PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM #43
facemower14
THAT guy

facemower14 plays in the PSP
facemower14 plays in the APPA D5 division
be fair and respectful and really patient with new players. If they feel like you are making it unfair to a team that is new, they probably won't come back. Also, be open to new suggestions by the players, hear them out. they know what they want.
facemower14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM #44
Imperial Ninja
Balls Away Paintball

Imperial Ninja supports Team VICIOUS
Imperial Ninja is for the Gunfight
Get on the field and do paint checks. I personaly get annoyed when refs dont check hits. Even when im not reffing i do paint checks mostly if i know the ref a little but even when i dont
Imperial Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM #45
RippinPAINT13
Team Glorious Basterds

Awesome Thread John \m/\m/ , my big thing is trying to supress the blind firing ... no matter how many times i tell ppl they still have the tendencies to wanna break that one rule every chance they get!
RippinPAINT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM #46
Imperial Ninja
Balls Away Paintball

Imperial Ninja supports Team VICIOUS
Imperial Ninja is for the Gunfight
One thing i noticed today when i was playing was this. Show new players how to hold a paintball marker cause i saw a bunch of kids either hip firing or holding there tank insted of reg/front grip. That made it really hard to navigate around bunkers and just made a challenge out of playing

98% percent of ballers wipe. And there all losers.
Imperial Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 AM #47
Paul724567
thats that

Paul724567 posts videos on PbNation
Paul724567 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Paul724567 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
great thread and as a ref i agree with all of this
Paul724567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM #48
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
I also put emphasis on talking to the group leaders or parents of the kids before we start play. I introduce myself to them and let them know if there are ANY issues, or questions then to please talk to me, as its my job to ensure their kids are safe and having fun.

Parents really like when you are real with them and make yourself approachable. They often times hear complaints or questions before you do, so having an open communication channel will only assist you in fixing any problems before they get out of hand.

On hot days I also make sure to ask not only the players, but also the parents if they are feeling alright and make sure they aren't experiencing heat exhaustion. Great way to build report and avoid any medical issues.

Oh and if you're reffing outdoors and you have some kind of allergy, and have an epi-pen.. Carry it in your squeegee pocket or make it available. Some of those fields are far away from your bag. Probably a good idea to make yourself aware of any first aid kits on sight as well. If your field doesn't have one.. Encourage purchasing one, and at the bare minimum learn some basic first aid skills.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 AM #49
Mr.Rabbit

Mr.Rabbit is for the Gunfight
I first started at my local field going on 8 years ago one thing I've learned and ill tell all the new refs the same thing "the best way to learn is through experience every day is different"

Try to learn as much as you can from the older refs (you know the guys that have been there longer than is healthy for them)

With parents that are worried about there kids i ask them if they want to sign a waiver and grab a mask and come with us on the field. This works great for the most part with young kids you are bringing down another authority figure, someone who can help them if you get overwhelmed and the parent gets to watch they're kid play they know they are safe and if you are friendly with the is a very good chance they will be back.

Always have communication with other refs and the store/registration especially with multiple groups.

At our field we try to play 2 games on every field before lunch break the after we usually let the customers pick since they now know all the fields.

Have a cell with you NOT to text but to call incase of an emergency.

Be ready for just about every thing i carry a "ref pack" that i try to keep ready at all times: food, water, light, med, kit, extra jersey (my jersey bought fire during a scenario once) anti fog, rags, allen wrenches, different clothes during the winter (maryland weather is very unpredictable)

With groups i try to give advice on how the field plays to both sides makes the games more interesting and keeps the action.

Don't let the games dead if the fire fights seem to being creeping to a halt i usually shouting the time to get things stirred up again.

If you have the time check the field see if any bunkers are falling down or if there is anything dangerous that needs to be removed.

If the group is doing good about following the safety rules thank them for it or compliment them for it you give them a gentle reminder of safety without being a dick.

Little kids can get scared if you have to go in and help them get off the field safely.

Learn the fields ref zones and coordinate with the other refs. You should always be able to the most players possible and from the side they are most likely to be shot from.

Refs have a good eye no doubt but face it we aren't god if you make a bad call own up to it without seeming incompetent and try to deal with after the game sidelines are usually not gate hang out spots.

No player left behind if friends or your team come out to play make sure you don't get side tracked talking to them the whole day.

Field refs are part ref,security,tour guide, gun tech, and paintball info booth

And for refs already working don't go to hard on the new guy my field had a very big problem with hazing new refs and we lost allot of staff because of it this is paintball not the Marine Corps.

ok so i feel like i shot my mouth off enough now.

Like a house of leaves before a storm
Mr.Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM #50
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Just be active. Nothing worse than needing a paint check, on you or your opponent, and the ref won't respond.
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM #51
adammorales4
a.mor85

adammorales4 plays in the APPA beginner division
adammorales4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
adammorales4 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
adammorales4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Nice

This is very useful information, as im thinking of becoming a first time ref. thanks
adammorales4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM #52
Bmxwright
whoop de do

Bmxwright owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bmxwright has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Here's a big one, stay calm when people are yelling at you and stay true to your call that you have made
Bmxwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM #53
Solano76

Thanks I really needed this
Solano76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM #54
flaxer99

Thumbs down yes

i am a 14 year old "volunteer" ref. i cant ref by myself but ill go out with older guys and im learning alot. this is a great list of tips! thanks http://imgs.pbnation.com/smilies/thumbs_up.gif
flaxer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 PM #55
MexiBaller147
The Whitest Mexican Alive

MexiBaller147 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
going to start reffing soon for my local fields, thanks so much!

Se habla Espaņol
MexiBaller147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 PM #56
TheMadPaintballer
*cough bonus ball cough*

TheMadPaintballer is playing at Living Legends VII
TheMadPaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
TheMadPaintballer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TheMadPaintballer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lightbulb

Watch to game carefully. Call cheaters out.
TheMadPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 PM #57
Redbeard81

Redbeard81 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Redbeard81 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This is one of the best threads that I've seen so far. As a noob myself, I really appreciate the love that you all have for the game. Great job guys, keep up the good work and lets get this sport to the next level!
Redbeard81 is offline   Reply With Quote