PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM #1
BearcatV

Paintball Gal

Hey everyone,

Just moved to Nebraska last year after getting married...been looking into getting into paintball more. I used to play with my dad's paintball equipment but it's pretty old and I've been looking into getting my own equipment.
I don't want anything too expensive, but nothing crappy either. I've heard good reviews on the Spyder Victor, anyone use one? Goggle wise, I'll probably start with some cheapo thing that comes in a package, but I'm hoping to get a Dye I4 or Angel Eyes since they look pretty intimidating. I've heard the I4s are great...anyone try the Angel Eyes yet?

I'm hoping to get into the sport a lot more next spring/summer since this next school year I'll be too busy.
BearcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 PM #2
Rique98
Gun Whore in Training

Rique98 plays in the PSP
Rique98 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Rique98 posts videos on PbNation
Rique98 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Hi-

Welcome to PbNation! I suggest the Azodin Blitz w/ a Vlocity and a Ninja 48/3000 as a starter package. As for a mask, check eBay and find used high end masks.If you really want I4's their superb! I own a pair and boy they get it right and tight! Good luck!

Rique98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM #3
Dysfunctional
Fossil of the forum

has been a member for 10 years
Dysfunctional supports our troops
Dysfunctional is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Dysfunctional supports Pev's Paintball
Hierarchy Of Buying Paintball Stuff is worth reading. DO NOT get a cheap mask - you will regret it.

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
Dysfunctional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM #4
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
I've used a victor.

I mean, it's a cheap low end marker, so you can't really expect much at all...

I, personally would (if you want something simple to help you learn the ropes more or less) stick to finding a used Azodin Kaos D. They'll run more than a new Victor at around $100, but are much better in every way imaginable.

But let's worry about the marker last.

You first need a decent mask, then an air source and hopper.

For masks, the JT Proflex is my favorite and I've used tooons of them. Other great choices include the 2nd gen SLY Profit (they're ok), Dye i3 (i4 is really small, lacks protection, but pretty comfy I guess), Vforce Profiler and Grill are also fantastic choices, but if you live in an area where the temperatures drop below 50*, you may want to avoid Vforce masks unless you're fine with applying Pledge or toothpaste with a microfiber to your lenses just about every game.

For the loader, let's say you're an absolute beginner with no need to shoot faster than the cylinders in a car fire and you're on a budget. A good quality gravity hopper, or my preference, a JT ReVLution/Revvy is what you need.

Now just about all gravity fed hoppers are the same, but some like the Proto Primo and a small handful of other hoppers cost a couple dollars more and have a little "anti-jam" shelf built into them so they don't jam or have paint break or fly back up in your hopper from blowby as you shoot your lower end marker. If you must, you can pick em up used for as low as $5 used and they'll be in the same condition as new.

What's great about the revvy is it's a super-durable (think, newest model came out sometime in 2004 I think) and super reliable hopper. I love them and have a couple and so do many paintballers. They feed quick, are quiet, durable, low profile, battery efficient, and are pretty much impossible to jam. Best part is, they cost ~$25 with an Xboard or Intellifeed most of the time.

Air system? depends your budget. I'd shoot for a 4500psi system if possible, if not, any carbon fiber 3000psi system will hold up well, you just need to remember to fill it to 3000psi TOPS if a station offers a 4500psi fill or else you will blow your burst discs and you'll be out a tank for the rest of the day unless someone has spares at the field.

Most Carbon Fiber 3000psi systems today need to be re-hydro tested, but you can still find one in good condition and even with a fresh hydro on it for no more than $50, which is the price of a new metal 3000psi system.

I have a link in my signature (sig) in orange and pink that has more information.

And please, avoid packages. They rip you off.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM #5
GrimCPT
MVP Its not brain science

GrimCPT plays in the PSP
GrimCPT is playing at Living Legends V
GrimCPT posts videos on PbNation
GrimCPT plays in the APPA D5 division
As far as mask JT proflexes and Vforce Profilers are fairly inexpensive and very good.
GrimCPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 PM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
I stopped reading after "married". Lost interest LOL

Nah seriously though this thread runs dangerously into becoming a VS Thread. So before mods lock it I will say the most important thing to purchase is definitely the mask. Dye i4, Vforce Grill or Profilers, Sly Profit, JT Flex, Empire Events....these are all amongst the best masks on the market.
After that I would look to the marker. In this cases it would have helped if you gave a sort of price range you were looking to stay within

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM #7
BearcatV

Thanks everyone, great advice to get me started
BearcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 PM #8
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Mask - VForce Profilers
Tank - Ninja aluminum to start
Loader - Halo B
Marker - Spyder Sonix

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM #9
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
im from nebraska also if you need help finding anything or if you have problems with the marker you do decide to get i would be willing to help.. where do you play at here in nebraska
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM #10
KeithF

KeithF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Your own marker is probably going to be the last piece of equipment you want to buy. Grab a great mask and a good set of knee pads (planet eclipse or dye c10). Then a good loader (pinokio, prophecy or rotor) then a good hpa tank (ninja, guerilla, dye throttle). Then you want to start worrying about guns, jerseys, and pants.

If you can, try to find a package deal from someone who is leaving the sport. Ebay, Craigslist and various bst threads across forums is where I would look. If you are lucky you will find a decent starting set of equipment for under 400.
KeithF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 PM #11
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I love the look of the Angel eyes as well!! But sadly they are not out yet. But The I4's are great along with, Profits, grillz, and proflexs.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 AM #12
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithF
Grab a great mask and a good set of knee pads (planet eclipse or dye c10). .
I recommend knee pads as well but you don't need to buy paintball specific branded ones.

Walmart has Franklin volleyball pads for ~$7. I wear underarmour volleyball pads, which were $25, that provide the same, if not more protection than the dye core knee pads and pads eclipse at about 60% of the cost.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 AM #13
Nuked
Evol Genius

Nuked is playing at Living Legends V
Nuked posts videos on PbNation
Nuked supports Pev's Paintball
Nuked has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Nuked is attending Decay of Nations VII
Check out ebay or the BST's here. I know Profilers are some of the best low-priced goggles out there, and you can get them in good condition for around $40 or so lightly used. I'd start there, as everyone else said. As for the gun - look up some reviews on any gun before purchasing it. Find out its flaws and benefits and see if anything is a deal breaker for you.

Good Luck!
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote