Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM #1
paramedic18
Shortcake!

paramedic18 is a Paintball photographer
paramedic18 is playing at Living Legends VI
paramedic18 is playing at Living Legends VII
paramedic18 posts videos on PbNation
Interesting defect on proto slg UL

So, this weekend while playing at hell survivors, an interesting defect cropped up in my proto slg UL.

Before any of the trolls start bashing let me clear up a few things for you: i dont work on my own marker, i take it to an approved gunsmith who has 25+ years in the sport and who is a master aka tech, approved tippmann tech, and is an admin on pbn, marker is lubed properly, bolt inserted properly, proper air pressure was applied and proper paint was used. the only after market parts on the marker are: clamping feedneck, massive drop forward, and an on/off on the drop forward. board is set for stock semi auto only (no need for ramping, its a cheaters way to win the game anyways) so now THATS outta the way.. moving on..

apparently the metal the body is made out of is softer than the metal of the bolt, so it mushrooms up and catches the bolt so it wont work anymore.

anyone know if dye is actually going to honor the defect, or are they pretty much gonna tell me to stuff it

given how much money they make on some of their products, they should honor it as a defect and fix/replace it..

got the gun fixed, but i find it shady that it happened in the first place..

Paintcheck Photography in Co-operating with RSHMedia, Covering the Indiana region for scenario, tourny, and rec play.
paramedic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM #2
Dan95-5.0

Dan95-5.0 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sounds weird but where would it mushroom up? isnt that why the orings are there to prevent the metal to metal contact to make the seal?

what did you get done to fix it?
Dan95-5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM #3
paramedic18
Shortcake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan95-5.0 View Post
sounds weird but where would it mushroom up? isnt that why the orings are there to prevent the metal to metal contact to make the seal?

what did you get done to fix it?
not exactly sure where it mushroomed up at but its in the path of the bolt travel. orings are supposed to help prevent that, but i think with the temps it was outside and with them using sub-par metal. ive been told that this is a very common problem with the proto's.

had to file it down enough to make the travel path safe for the bolt again.

Paintcheck Photography in Co-operating with RSHMedia, Covering the Indiana region for scenario, tourny, and rec play.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM #4
Tikiman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic18 View Post

had to file it down enough to make the travel path safe for the bolt again.
this happens a lot.

send the marker to dye and have them re-hone the body, they'll will fix it for free. But probably not if you've already done some home repairs to it.
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=381989
Ebay feedback:
http://myworld.ebay.com/tikiman121086/
Tikiman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM #5
paramedic18
Shortcake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman12 View Post
this happens a lot.

send the marker to dye and have them re-hone the body, they'll will fix it for free. But probably not if you've already done some home repairs to it.
ya but they would prolly take 10 years to fix the bloody thing.. considering it took them 3 weeks to get back to me to tell me what material the o-rings they used were made out of ( rubber, silicone, other, etc) especially since they charge a fortune for an oring rebuild kit.

i had the gunsmith fix it for me.. but now i worry about my other proto if its going to have the same problem

for as much as dye charges one would think they would have better quality and quality control processes..

thank goodness i still have my autococker and my 98custom as back ups.. and a dm4.. none of which are for sale (a certain pump player keeps trying to get me to sell him my autococker so he can molester it and turn it into a pump gun)

Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM #6
Tikiman12

did you call them or email them?
you have to call them to talk to someone, NOT EMAIL. think about how many emails they must get in a day. BUT if you call them they have to answer you b/c they're already communicating with you.

this has only been a problem for a few SLG's as far as I know. so you shouldnt worry about your other proto.
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=381989
Ebay feedback:
http://myworld.ebay.com/tikiman121086/
Tikiman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM #7
paramedic18
Shortcake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman12 View Post
did you call them or email them?
you have to call them to talk to someone, NOT EMAIL. think about how many emails they must get in a day. BUT if you call them they have to answer you b/c they're already communicating with you.

this has only been a problem for a few SLG's as far as I know. so you shouldnt worry about your other proto.
about the o-ring question, i emailed them. i havent called them about the proto issue yet, but given that i had a gunsmith fix it for me, its prolly moot to even bother calling them now.. like you said, since i fixed it they prolly wont do jack..

Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 PM #8
Castro #66
Sniper Whisperer

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I almost always call instead of emailing any company I need info from. A company as large as DYE is probably gets inundated with emails weekly.

Meanwhile, I have to ask how you can be so sure how much DYE is actually making in profit? They don't really release those numbers.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM #9
paramedic18
Shortcake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
I almost always call instead of emailing any company I need info from. A company as large as DYE is probably gets inundated with emails weekly.

Meanwhile, I have to ask how you can be so sure how much DYE is actually making in profit? They don't really release those numbers.
given that 99% of their stuff is made over seas, im pretty sure they are turning a good profit.. trust me if they made that stuff state side and paid the people a living wage, not 7-9$ an hour, almost no one could afford their products..

simple question: does it REALLY cost 12.95$ to make a barrel bag in the shape of theirs? even with container shipping, it doesnt.. that barrel bag is prolly a 2-5$ product for them marked up to 8-10 to the dealer.. dealer marks it up to 12.95$ cuz they have to compete with everyone else.. in the end it hurts the dealer more than it does the parent company..

sorry getting off on a rant here but anywho.. ill call them tomorrow bout the proto defect but i think id have better luck watching paint dry..

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM #10
zachXp-ball27
Ahh Yeah, Game time yeh

zachXp-ball27 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zachXp-ball27 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
zachXp-ball27 supports Team VICIOUS
zachXp-ball27 supports Pev's Paintball
zachXp-ball27 supports Empire
Ironically same thing happened to my SLG at the start of the summer. You just have to carefully cut the lip down until the bolt does not catch onto it anymore. It should work perfectly after that
Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 PM #11
paramedic18
Shortcake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachXp-ball27 View Post
Ironically same thing happened to my SLG at the start of the summer. You just have to carefully cut the lip down until the bolt does not catch onto it anymore. It should work perfectly after that
ya thats what i ended up having done by the gunsmith, but that fact that its a known defect kinda makes me irritated..