Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM #43
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots
 
greatwolf329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Annual Supporting Member
Haha thanks for that. Yes they are all goofy and loving at heart.
greatwolf329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 PM #44
NRP06
ex-2k6'er
 
NRP06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Steel City, PA
4 months

__________________


RIP: All American Paintball Park
Jerky Bob Fan Club
Tau Kappa Epsilon: Delta-Rho
NRP06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM #45
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED
 
kapp_badbloodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CLASSIFIED
 has been a member for 10 years
kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRP06 View Post
4 months

dawwww

awsome
__________________
OFFICIAL ORVIS WRECKING CREW
ANS GEAR || THE VEST GUY || PINOKIO HOPPERS

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM #46
outlaw19
VA's Finest
 
outlaw19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia (540)
outlaw19 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
outlaw19 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
We have a white german sheppard, he is the biggest baby ever. He is protective tho. My friend came in my house one time without me letting him in (I told him to) and my dog stopped him at the door growling and all. So he will protect our house but he is a big baby any other time.



His name is Charlie. He is around 8 years old but I don't think he will live much longer. He has seizures. I also think he is a big baby because we found him in a cemetery. We didn't take him at first but we knew someone who worked there and they said he had no owner and lived at the cemetery so we took him
__________________
PSN: Outlaw019
Steam: redwngsfan019


outlaw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM #47
Tellairai
 
 
Tellairai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SoCal
Tellairai helped look for balloons
Tellairai is playing at Living Legends III
Tellairai is an NCPA player
Tellairai plays in the APPA D4 division


My Bi-colored shep Kasier. Just finished getting his Sch.1 cert when i took the picture. But I no longer have him due to my new living situation
__________________
CALPOLY POMONA |Square1 Soldiers

Old Feedback +4/-0

Trauma Xbrawl
Tellairai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 AM #48
NRP06
ex-2k6'er
 
NRP06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Steel City, PA
few iphone shots from today



__________________


RIP: All American Paintball Park
Jerky Bob Fan Club
Tau Kappa Epsilon: Delta-Rho
NRP06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM #49
BunkerKing35
It's a Festivus Miracle!
 
BunkerKing35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta/Lville/Barcelona
BunkerKing35 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I love pure German Shepherds. I have a german shepherd Lab mix though, and love her to death. Extremely gentle and loving.

Here are some pics when she was about four months old (3 years old now).





More recent:



__________________
University of Louisville '12

FCBarcelona

Flickr
BunkerKing35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM #50
NRP06
ex-2k6'er
 
NRP06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Steel City, PA


about 4.5 months old
__________________


RIP: All American Paintball Park
Jerky Bob Fan Club
Tau Kappa Epsilon: Delta-Rho
NRP06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 AM #51
dudeus000
Bloody Wanker
 
dudeus000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -918-
dudeus000 is a Supporting Member
Looking to get a shepherd pup from my local shelter. I live in a pretty good size apt, with a lot of yard out back to run around. Anything I should know before making this decision?

Here are the four, of which I'm really wanting one of. They're all just too damn cute!

She's about 3 months old, my top pick as of yet.



This guys about 5 months old. Pick two.



She's about 6 months old. Pick three.



And then there's this beast. She's two years old and absolutely beautiful (German and Malamute mix), however she's got longer hair, and my girlfriend is alergec so I'm trying to keep the apt as friendly to her nose as possible.




Keep in mind I haven't met any of the dogs yet, so my mind might change. Also, has anyone tried biking with their shepherds? I love road biking and mountain biking, and would really love for my new pup (once grown) to be able to come with me.
__________________
An eye for an eye makes the world blind. - Gandhi


Last edited by dudeus000 : 06-06-2011 at 02:58 AM.
dudeus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM #52
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots
 
greatwolf329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Annual Supporting Member
All beautiful GSDs and mixes. I'd meet them all first before deciding. Only advice I can give is be prepared for a new family member with a brain that never shuts off. They are quite the active breed, but my favorite hands down.

As for biking, I have a few times with mine. Works out ok. I'll take a run with her over biking any day.
greatwolf329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 PM #53
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED
 
kapp_badbloodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CLASSIFIED
 has been a member for 10 years
kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
I just picked up a new narcotics dog (Lucky). He's only two but he is pretty good on odor... still working on obedience tho:

__________________
OFFICIAL ORVIS WRECKING CREW
ANS GEAR || THE VEST GUY || PINOKIO HOPPERS

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM #54
dudeus000
Bloody Wanker
 
dudeus000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -918-
dudeus000 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf329 View Post
All beautiful GSDs and mixes. I'd meet them all first before deciding. Only advice I can give is be prepared for a new family member with a brain that never shuts off. They are quite the active breed, but my favorite hands down.

As for biking, I have a few times with mine. Works out ok. I'll take a run with her over biking any day.
I used to have Australian Shepherd pups when I lived with my parents. I think I'm ready for the energy level and smartness.

Unfortunately, I can't run for long distances, got a bum knee. But I love biking, hope I can train em.

Any advice for potty training a German? Or is it kinda like every other dog out there?
__________________
An eye for an eye makes the world blind. - Gandhi

dudeus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM #55
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED
 
kapp_badbloodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CLASSIFIED
 has been a member for 10 years
kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeus000 View Post
I used to have Australian Shepherd pups when I lived with my parents. I think I'm ready for the energy level and smartness.

Unfortunately, I can't run for long distances, got a bum knee. But I love biking, hope I can train em.

Any advice for potty training a German? Or is it kinda like every other dog out there?
When they're pups start crating them when you're away. When you get home immediately take them outside to go piss and ****. Also. Wait them out. Don't go inside until they've used the bathroom. Most dogs wont use the bathroom in the confined space of the crate. You might have to wait till the dog is about 6-8 months to try this technique... puppies are just piddle factories
__________________
OFFICIAL ORVIS WRECKING CREW
ANS GEAR || THE VEST GUY || PINOKIO HOPPERS

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM #56
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots
 
greatwolf329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
When they're pups start crating them when you're away. When you get home immediately take them outside to go piss and ****. Also. Wait them out. Don't go inside until they've used the bathroom. Most dogs wont use the bathroom in the confined space of the crate. You might have to wait till the dog is about 6-8 months to try this technique... puppies are just piddle factories
Well put. I can say out of the 3 GSD's i've had since pups, i have never had a 'dookie' accident in the house, but piddling is unavoidable to an extent. My current pup took about a month to stop the house piddling. What I've had work for me is a leash method, to form locational habits along with the potty training.(yes may sound very strict, but when you live in a place that requires it(an apt/condo/etc...). What I usually do is take them out on a 6' lead 20 minutes before eating and 20 minutes after eating to the same place every time. If done enough, they will go to this spot every time. Other then meal times, out every 2 hours or after intense play time, or a walk and such. As with other training exercises, it's all about building confidence. wait them out for at least a pee'ing and praise them for doing it outside. Everyone has their own methods that work for them, and this is what works(and has worked a number of times) for me. That and it makes clean up easy! GSD's are a very rewarding breed. You will see that very early in ownership.
greatwolf329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM #57
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED
 
kapp_badbloodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CLASSIFIED
 has been a member for 10 years
kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf329 View Post
Well put. I can say out of the 3 GSD's i've had since pups, i have never had a 'dookie' accident in the house, but piddling is unavoidable to an extent. My current pup took about a month to stop the house piddling. What I've had work for me is a leash method, to form locational habits along with the potty training.(yes may sound very strict, but when you live in a place that requires it(an apt/condo/etc...). What I usually do is take them out on a 6' lead 20 minutes before eating and 20 minutes after eating to the same place every time. If done enough, they will go to this spot every time. Other then meal times, out every 2 hours or after intense play time, or a walk and such. As with other training exercises, it's all about building confidence. wait them out for at least a pee'ing and praise them for doing it outside. Everyone has their own methods that work for them, and this is what works(and has worked a number of times) for me. That and it makes clean up easy! GSD's are a very rewarding breed. You will see that very early in ownership.
This

Inducive methods work best like stated above. If you use any sort of compulsion for bad potty behavior you will get negative results. I also use the leash trick for breaking my MWD. Since they are kenneled most of the time when they are not on the road, first thing I do is take him to the break area. We use 6' leashes on all the dogs except when we get them on the 360" or 360 retractible. Anyways, I keep him on the 6' close to where I want him to do his business. It takes him a bit but he is getting used to me waiting him out till he goes and he is getting better at it and not ****ting in his kennel. Its unavoidable... they always poop in the kennel

Also, with a puppy and a younger dog, maintain your inducive training methods. If the dog knows the behavior or command (sit, stay, down, etc) give the command or gesture and if the dog performs give them their praise and some light petting. If they know the desired behavior and fail to perform, give them a stern NO and repeat the command. Once they perform with-hold their praise and petting for failure to perform. This is called "Positive Reinforcement and Negative Punishment" giving the praise (reinforcement) and with-holding the "NO!" (punishment/no praise). With compulsion it is considered "positive punishment" when administering a meaningful correction for disobeying a known behavior and negative reinforcement by not administering a meaningful correction paired with verbal and physical praise.

SO... what this means is if you are using compulsion "IE physical corrections" for your dog going bathroom in an undesired location you are actually hurting the dog you're training. He is performing a biological response and cant help having to go but there are better methods to getting him to perform a desired task. Greatwolf is helping his dog by marking the desired behavior by providing that praise and love and, I hope, with-holds the same for undesired behavior.

This will also help when teaching your dog not to jump on you, when performing obedience, and of course potty-training which we talked about. This is just a small bit of information the military uses to teach their working dogs desired tasks and behaviors. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. These methods are NOT limited to working breeds they work with ALL dogs!!!

Sorry to rant... im bored
__________________
OFFICIAL ORVIS WRECKING CREW
ANS GEAR || THE VEST GUY || PINOKIO HOPPERS

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump