PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 PM #1
Flip-side
No Charge For Awesomeness

Palmer Fatty was a waste of money

So I was rummaging through my spare parts bins, looking for a reg to throw on a project marker for troubleshooting and I found my old Palmer Fatty.

Looking back, what a fantastic....waste of money it was. I bought it for $80 and it worked for a week before the small plastic piston decided it wanted to tilt and jam inside the reg over and over. When I called to get a rebuild kit just a month after purchase, the price from Palmer was a deterrent in itself. They wouldn't even tell me what size the o-ring was so I could get a replacement myself.

So I sit here with the most expensive reg I've ever bought in hand...thinking... what the heck? I always heard such great things about PPS, was this just a fluke? Maybe after all these years I should give it another shot, eh?

I changed the piston o-ring myself and lubed the reg today and guess what? The freaking piston jammed AGAIN after the first 100 shots fired.

Tell me this is something that I induced by fault, or is something easily fixed and I will be pleased. Otherwise this thing is going in the trash next to my snot rags and banana peels very soon.
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 PM #2
etipp98
LBJ=FGT

has been a member for 10 years
Ill take it off your hands, Pm me.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 AM #3
Flip-side
No Charge For Awesomeness

Since no one posted anything useful, a friend offered to make a new piston out of lathed nylon with 2 smaller cross-section o-ring seals to stabilize it instead of one big one. According to him, the old ICD regs benefited from this modification as well. He also mentioned that the original piston was machined slightly too small in diameter, allowing it to bind.

Then he scolded me for not sending it in to PPS to prove the defect which they most likely would have remedied.

It works fine now, thanks for all the help or lack there-of. I would toss it in a lake before I would ever consider sending it to someone that failed to offer assistance for the original problem.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM #4
buttsakauf

I always had pretty good luck with Palmer stuff. Seemed like honest folk.
buttsakauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 AM #5
Zepulkinator
Epic Purple Dude

Zepulkinator plays in the PSP
Zepulkinator supports Team VICIOUS
Zepulkinator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Zepulkinator is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip-side View Post
Since no one posted anything useful, a friend offered to make a new piston out of lathed nylon with 2 smaller cross-section o-ring seals to stabilize it instead of one big one. According to him, the old ICD regs benefited from this modification as well. He also mentioned that the original piston was machined slightly too small in diameter, allowing it to bind.

Then he scolded me for not sending it in to PPS to prove the defect which they most likely would have remedied.

It works fine now, thanks for all the help or lack there-of. I would toss it in a lake before I would ever consider sending it to someone that failed to offer assistance for the original problem.
You'll have the occasional douche bag on the 'Nation.

Now my question is, would have rather have had people come in here and give you false info and make up some BS, or just not have any info at all like you got?

I'd probably jump in the lake after it... Oh and that's a dick move of Palmer.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 PM #6
Mike681

I had a problem with my Male Stabilizer leaking when I first bought it. Called up Palmer's, talked to a tech who told me that it was likely a defective 10 O-ring, or a 12 O-ring. Turned out to be a 10 ring, which I got at a local shop. They were pretty helpful to me

Stab hasn't given me any trouble since.
Mike681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 AM #7
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
FS,

I realize this thread is old, but it is not normal to have problems with the Palmer stuff. They are typically of excellent quality. I agree with your friend that a trip back to Palmer was in order. I have no doubts that they would have corrected this for you.
Jom is offline   Reply With Quote