Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM #1
PhobosTau

PM8 won't fire (blinking green, no bolt action).

So basically here's what's going on: When you pull the trigger, it makes a small click noise (solenoid?) but nothing happens, the bolt does not move, and then it starts flashing green.

Bolt
I replaced all of the O-Rings on the bolt assembly and rear cap because I got a leak last time I played. I figured they probably went bad because I stored the marker in my garage last winter, where it gets down to -15 degrees F at times. I don't know how the bolt can affect this here, but I wanted to mention it just in case. There are no scratches, dings, or dents anywhere on the bolt, it's in very good shape.

Eyes
I tested the eyes. With the air off, I got solid red, put my finger in, solid green. Rinse, repeat. Eyes look clean, ribbon is in good shape, they're working.

ASA
I read that if the ASA is screwed in too far, it may not release the tank pin correctly. I tried varying depths, no change.

Chamber
With the bolt taken out of the chamber, I get air flowing in.

Hyper 3 Regulator
I just took it apart, cleaned and re-greased it. Re-applied Teflon tape on the hose connector. It's clean with no dirt, plugs, or leaks.

LPR
Gutted, cleaned, and set back to factory setting. No change.

Lube
I'm using stock Dye (Green) lube on the bolt. You know what, I bet anything that this is the problem. Reference: This thread.

Battery
I tried three different brand new batteries. No change.

DIP Switch
I've never touched this, and the settings are still at factory.

So what could this be? It's not the eyes, bolt, battery, or hyper 3 regulator from what I can tell. But it seems like air just isn't getting cycled to the bolt when the trigger is pulled? Does this mean my solenoid went bad? How can this happen, it was working 100% last time I used it in October? Did the cold temperature in the garage maybe freeze and destroy the solenoid rubber rings?

Help please! I'm going to ION in 2 weeks, I really need this thing to work.

Last edited by PhobosTau : 07-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.
PhobosTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 PM #2
PhobosTau

After some fiddling and more cleaning (LPR and Hyper3), I got the gun to fire. After popping a few blanks it seems to have loosened up, hmm. Even with the LPR backed out pretty far, it feels a little "weak". I'll have to wait to borrow my buddy's chrono to see how it's doing.

On the plus side, I was just dumping about 30 bps in the backyard, so at least I'm back in business.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 PM #3
PhobosTau

I spoke too soon. Now that I had some sunlight, I was adjusting my Hyper3 regulator out. I finally got the power I needed, but then after the next shot, nothing. The same clicking noise, and then the blinking green.

It feels to me like the bolt is sticking. Could it be because I'm using Dye green lube?

Last edited by PhobosTau : 07-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM #4
loki1313
I NEED MY MAKER'S

loki1313 plays in the PSP
loki1313 posts videos on PbNation
loki1313 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
blinking green should mean eye problem. once the green is blinking does it make the clicking noise
GREED #13

my feedback http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=869074
loki1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 PM #5
nevekd128

the blinking green is because the bolt didnt cycle past the eyes to reset the algorithm. that no issue at all.

the lube could be the problem, but you are probably using too much. just use enough to make the orings appear wet. so if you can see green where you lubed, you are using too much
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM #6
PhobosTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki1313 View Post
blinking green should mean eye problem. once the green is blinking does it make the clicking noise
The eyes are working fine. The bolt is sticking. If I turn off the eyes (to blinking red mode), the same problem occurs.

I went out and bought some Dow33 grease and re-lubed up the bolt (removed old crap obviously). I fired one shot and blew out the #7 014 O-ring on the top-hat. I must have had the LPR and Hyper3 cranked when I brute forced the bolt to move earlier. I replaced that 014 O-ring and lowered the LPR to 4 turns, and slowly backed out the Hyper 3, and I got it shooting again. The Hyper 3 seems abnormally sensitive. As in, not even 2 turns is to the point of nearly blowing out O-rings on the bolt.

When I finally got everything shooting right, I went through two hoppers in the backyard to make sure everything was fluid. Unfortunately, near the end of the second hopper, I got a massive leak in the back of the bolt. It was getting dark, and I'm almost out of air, so I'll generously re-lube tomorrow and try again with whatever air I have left.

This is my third Proto Matrix. You'd think I would've learned after my previous PM6 and PM7 both gave me endless problems, but I thought I could move past constant headaches with the PM8. I don't think my next electronic marker will be Dye or Proto.

Last edited by PhobosTau : 07-01-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 AM #7
rzhukov

rzhukov is playing at Living Legends III
rzhukov owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
rzhukov supports Bob Gurnsey
rzhukov has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PM are usually pretty reliable, just make sure you are using the ring o-rings and right amount of lube, set you lpr 3 to 5 turns out set your dwell to stock and you will eliminate 90% of problems in PMs/DMs
rzhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:08 AM #8
nevekd128

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzhukov View Post
PM are usually pretty reliable, just make sure you are using the ring o-rings and right amount of lube, set you lpr 3 to 5 turns out set your dwell to stock and you will eliminate 90% of problems in PMs/DMs
they are reliable, you just gotta tune them and lube them regularly.
your hpr is tooo high. the high pressure will blow the 14 and possible cause the tail to leak. so up your dwell to 18-20 and try chronoing again. that should allow you to drop the hpr plenty
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM #9
PhobosTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevekd128 View Post
they are reliable, you just gotta tune them and lube them regularly.
your hpr is tooo high. the high pressure will blow the 14 and possible cause the tail to leak. so up your dwell to 18-20 and try chronoing again. that should allow you to drop the hpr plenty
My HPR was only 3 turns out when it was blowing off the o-ring. I have since tuned it, and it's working well, but that seems a little sensitive.

I've always kept my dwell at 18.