Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM #1
Jonathan UK Refs

Reffing - what are we going to do about it?

Hardly anyone wants to ref a tournament. Most prefer to play.

This is something that has not changed in the 20+ years I since I started playing paintball.

Something else has stayed the same, as well. After each major event, there is always some controversy involving refs. It could be that they missed an important call, or they are being called lazy, or biased - or any combination of these.

Now, I have a lot of sympathy for refs. I have spent a lot of hours reffing, as have a number of my good friends.

I have been fortunate enough over the years to travel all over the UK, to Europe, the USA and Malaysia, all because of reffing, and always with my best friends.

If you think playing, say, X-ball is tough, try reffing it. Players get to take it easy after they have played their matches. Most refs step onto the field at 8am, and stay there for the next 9 hours, or even more, with only very short breaks.

To be on the ball for that length of time is really tough - there are a ton of calls to be made, and the pressure to get each call right is immense, no matter what format you play.

The purpose of this post is to make any tournament organizer that is reading this an offer.

In 2004, Robert "Rosie" Rose took a chance on bringing over an unknown group of guys from the UK - The UK Refs - to ref the PSP event at Disney's Wide World of Sport in May 2004.

I like to think that we did OK, as we were asked to come back.

If any tournament circuit could use the UK Refs, let me know and we'll try to work something out.

I know that, in these hard times, flying guys over from the UK isn't high on the agenda of most circuits. That said, we are the best at what we do. We can also train refs.

We have no bias - except in my case, for cake - and we are not looking to get rich from reffing. We understand that money is tight, so even if we cannot cover our expenses of coming over, maybe we can still work something out.

The refs I am talking about are guys like Gilly, Ant, Russ, JB, Rob, Tommy, Jabba, Mophead, Flanders, Mikey, Klaus and others.

I might not be able to make it over, but at least I can organize it.

We live for paintball.

Give the UK Refs a shot - you won't be disappointed.
Jonathan UK Refs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 PM #2
Spartan 03
The Heretics

Spartan 03 is playing at Living Legends VI
Spartan 03 supports Team VICIOUS
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Did you guys have a couple of refs at NPPL Chicago last year? Or was it PSP. I remember one of the events I reffed, either PSP Chicago Open or NPPL Chicago had a couple of refs from over seas and they did a very good job.
If I make you cheat, I win.
WORKS Autococker
Spartan 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM #3
Jonathan UK Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan 03 View Post
Did you guys have a couple of refs at NPPL Chicago last year? Or was it PSP. I remember one of the events I reffed, either PSP Chicago Open or NPPL Chicago had a couple of refs from over seas and they did a very good job.
I don't think any of our guys have reffed for the NPPL, but we would welcome the opportunity.

Brits usually stand out a mile - we talk funny, and drink. A lot.

In fact, our expert on drinking is Stuart Paint................and Mars Bar enjoys a drop of the naughty water now and then.

With names like that, how could we be anything but good?

Last edited by Jonathan UK Refs : 05-28-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM #4
Jonathan UK Refs

Almost forgot - we are also available for weddings and Barmitzvahs.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 AM #5
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
In the years I've played PSP from my experience I've never had a bad call from them [I've been pulled for some stupid ****, like a teammate's pack hit] and I can't say I've heard anything bad about them after events, they're usually regarded as the best group of refs and you should be happy if you play on the field they're assigned to.

Great group of guys.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 AM #6
Sn4zzle

I actually want to get into reffing but I think I am too young. I am 15, even though I have a deep voice and am 5'10'' so lots of people think I am older, not sure if they'd let me.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM #7
Jonathan UK Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
In the years I've played PSP from my experience I've never had a bad call from them [I've been pulled for some stupid ****, like a teammate's pack hit] and I can't say I've heard anything bad about them after events, they're usually regarded as the best group of refs and you should be happy if you play on the field they're assigned to.

Great group of guys.
Thanks, bro!

We have nothing but respect for our US cousins - some of the best times we have had.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 PM #8
Jonathan UK Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn4zzle View Post
I actually want to get into reffing but I think I am too young. I am 15, even though I have a deep voice and am 5'10'' so lots of people think I am older, not sure if they'd let me.
Don't let age hold you back - never too early to start!

If you are serious about it, enquire at your local tournament field.

If you are VERY serious - and I'm not sure where you are located - contact Mike Booglub, AKA Boogie.

One of the best, if not the best, Ref in the World. I kid you not.