaining why Romney was right in saying that corporations are composed of people. Romney’s critics would argue that they are rich people, but that’s not at all clear. What is clear is that corporations should not pay taxes (on capital income), rich people should pay taxes (on consumption.)

The best argument for Romney? Look at the other GOP figures considered to be “major candidates.”

BTW, with Perry entering the race there’s a lot of debate about Texas. Although I don’t like Perry, I do like the Texas model. I did a post defending Texas a few weeks back; here are a few highlights:

1. Of the 7 south central states between Georgian and Arizona, 6 are seeing population growth below the national average. Texas has seen very fast population growth, for quite a long time.

2. Other south central states like Louisiana, Oklahoma, New Mexico, etc, are energy rich. Texas grew extremely rapidly when the energy industry was depressed in the 1980s and 1990s.

3. All seven south central states have very cheap housing prices.

4. Texas has no state income tax, the other 6 south central states have one.

5. Lots of poor, middle class, and rich people move to Texas every year. Revealed preference anyone?

Conclusion: Paul Krugman is wrong and Tyler Cowen is right.
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM #111
Peppermint

Thought political strategist Dick Morris is probably correct. Even though many are focusing on the top 3 GOP challengers, Mitt, Bachmann, and now Perry, the race is still open to the others that are out campaigning.

"THE SHAPE OF THE GOP RACE"
http://www.dickmorris.com/blog/the-s...-the-gop-race/

I
Quote:
n any case, it is way, way, way too early to whittle the Republican presidential race down to the current three front runners: Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, and Rick Perry. It is true that Romney and Bachmann have earned front runner status and Perry has vaulted into it, but the efforts of the mainstream media to focus the race on these three alternatives leaves out a lot that could happen over the next four months.
Peppermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM #112
CMONEY123456

this world is going to **** faster than i thought
CMONEY123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM #113
TwoKaySix (Banned)
A dying Breed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMONEY123456 View Post
this world is going to **** faster than i thought

pm me