<3
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 PM #191
PbLoSeR05
CodyB

PbLoSeR05 is a Paintball photographer
PbLoSeR05 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
PbLoSeR05 is Legendary
Jimmy! When is your next video going to come around?

Houston Heat
PhotoMOB
PbLoSeR05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 AM #192
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntcheck45 View Post
Yeah, I have learned that you need to charge a lot for the prints, once you figure out cost of doing business and desired profit it just comes out high.

I've been debating about removing the $ signs in front of the print credit, and just have them be points. For both the credit and the prints themselves. 200 print credits, buys 4 prints prices at 25 credits a piece. So then people aren't like "oh my, $25 for a single print? Instead they are like "oh, 25 credits per print"
Anyone?

And I do some advertising, as well as word of mouth. My clientele isn't near what I want to be cranking out. Plan on doing some senior representatives though so hopefully that pays off
I like credits and I suppose you are doing sit down ordering? If so I'd say go for it. It changes the psychology of it all. I just do a $50 credit on basic portrait but I'm not trying to do it for a lot of profit/career.

I have heard a few times, "Hey what's your 8x10 price. $10? That's CHEAP". I probably should change something but I come out @ around $180 every portrait session all said and done and that's what I'm comfortable with.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:07 AM #193
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
Where did you get the fancy packaging? That looks awesome. You have a really good business sense from the looks of it, little details that I would never consider at this point.
Oh where did I get it, I used http://www.dnlphoto.com/ fair pricing, but the cost to make the metal for the design was a hidden fee I wasn't aware of, still a cool place
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbLoSeR05 View Post
Jimmy! When is your next video going to come around?
tonight hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
I like credits and I suppose you are doing sit down ordering? If so I'd say go for it. It changes the psychology of it all. I just do a $50 credit on basic portrait but I'm not trying to do it for a lot of profit/career.

I have heard a few times, "Hey what's your 8x10 price. $10? That's CHEAP". I probably should change something but I come out @ around $180 every portrait session all said and done and that's what I'm comfortable with.
Yeah 8x10 for 10 is super cheap, industry standard is supposed to be way higher. But since you are in a smaller, isolated market you can get away with it.
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 AM #194
fainerbainer
CK

yah, care to share how much you spent all around for what you got with the packaging? PM me if necessary.

Also, there is 0 market here for high end photography. Well, there might be but it'd be the whole do 2 gigs a year and make $4000 or 20 gigs and year and make 4000. I'm ok with 20 gigs given my lifestyle/what I'm doing. Especially when it allows me to get out and about and take photos. My prices will continue to rise given the time if things keep going the way they are (more and more inquiries for bookings).
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 AM #195
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
yah, care to share how much you spent all around for what you got with the packaging? PM me if necessary.

Also, there is 0 market here for high end photography. Well, there might be but it'd be the whole do 2 gigs a year and make $4000 or 20 gigs and year and make 4000. I'm ok with 20 gigs given my lifestyle/what I'm doing. Especially when it allows me to get out and about and take photos. My prices will continue to rise given the time if things keep going the way they are (more and more inquiries for bookings).
Have you thought about venturing to The Dalles?
I spent around $120 for a pack of 10 8x10 boxes, 25 5x7 frames and 100 wallets, all with custom logo. was like $80, but then I had to pay for $40 for the logo to be made on metal or something. 1 time fee. They do have a wholesale account on there so you get some discount if you are a business, so that helped a bit
Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 AM #196
fainerbainer
CK

Actually I have people calling me all the way from Arlington, OR (word of mouth). The Dalles is pretty low income and there is already a somewhat high(er) end outfit in town. $350 sitting fee + $45 8x10 prints after the fact is what they charge. I could probably bump my prices up to the $250 basic package range. But when I wasn't advertising for weddings I had people asking me if I could do them for $500 but that was after I said I would no longer do a wedding for less than $1000. After bumping my prices for weddings up I've had 0 bookings for weddings. I'm not sure if it's the pricing problem or maybe just exposure. Next year I plan on being at The Dalles Bridal show.

The last family portraits I did they explained to me that they went to the high(er) end place but couldn't afford any prints after they had the session. When I shot for them they ended up ordering a lot of prints so that's what I'm focusing on. Just get the bookings to pay for my time, upload it on zenfolio and let them do the whole ordering, etc. If I had the space for an office/studio I'd definitely advertise as a more high(er) end place and have sit down ordering sessions. I'm getting there.

The Dalles isn't "high" end by any means. I figure that it's pretty slim pickings. I'm getting 2-3 calls a week about young family portraits and they seem to be blue collar families where 1 works and the other stays home. Mostly in the 25-35 age range where my price structure seems to cater to.

Last edited by fainerbainer : 06-09-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:36 AM #197
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Try adding more high end packages and including more stuff in them. There are people out there who want them, as well as they make your middle end packages a lot more appealing. My old highest package was $300, now $300 is my lowest full package, and my average package would be my $420 or $570
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 AM #198
fainerbainer
CK

I've thought about and will continue to do so. I think adding a little flair like the boxes you have with my logo, getting rid of a lot of the print options (just 8x10, 5x7, wallets and anything above will be canvas), and making things tighter would help do that.

I'm also locking down team and individual sports for our school district next year so that will be a plus. Lots of things to do to start moving that way.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 AM #199
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Having a higher end package available, even if nobody really buys it, should be well worth it because what does it cost you to offer a higher end package? Nothing. Even if one person a year purchases that package, its one more than it would have been had you not offered it.

Ya dig? (i never say ya dig...i dont know why i even typed it)

Jimmy i like the way you have your packages structured. Once you get up to the Platinum package, theyre getting more print credit than what they paid for the whole shoot. It makes it seem like youre taking a loss, even though the prints dont actually cost you much, it makes it seem like theyre getting 120% value.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM #200
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
new video

Tried the new Fujifilm X100 for some senior portraits. It performed very well overall. Shooting at F2 is nice, and images are super sharp when the focus is spot on. Colors are nice and vibrant, shooting with it is simple and really easy to get on lock down. Only thing I didn't like was the minimal focusing distance seemed too far.

Here are a few sample images, the rest can be found on my facebook video found here: www.facebook.com/jimmyhickeyphotography

For you pixel peepers I have included the original file sizes to view as well. Note, WB is slightly off in some of these due to having to edit on my friends non calibrated computer since my version of LR couldn't read these raw files for some reason, will be fixed soon, the client already has the gallery from the 1d cameras.

http://jimmyhickey.smugmug.com/Galle.../O/x1002-L.jpg

http://jimmyhickey.smugmug.com/Galle...EATCHUBS-L.jpg

http://jimmyhickey.smugmug.com/Galle... O/x1001-L.jpg

http://jimmyhickey.smugmug.com/Galle...EATCHUBS-L.jpg

And a few of my favorites from my other bodies using the loupe

Fellow Eagle Scout, celebrating his court of honor this Sunday

Last edited by p8ntcheck45 : 06-09-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 AM #201
chrisaphotos
kayno Crank

Jimmy your the man! Good stuff
chrisaphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM #202
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Haha thanks. Feel like no one watched this last vid, posted it on a few forums and no one has really had anything to say...sucks spending a lot of time on something no one cares about haha. I figured it'd get some traffic due to being the X100, I was under the impression people were pumped about that camera. Ahhh well, heading to Salmon Arm Canada today for the weekend to shoot and play CPPL
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM #203
Rea[P]er
A Devil In God's Country

I watched it, just for you Jimmy. Btw you're liking the loupe I take it? How much more does shooting in live view drain your batteries j/w?

...and here (kinda a work in progress): Squarespace
Rea[P]er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM #204
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I watched it, and i liked it. I was expecting you to talk more about the x100 as the video went on...you know kinda giving your impressions of it and whatnot.

You should do a vid like this but once in a while stop and talk about the situation, what your going for in a certain shot, etc... I think it would make the vids a little more interesting rather than just sitting there watching you take pics.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 AM #205
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Sounds good, thanks for the qsugestions! And i plani. On doing another test with th at body talking more about it and what not
Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 PM #206
AKMetal
wat?

AKMetal is reppin' sidebar 4 life
jimmy you took some serious heat on potn for your grafitti PJ work.. kinda funny/sad
AKMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 PM #207
Grommzz
Ellis Imagery

Annual Supporting Member
^^ link ?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:12 PM #208
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ht=JimmyHickey

guessing this
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM #209
fainerbainer
CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMetal View Post
jimmy you took some serious heat on potn for your grafitti PJ work.. kinda funny/sad
eh, it was from one person who was law enforcement (from what I gather)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM #210
Grommzz
Ellis Imagery

Annual Supporting Member
Yeah i don't go on POTN at all.. But from a quick 5min scan seems it was only 1 guy who had the main beef.

I did chuckle at the "$20 Point and shoot" stab at Jimmys images though.. ahh kids these days.