Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM #22
mintyfresh911

mintyfresh911 supports Team VICIOUS
mintyfresh911 supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
Ah... I'd disagree with that... If nothing more, carry at least one insert over .689... a .691 would be fine.
I agree on this one. I have almost the exact same set up as this OP. Ion XE with a freak barrel. I, in general, do not carry the whole kit; just the .681, .685, .689, and .693. Most of the time, you won't even need that many. The nice thing about buying the kit though, is that you get the case. I use it to carry a lot more than just the inserts. You can take out some inserts, put in your barrel, o-rings, and wrench.

In terms of purchasing a Freak Barrel, the BST section here is great. Lots of the time you can get an impulse threaded barrel with 2/3 of the most common inserts for really cheap. Just watch out for people trying to rip you off, I can't say I know what the normal price is. I haven't looked at a Freak kit in a long time.

Over all, I must say the freak kit is great. Its easy to use, and has inserts in every conceivable size. It also looks sweet with the All American Front on it. Although I think that that is all fronts do; there is the tear-drop and AA, and I don't think there is a shred of performance difference.

Also, if you have any issues with your Ion XE, call GoG. They are the new SP.

Cheers, and enjoy your Ion. No matter what the haters say, it is a great starting gun.
mintyfresh911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM #23
Nuked
Evol Genius

Nuked is playing at Living Legends V
Nuked posts videos on PbNation
Nuked supports Pev's Paintball
Nuked has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Nuked is attending Decay of Nations VII
Pretty much my thought. Just because you haven't used larger than .689 doesn't mean that you could have matched the paint better...
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM #24
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 plays in the APPA D4 division
tlane77 is a top reviewer
tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
Just saying don't waste money when most paint fits into a 689.
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:59 AM #25
mintyfresh911

Right, and when you show up to a field, buy a case, and it doesn't fit in your .689...what do u do then? I know it is very unlikely to happen, especially with contemporary paint...but I think $15 to make sure your can play no matter what...its worth it. Think of it like insurance...
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM #26
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
Like I said, it has never happened. 7 tournies a year, practice every weekend, indoors, outdoors, always 689 or smaller.

Do I have a 691 etc, yes, but unless your paint is stored in a hot *** warehouse, shed, trunk, it will most likely fit through a 689.

What if you bought a gun and it had a 689 barrel and your scenario happened? Buy another barrel?

Just saying in my experience I have not needed anything higher.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 PM #27
mintyfresh911

I understand what your saying. I mean, the Planet Eclipse kits now stop at .689.

I've only ever had to break out the .693 for a scenario. I just do that because my paint can be sitting in my pack for like 20 minutes in the woods. I've never used above a .689 in a tourny setting...and I play X-ball 48 weekends out of the year
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM #28
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
I hear ya. We got the from our sponsor and everyone's 687 is worn. Everything else is brand new.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM #29
curlyfries0

i think im just gonna get it through gog. its just easy and im in a semi humid climate anyways. thanks all.

Curlyfries
curlyfries0 is offline   Reply With Quote