Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM #1
Cbustos13

Cool New to paintball, please give advice and helpful information!!

Hey everyone!

So I played my first game of paintball today and can already say im hooked. I played subbed in at a tournament speedball practice with a friend who normally plays at the d4 level. Overall it was a very fast paced and enjoyable experience. I learned a lot today but very interested in expanding my knowledge so ANY information would be greatly appreciated

Just some basic questions:
-What are the different components to a paintball marker?

-How do you practice? Does learning simply come through playing or are there things off the field I can do to keep up with tournament level of play?

-Lastly, I was looking into purchasing a Dye DM8 next week. That was one of the guns that I used today (along with two different Ego's) and the Dm8 felt the best. Any feedback on this gun would be very helpful. Once again I am a beginner but picked up the game very quickly, is this gun too much for me?

Thanks everyone
Cbustos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:50 PM #2
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is playing at Living Legends V
YeloSno is playing at Living Legends VI
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is attending Decay of Nations VI
Components to a paintball marker?
It really varies.
I have some somewhat-in-depth information in the orange and pink link in my signature (below what I'm typing here) which can explain more...

But essientially, a poppet valve marker is any marker with a 2 piece valve (generally speaking). It's usually in a stacked-tube design and the valve is in the bottom tube under the inlet/outlet for the bolt on top, which is normally held by the Bolt pin.

So the valve in these kinds of markers consists of the valve body and a plunger, or whatever you'll call it. This system is more mechanical than most kind of systems. It is the most versatile as well.

Tippmanns are Inline Poppet valve markers. Autocockers are stacked tube poppet valve markers, Bob Long's Marq Series is inline poppet whilst the Eclipse Ego series is a Stacked Tube design. Now the angel is also Stacked tube, but has 3 tubes instead of two. One of the tubes used to hold a battery, now it holds air

Spool valves tend to be more pneumatic, thus naturally less air efficient than a poppet valve marker, but it is more compact, lighter, smoother and quieter. They are also much more maintenance in order to keep the moving parts, well, moving. Lots of these markers are starting to come with spring assisted bolts for greater efficiency and less maintenance to keep them going longer.

Avoid the Dye DM8, they're definitely cool markers, but they're kind of a waste of money at their price point, if I may.

Look into something like, for poppets, an Inifinity Legend, Angel G7 Fly, or a Bob Long Alias/Gen3 intimidator.

For Spool Valves, Smart Parts Shocker SFT, Smart Parts Shocker NXT, Dye DM7 or Proto PM8.

Also read about the history of paintball a little bit and look through pictures of different markers and maybe some information about them from a good source (lots of experienced members here and at mcarterbrown). You may not care much for about 99% of them, but it gives you a bearing on today's technology and what you may be more interested in using. Eventually, once you've played long enough and bought and sold several markers, you will develop a feel for what you like and don't. It's near impossible to describe what you'll want in a marker before using it, but the information does help quite a bit so you don't end up with as many bad purchases as me.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 PM #3
Cbustos13

Thank you very much for the info. Definitely going to be busy reading up on all of these different things you have mentioned.

If you dont mind me asking, why do you recommend the Dye DM7 over the DM8?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 PM #4
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbustos13 View Post
Hey everyone!

Just some basic questions:
-What are the different components to a paintball marker?

-How do you practice? Does learning simply come through playing or are there things off the field I can do to keep up with tournament level of play?

-Lastly, I was looking into purchasing a Dye DM8 next week. That was one of the guns that I used today (along with two different Ego's) and the Dm8 felt the best. Any feedback on this gun would be very helpful. Once again I am a beginner but picked up the game very quickly, is this gun too much for me?

Thanks everyone
I couldn't tell you. There's a few basic designs with slight differences but there's just too many to name for every marker.

Practice the same way you would with anything else. Play and make sure somewhere in your head you are learning and paying attention to your mistakes. fyi, it isn't how long you've played but the quality of your time playing. Try and learn something new, get better at something you know, or try something new that could work better every time you play.

Drills are good until you're a strong player. From there drills won't get you good as fast but they never become a waste of time. They essentially just take 1 segment of a game and make you better at it, after a few years of high level play under you're belt they just don't help as much as they used to.

There's enough threads to get you started on drills and things your friends could prob show you easier than I could explain. Don't make it too hard though it's just practice so you're better at that segment of the game. For example a basic run and shoot at a target drill gets you better at running and gunning. [quick tip, use a traffic cone with a shovel through the hole, you know if you got a good hit by the sound].

There's no substitute for playing but being in good shape has benefits as well like in every sport.

Something neat, look at your jersey after playing all day. With some critical thinking you can tell why/how you got shot. If there's a few shots on your chest/side but most of the time wen you died it was from a hopper/mask/gun/hand/arm hit you're doing something right. If most of your deaths aren't from mask/hopper/gun/arm/hand hits and there's a good amount of chest shots you're form needs some work. If your hits are mostly on your back then you're team sucks and you're prob doing alright besides being bunkered all the time.

The dm8 is a great gun. Egos are great as well but pick the gun that feels best in your hands to you, you've made the right choice. Normally I'd say it's a bit much for a beginner, but in your case buy it as you're first gun. You already know you like paintball and tourney play. You're kind of jumping into the deep end and learning to swim as you go but getting anything less in this case would just lead to frustration and wasted money. You also have friends with some experience to show you the ropes so you'll be fine.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 PM #5
Cbustos13

Irish:

Thank you SOO much, extremely insightful post!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM #6
Irish916
eThug

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. Definitely going to be busy reading up on all of these different things you have mentioned.

If you dont mind me asking, why do you recommend the Dye DM7 over the DM8?
These won't be bad reads either, it'll get you jumpstarted and give some valuable knowledge.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...778&highlight=

The DM7 and DM8 are both excellent guns and very similar. The dm8 has a newer version reg and no eye covers. It's also very slightly heavier than the dm7 but the difference is negligible.

The dm7 still has a great reg [many people were all wtf? it didn't need a new reg when the m8 came out] and removable eye covers. In theory it makes the eyes easier to clean but none of the DMs past 7 have had removable eye covers. Realistically it's just one more groove to get paint in because of how the DM eye system works and you may have to put up with stripped screws at some point in time. It also has standard reg threads [the dm8s are only for the hyper3] but why would you ever replace a hyper2 or hyper3 for something worse or as good?

The price range is very similar [within about $50], you can't go wrong with either.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM #7
neophyte

neophyte posts videos on PbNation
neophyte plays in the APPA D4 division
neophyte has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
neophyte has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
if you just played your first game today i wouldnt suggest worrying about what gun to get yet. at least not from reviews online as they are very biased. A lot of companies make a lot of good guns. go to the field and shoot as many as you can. You would be suprised how many people will let you shoot their gun.

Your first major investment, however, as far as I am concerned should be the mask. This key Item can Make a huge difference in how you play, how comfortable you are when you play, and how much you enjoy your day playing. the better the mask the better off you are.

If you have only played once get some games under your belt before you start drilling too hard. dont take the fun out of the game just when you are getting started. While drilling does help you become a better player, it can be repetative and not a whole lot of fun. make sure you are having a good time. when the time comes that you feel your ability is holding you back from enjoying yourself, then start drilling to become a better player.

right now the best thing you could do is play. play with people who are better than you and you will get better. let them know you would like to get better and they will help you with hints and tips.

remember gear does not make the player. if you can get good with inferior equipment you will be that much better off when you do upgrade your equipment. I see a ton of people come to field I work at with a couple grand in equipment only to play two games and get mad and go home cause some of the older ballers are knocking them out of the game early with a pump.

this sport in particular strives on having fun. their is no big paycheck if you go pro. there are no big payouts at tournaments. there is no one giving you free stuff and there is very little fame. if the fun dies so does our sport. make sure that you are having fun and go from there.

if you arent a liberal at age twenty, you have no heart; if you arent a conservative at age fourty, you have no brain. -- Winston Churchill
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 AM #8
Cbustos13

Irish:

That link was very helpful. Would you mind explaining what regulators and eyes are and what they do?

Neo:

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm learning a lot, very quickly thanks to everyones help! Would you mind recommending some masks?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 AM #9
americigerm
Punchin Nerds in the Dome

americigerm owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
americigerm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Irish:

That link was very helpful. Would you mind explaining what regulators and eyes are and what they do?

Neo:

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm learning a lot, very quickly thanks to everyones help! Would you mind recommending some masks?
Empire Events, sly profits, JT proflex are the best from what people say, I got some Events from the BST section, and payed 50 bucks for em. Best mask for me.
americigerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 AM #10
Irish916
eThug

^this.

The mask part is so important. Back in 2005 I started with a piece of **** JT mask. It fogged, the foam was like sandpaper on my face, it was hot. There was nothing good about it. I like paintball but hated playing until I borrowed my friend's I3s and bought my own pair of VForce profilers soon after. Just try on as many quality masks as you can and see which you like best and feels most comfortable to you. My favorite to this day are still I3 pros, they're just the most comfortable to me. The lenses are kind of a ***** to change but I've gotten good at it and it has horseblinder peripheral vision but
I've gotten used to it and it doesn't handicap me by any means.

Drills IMO are pretty boring but they do help greatly. If playing games and learning isn't quite working or not getting you where you need to be then drills will help but everyone learns a bit differently. For me I learn much better by playing games and figuring out what went wrong. I've done my fair share of drills but the aspect that helped me most was footing and form [like how to correctly run and gun] learning at a slowed down pace instead of the actual skill. It makes a world of difference for someone to tell you "Hey fix your feet/bend your knees" instead of "ok 5 secs till start, I feel comfortable enough, hopefully I'm doing this right."

Playing better people will get you good fast. Asking questions like "How did you shoot me?" "Why did you do that?" and "how did you know _this_?" will give you knowledge much faster than you could learn it or take notice of yourself. Most tourney players are generally nice people and will be more than willing to help you out if you ask and come off nicely with the will to learn.

Like said, gear doesn't mean much. As you gain more experience you'll be able to tell that the kid with a spyder in red dye gear sucks just as bad as the kid with jeans and a tshirt with the spyder. Gear is gear. Wear what you like and what feels comfortable. After a while and after getting better you'll gain some sponsorships and you won't have much of a choice in what you wear. My choice was "Do I wanna wear my i3s or axis pros? I have to wear proto gear anyways..." For the most part you only get to choose which cleats and which color/length socks you wanna wear.

Basically fun is everything and the main reason you play. You won't get rich off paintball, and the fame and recognition you receive is fairly minimal at best. Not everyone gets free stuff, I've gotten masks, pants, jerseys, pod packs, paint and other misc stuff handed to me and being told to use it but don't expect a free gun [cheap yes, free no] or very many handouts in today's economy. The things that matter and you'll look back on and value most are the experiences you've had, friends you've made, and what you've accomplished.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 AM #11
Cbustos13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
The things that matter and you'll look back on and value most are the experiences you've had, friends you've made, and what you've accomplished.

Irish, you couldnt be more right about things. Thanks a ton for all of the advice I really have appreciated it
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 AM #12
Irish916
eThug

Quote:
Irish, you couldnt be more right about things. Thanks a ton for all of the advice I really have appreciated it
haha no worries, glad it helped.

Quote:
Irish:

Neo:

Yeah.

Regulators basically regulate the airflow going into your gun. The pressure from your tank is roughly 400-800psi [if I remember right] depending on what pressure your tank is. Your gun operates at a much lower pressure so the regulator... regulates it to a usable pressure. Regulators affect quite a bit, most importantly consistency over the chrono which roughly translates into accuracy. A gun jumping between 280fps and 283fps will place balls much closer to the intended target than a gun that jumps from 260fps to 280fps.

Eyes are located in the breech of a gun [where the ball drops into from the hopper]. They basically shoot a laser from one side to the other [these are breakbeam eyes, the vast majority of guns use this] or they shoot a laser and it reflects off the ball [bounce beam eyes, noticeably on SFT shockers]. Breakbeam are generally considered better for what it's worth. They can see dark shelled paint and other minor things.

Basically, the gun doesn't shoot if the eye doesn't sense a ball in the breech. This is to prevent chopping [leading to terrible accuracy]. When the ball drops into the breech it gets noticed, and the eye tells your gun it's ok to shoot. If your gun didn't have eyes then you could pull the trigger and your gun could shot regardless of whether there's a ball in the breech or not. This becomes a problem when the ball drops halfway through at fast rates of fire and the bolt "chops" the ball into pieces resulting at bad accuracy at best and a jammed gun at worst.

Good masks to look at are JT Proflex, Empire E-Vents, Dye i3 Pros, Dye i4s, Proto Axis pros, Sly profits, VForce Grillz, and VForce profilers. If I didn't mention it it probably isn't worth looking at. All these masks for for roughly $50-$75 on here in the b/s/t forums. Try masks at your field and see what you like most. I'd say E-vents are the bets on paper, but in reality I prefer dye i3 pros and many people will say the proflex is the best mask ever made [they have some good points honestly].
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 PM #13
neophyte

neophyte posts videos on PbNation
neophyte plays in the APPA D4 division
neophyte has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
neophyte has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post

Good masks to look at are JT Proflex, Empire E-Vents, Dye i3 Pros, Dye i4s, Proto Axis pros, Sly profits, VForce Grillz, and VForce profilers. If I didn't mention it it probably isn't worth looking at. All these masks for for roughly $50-$75 on here in the b/s/t forums. Try masks at your field and see what you like most. I'd say E-vents are the bets on paper, but in reality I prefer dye i3 pros and many people will say the proflex is the best mask ever made [they have some good points honestly].
keep in mind when buying a mask what you want out of a mask. all of the masks Irish listed are nice comfortable masks. I owned several e-vents and I really like them. They do however muffle your voice. Grillz are probably one of the most comfortable masks I have ever worn. added with that you have a huge range of vision with a small lense (smaller area for a garunteed break). however I found that they had a bit of an echo (this tends to you ((or me at least)) not being as loud cause you can hear your own voice and it sounds as if you are loud. kind of the opposite of when people sing with headphones on). I find that soft eared masks have a lot less echo than others. I currently wear a proflex. This is not the most comfortable mask I have ever worn (it is not uncomfortable though) and it does allow for you to get shot in some more sensitve areas. For me, as I am not all that loud in the first place, it suits me best. no echo and very little muffling coming from the mask. I have never worn an I3 or at least not played in on or axis masks. But these are things to think about when purchasing a mask. what do you want from it, what are you willing to sacrifice to get the things most important to you.

if you arent a liberal at age twenty, you have no heart; if you arent a conservative at age fourty, you have no brain. -- Winston Churchill
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 AM #14
weeman72492

weeman72492 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
weeman72492 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
weeman72492 supports Team VICIOUS
Ok with experience comes time... experience will come throughout ur time on the field... what u can do to gain more knowledge to the type of play is go to one of ur local speedball fields and just watch a couple of games.. observe the calling out of bunkers, the gdet how of how to get to ur spot without getting shot out off break....
3. We always wear protection
2. We dont mind getting a little dirty
1. All of us have at least a 12" barrel.
weeman72492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM #15
mitchel125

[quote="Irish916"]

I couldn't tell you. There's a few basic designs with slight differences but there's just too many to name for every marker.

Practice the same way you would with anything else. Play and make sure somewhere in your head you are learning and paying attention to your mistakes. fyi, it isn't how long you've played but the quality of your time playing. Try and learn something new, get better at something you know, or try something new that could work better every time you play.

Drills are good until you're a strong player. From there drills won't get you good as fast but they never become a waste of time. They essentially just take 1 segment of a game and make you better at it, after a few years of high level play under you're belt they just don't help as much as they used to.

There's enough threads to get you started on drills and things your friends could prob show you easier than I could explain. Don't make it too hard though it's just practice so you're better at that segment of the game. For example a basic run and shoot at a target drill gets you better at running and gunning. [quick tip, use a traffic cone with a shovel through the hole, you know if you got a good hit by the sound].

There's no substitute for playing but being in good shape has benefits as well like in every sport.

Something neat, look at your jersey after playing all day. With some critical thinking you can tell why/how you got shot. If there's a few shots on your chest/side but most of the time wen you died it was from a hopper/mask/gun/hand/arm hit you're doing something right. If most of your deaths aren't from mask/hopper/gun/arm/hand hits and there's a good amount of chest shots you're form needs some work. If your hits are mostly on your back then you're team sucks and you're prob doing alright besides being bunkered all the time.

The dm8 is a great gun. Egos are great as well but pick the gun that feels best in your hands to you, you've made the right choice. Normally I'd say it's a bit much for a beginner, but in your case buy it as you're first gun. You already know you like paintball and tourney play. You're kind of jumping into the deep end and learning to swim as you go but getting anything less in this case would just lead to frustration and wasted money. You also have friends with some experience to show you the ropes so you'll be fine.
mitchel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM #16
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This is how I started, played speedball my first time, got hooked, like you did. Bought an Angel A1, and with in a year of playing I can compete with D3/D2 players. It is really all about practice and who you practice with. I practice with D2/D1 players who have played for 5+ years, and play with them every weekend. Sure at first I sucked but you get better, fast. As of guns, I have never been a fan of Dye or PE, they are both overrated and not worth the cash, in my opinion. It doesn't mean they aren't good guns, they are great, just overrated. But get what feels good, if you like the DM8, get it, don't be like "well everyone else has Ego's so they must be good." Get what you like and don't second guess your self.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM #17
KIngOfjoos45

KIngOfjoos45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
KIngOfjoos45 supports Team VICIOUS
KIngOfjoos45 is for the Gunfight
Theres plenty of at home drills you can do

Most common is probably snap shooting into a mirror so you can see how little or how much you show while you come out of your bunker if youve got a large mirror you can put a strip of tape on the mirror and use the tape as the edge of the bunker when you snap to see what parts off your body you show or not

If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions, you have failed as a paintballer. Put this in your sig to help spread the word.
KIngOfjoos45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM #18
IrockanEGO
Ohio baller

IrockanEGO has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Since you said you played for the first time I will assume you own nothing paintball related. Get other equipment first. Dont waste all your money on a gun. Go find yourself a nice mask, electronic hopper, and air tank (carbon fiber is better but not necessary)before a gun to avoid having to have a lower quality mask, loader, tank, or whatever. Also get a pod pack. A 4+3 is the most common but a 3+4 is fine since if you shoot more then a hopper and a couple pods you are doing something wrong. You dont need a fancy pod pack, long as it holds pods. After that get whatever gun you want. If you liked the dm8 over the egos better, then get a used dm8. Get the gear you want. Dont worry about what others say. The dm8 is a great gun. You asked what the different components of a paintball gun are. For a dm8 all you need to worry about is the bolt, and regulators for maintainence.
IrockanEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM #19
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
to the op

there are a few good paintball marker gifs if you use google that shows a lot of how markers fire and there parts. if you like something cool for your wall pm and I give you a link to where you can get some poster of where an airsmith took some markers and x-rayed them. as for getting to be a better player if you have a basement you can set up a pratice field..just use some foam paintballs and turn down your marker so that the paintball wont go through the drywall or bounce back at you. you can then use plastic soda bottles and something for a bunker and pratice poping up and shooting.