PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 AM #22
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
The foam on the fins is standard craft foam you can get at any craft store.

Would you really want a one piece foam rocket like the JCS? That to me doesn't seem like it would keep the center of gravity where it needs to be to keep from tumbling. I always wondered about that with the JCS to begin with.

If I were to improve on the nerf, I'd make the diameter of the front section a tad wider for sure, but the tail would be free-spinning. So you can still groove your barrel (positive or negative grooves) to get your spiral, but the tail still has the ability to stabilize the flight without wasting energy rotating fins. I'd probably lengthen the fins 1/2" and add a 4th fin as well just for ease of storing in a jig. Drill out a block, cut it into quarters, clamp the quarters down around the tail section of the nerf. Presto, not only can you store your nerf without bending fins, but you can easily trim them all to the length needed. Idk, just rambling out loud here.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM #23
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Rocket substitute!!!

Well we can alway shoot from our launchers what was on the JackAss 3 vid someone posted. Adult stores all over the country have thousands of them. I have only heard this and dont know for a fact. At last we would be buying American.

Treaddz
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM #24
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
improve on the nerf, I'd make the diameter of the front section a tad wider
Sprinkler valves do not like tight bore fits. They flatten front to back during firing and seal. Why the grooved rifling in the spud tech barrels work.

Lets not try to reinvent the Nerf.

Well................... EAT MY WORDS now...

Mold a 1/4 Inch dia and 1/2 inch deep hole in the tip so we can go back to marking our hits... and make the fins the same diameter as the bulb. and ................

I just couldn't resist being a tinkerer. Gotta tinker..... and I talking to tinkerers here, I give up. Have fun.....

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 05-28-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM #25
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnum Tankerman View Post
Well we can alway shoot from our launchers what was on the JackAss 3 vid someone posted. Adult stores all over the country have thousands of them. I have only heard this and dont know for a fact. At last we would be buying American.

Treaddz
But you have to think about the safety of that projectile. Not only will it undoubtedly knock somebody's mask of, but they can turn around and charge you with sexual assault at the same time. Although, "Fear the Mushroom Stamp" stenciled on the business end of the launcher would be kinda humorous.

Dale, are you talking about marking our hits with different colored paint? Carpenter's Chalk?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 PM #26
xgstnightmare

oh boy i can see it now "local paintball player sent to ER, after being hit in the eye with a flying silicone male member"
xgstnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM #27
JESTERTLS

Yeah, I wouldnt, but I sure do know a few that would be launching them as soon as our field said it was okay... I mean we already have two blow up love sheep so our role player "Farmer" can have farm animals on his property. They killed the inflattable Kangaroo two years ago. (The kangaroo did not come from the adult store.)

Steve, my thinking on the one piece is ease of making since I havent a clue what I'm doing. First thing for us is a rebuild on the Redneck Wagon. So a wleder and learning how to use it as I dont know anything about that either. After we get that done, then I guess its molds and making ammo.

Maybe we will all get lucky and before we run out of ammo some option will present its self that works and is affordable an we aint gotta make it our selves. Heck some of our guys are still playing with the giant marshmellow ideal. The airsofters at our field started using streamers on them to stabalize their flight. And the said its better if they are just slightly stale. Too stale and they are too hard, and fresh they may explode in your barrel. Food for ammo may not be the best option but it is the cheapest at this point.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 AM #28
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yep, The plumbers chalk in vaseline marking system. Doesn't have to be different colors. A hit is a hit. Friendly fire counts.

After we have the hole, we cut it with a bread knife to make the 'Super X'. This will mark a glancing hit on a target that is hit within 15 degrees of parallel.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 05-29-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 PM #29
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

I think making the nerf fit 2 inch pvc would work fine. it must me a loose fit in it. the jcs rounds fit almost perfect and fire well.

as i said before we all know they just cost too much and come apart to easily

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 PM #30
xgstnightmare

dang nerfs on ebay are like $6 a pop yikes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM #31
N2extreme1

When they came out with the eclipse launcher some time back they had their own rockets made. They were 40mm. I purchased some of the rockets and they were not made of the same material as the JCS rockets. They seemed a little more dense. These rockets shot great but they were $6 a pop. The company is no longer in business. I think it was someone making them out of their house if you ask me. I still have the mailing address but the email no longer works. Several months back there was an eclipse launcher for sale on ebay. I contacted the seller and he said that he had came up with the design and sold the rights. He also stated that he had the molds and made the ammo. He would not sell me the molds because he had an agreement with the person who bought and marketed the launcher. Every time I contact the person who marketed the launcher about ammo he keeps telling me it is on its way. Well that has been well over 2 yrs now. I think I have the contact info to the company that supplied the material to make the rockets. I believe I even have the product id number floating around somewhere as well. I gave all this to one of my team members who was in charge of public relations, sponsors etc but he has since left the team.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM #32
N2extreme1

Yup just checked my info. I have the company name and product id number.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 AM #33
xgstnightmare

N2 do you guys still have your eclipse launcher, id like to buy one of those bad boys.
any problems with it?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM #34
N2extreme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgstnightmare View Post
N2 do you guys still have your eclipse launcher, id like to buy one of those bad boys.
any problems with it?
Yup still have it. Dont use it all that much due to the time it takes to load. Nerfs will fit in it but you have to cut fins all the way to the base of the hard plastic peice in the tail. It is also a tight fit for the tip of the Nerf. I can load the dual cannons in the turret much faster. I was working on a belt feed for the Eclipse but without the proper size 40mm ammo I kind of gave up on it. I know there is a market for the 40mm ammo too. There was a thread not to long ago where several people said they would be interested.

The Eclipse was a great design but its focus was more towards the military. If paintball was in mind a 52mm version would have been made. Still a need gizmo I just have not been able to unlock its full potentional. Now if I could get ahold of Q's launcher I would certainly help get rid of the Nerf supply
Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM #35
xgstnightmare

i have been victim to your cannon, and you tell no lie of its speed, actually we play with you guys fairly often
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM #36
xgstnightmare

ahhh q's mark 1 niner, that thing is insane
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM #37
SAS Voodoo

now the problem for using different ammo is that you will have to talk to the field owner and clear it with them first. so fields may not allow a stress ball or a tennis ball. a tennis ball is hard and it can be deadly if it was to hit some one in the head or chest because even at 200 fps its still fast and not worth the trouble. but check it out with the owners. I know that if u take it to bigger games that the rules are strict when it comes down to the size and shape of the ammo.
SAS Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM #38
hardboy1864

I might have been the last person to score nine vortex nerf rockets for $2.99 on AMAZON.COM. This was the begining of last week. LOL.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM #39
r_clarke
Disposable Heroes

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/33...am_Rocket.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...am_rocket.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/27...oy_rocket.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/33...ss_Rocket.html

The Remaining rockets that NERF had, i was told that RAP4 Bought them all up, and now sells them for $8 each
Animal Custom Paintball Gear_HitMan Gear
Psycho Scenario Mask covers

WEB
www.facebook.com/disposableheroespaintballteam
r_clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM #40
CNCRouterman

I just talked with my wholesaler for Nerf Mini Vortex Footballs. Word is that the SKU has been canceled, however, we will be able to purchase the same product from Hasbro under a new product SKU. Currently I have access to about 300, but have to buy in case lots (12 Mini Vortex per case). The last bulk purchase I made and sold to a PB team (they bought around 14 cases) worked out far less than the scary $5.00 mark.

Not sure if pricing has moved since my last bulk order, so not sure what I would have to sell them at the next time around.

So, the good news is that it appears that the Nerf Mini Vortex is not dead yet, but will be re-branded. Which, considering my vendor sells out in a few days, it is not surprising that the product will continue. I usually have to wait for 6 or so weeks if I am slow on the draw because they sell out so darn fast, and I am not into speculative purchases.

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"
CNCRouterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM #41
JESTERTLS

Okay that is excelletn news CNC.

Also R Clark, good site you found. Some of those are differeing diameters, but still usable items there. Deffinetly might check futher into some of those.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM #42
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

The ones I've seen are the sport related ones which retail for $4.99. They are the same just with sports team on them.