NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Do you know someone in California Law Enforcement?

SB 798 was written at the request of the Los Angeles Chief of Police, in response to an incident where a police officer mistook a 13-year-old kid for a young adult, and mistook the replica airsoft hand gun the child was holding for a real firearm.

It would be great if we could find some members of law enforcement in California to explain how they can tell the difference between paintball guns and real firearms.

They can also hopefully explain that making airsoft/paintball guns brightly colored would not help them, since criminals can paint real firearms in a bright color, so law enforcement would have to assume something that looks like a gun really is a gun regardless of color.

Additionally, the bill has no exception for law enforcement purchases - so it would be illegal to sell police departments paintball guns for law enforcement purposes (like crowd control etc).

If you know a paintball player who works in law enforcement, make sure you encourage them to contact the members of the Committee on Public Safety to register their opposition to the bill, and to write a letter explaining why brightly colored paintball guns would not help them with their job or make them or the public safer.

Make sure they have the contact information from this thread:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3620935
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM #2
aust10n
I really need ... to kill

Do they need to be residents of California? My team has five Virginia police officers on it.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:26 PM #3
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Unfortunately we will need law enforcement officers who work and reside in California, but thanks for your effort!

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 06-08-2011, 01:30 PM #4
contract*killa
MASS Media

contract*killa posts videos on PbNation
i know a retired corrections officer, ill bring it up with him today

edit: or the next time i see him (this week)
contract*killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 PM #5
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
We probably need someone on the job in a police capacity, but hopefully he knows someone who can help.

Thanks,
Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM #6
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
I know a San Francisco Police officer , Alameda County Sheriff Deputy (who is also on the SWAT team), and a California Highway Patrol offcier. I've asked all of them. Waiting for a reply.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"

Last edited by o5pr3y : 06-08-2011 at 06:01 PM.
o5pr3y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM #7
ActionExpress
Alex Williams

ActionExpress plays in the PSP
ActionExpress plays in the APPA Pro division
My team captain is a detective in Santa Clara County, I'll get him involved as well.
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 AM #8
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Well damn. I've been trying to convince 2 of my friends in law enforcement, but they're firm supporters of the bill. They realize that any idiot can repaint their gun, but they feel it lowers the chances.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM #9
MagikF

This is a typical arm jerk response. Instead of giving training to the officer that shot the kid, lets not have the kid play with any toys or lets not teach kids that you treat everything as if it is a real weapon.

Oh, my kid is watching violent television shows, that means all television shows should have violence removed instead of just turning the channel.

Oh, my kid is listening to violent lyrics, lets take out all violence from lyrics instead of turning off the radio.

Oh, someone used stocking to cover their face during a robbery, lets ban all stockings so that no one will be able to use stockings to cover their face.

This is the kind of mentality we are starting to live with where people are no longer taking responsibilities for their actions. Yes I understand an officer must make a life or death decision in a second but does that absolve him from being responsible for his actions as will as the actions of the kid? If a police officer comes up and tell you to drop your airsoft rifle, you do it, you don't keep it pointed at the officer.
MagikF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM #10
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5pr3y View Post
Well damn. I've been trying to convince 2 of my friends in law enforcement, but they're firm supporters of the bill. They realize that any idiot can repaint their gun, but they feel it lowers the chances.
Did you explain that you agree with them with regards to those airsoft guns that look exactly like real firearms, but not with paintball guns?

Ask your friends if they can tell the difference between a paintball gun and a real gun. Ask your friends if they are going to let a kid point a paintball gun at them if it's bright orange.

We don't need to stop the bill from passing, we just need to amend it to exclude paintball guns.

- Chris