PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 AM #1
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Tried .50 cal today.....

I just got a .50 cal conversion for my Ego 10 today. I wanted to try it and see for myself what the real deal was since I have read SOOO much trash talk and haters with it, so I decided to make my own determination.

The stats:
Ego 10 - stock settings
Tank - a friends 68/4500 pure energy HP (have not gotten the tank I bought yet )
Customized my Prophecy for the .50 cal balls (had a couple jams but not to bad, need to do a little more work on it)

I shot 2573 rounds on 1, 4200 psi fill. I used Formula 13 .50 cal ( a 4000 round case only cost me $35.00!!! . I could split a case with my brother or a friend and it would only cost us about $18 each to play a day!!!) I had excellent accuracy, I was hitting a 6" diameter tree ball on ball from about 70-75ft and the max distance was only about 10-15 ft shorter (we shot some in a big open parking lot, not the best way to measure but the diff in distance was VERY minimal from what we easily saw) than .68 cal (my brother was shooting his Ego 9 next to me with a 14" CP 2 piece .682 w/ RPS premium and then a 14" .684 DYE UL at around 290fps), chrono was 290 fps +/-3 with the .50 cal. I bought an extra 500 rounds of Kingman Spyder yellow balls from Sport Chalet and the accuracy was even better!!! These balls were bad ***, better than the Formula 13.

(GUYS this whole .50 cal vs. .68 cal thing is ALLLLLL preference so I'd appreciate no trash talk this is my experience)

I personnally enjoyed the .50 cal. It was a lot of fun and I like it. At almost half the cost of a regular case of paint I got double the amount, it did lighten my load quite a bit with 4, full, 150 round pods, packed with 50 cal balls, strapped to me and a full hopper. The weight difference was noticeable. My Ego was A LOT quieter too!!!

Did I like it? YES.
Will I stick to it? More than likely I will. For me, it had a lot of pros that I liked, especially the cost of paint, how much my efficiency increased, accuracy was awesome AAAAAND I dont see having to buy multiple barrels, I don't see it being needed. Everything worked together GREAT!!! (Good job Planet Eclipse)

The little cons, you lose A LITTLE bit of distance (not much) , I think the barrel is a little to skinny looking and it is a bit hard to find the paint. Thats all I see as my cons.

Like I said, it is ALL PREFERENCE GUYS! Just like the whole spool vs. poppet debate.

I look at it this way, go with what you like and works for you and have a good time with your friends at the field. Its all about creating memories and having fun!
c4fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM #2
TAPaintball

So you liked the Slate Classic paintballs better than the Formula 13?

Did you have any trouble with them breaking in the barrel?
TAPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM #3
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Funny you said that about the State Classic. I got a 2000 round case yesterday and got 7 barrel brakes out of about a 1000 rounds. I guess I didn't run through enough of the State Classic the 1st time, or what ever, who knows. But, when I shot it compared to the Formula 13, it shot more accurate. Ill be sticking to Formula 13 for sure. I had no problems at all with Formula 13.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM #4
TAPaintball

That is why I mentioned it. I tried the Slate Classic paint and felt there were an unusually high number of barrel breaks with it.

Thanks for the input. I'll be trying the Formula 13 paint soon.
TAPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:56 PM #5
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Formula 13 you shouldn't have a problem with. I shot a TON of it the day I did the conversion and had no barrel brakes at all!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:55 PM #6
Excaka
ridikyələs

has been a member for 10 years
Excaka has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Excaka has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
how did you get 4000 so cheap? its 65 everywhere else
Excaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM #7
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

I got it at Paintball gateway. They had it at there store marked at that price.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM #8
st.remy

are there any tippmann coversion kits?
st.remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 PM #9
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Not that I know of. Id do a google search but I don't think so bud.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM #10
LoneWolf99
Knight Stalker

I believe, pretty shortly after the first press releases came out, Tippmann declared they were going to have nothing to do with .50

So, if anyone does make a kit, it'll have to be third party.

Proudly Sponsored By:
Outdoor Extreme - Chesapeake City
Chipley Custom Machine (CCM)
Feel Good Inc. Pump Team

R.I.P. Rob "Cooter" Coltrane - OPFOR & Knight Stalker - Best of the Best, 1952 - 2010
LoneWolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 PM #11
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPaintball View Post
That is why I mentioned it. I tried the Slate Classic paint and felt there were an unusually high number of barrel breaks with it.

Thanks for the input. I'll be trying the Formula 13 paint soon.
I used State Classic yesterday to do some adjustments on my prophecy to try to cure the minor jam issue that happens sometimes and I had 2 balls break in the hopper, just from loading and reloading and running them through. That paint is very brittle. When It shoots it shoots very accurate but it is a gamble on breaks. Stick to Formula 13.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM #12
Cutting

Good to hear... Wish there was a more universal conversion though!
Cutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:06 AM #13
Neil42

Tried the gi milsim paint?....2 or 3 star is pretty impressive...and use the spyder 50 cal hopper...its dammed fast, you wont out shoot it!
Neil42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 AM #14
winner140

winner140 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i need too try this hear alot of good about it and a lot of bad so must try just too see and for something too do. thx for your info.
90% teenagers today prefer electros over pumps. If you are a teen who rocks a pump, add this to your sig.92% of teens move to rap music. If your part of the 8% that stayed with rock, put this in your sig

PM OR CALL ME AT 406 671 7326 TOO FIND OUT THE TRUTH ABOUT MY FEEDBACK.
winner140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM #15
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil42 View Post
Tried the gi milsim paint?....2 or 3 star is pretty impressive...and use the spyder 50 cal hopper...its dammed fast, you wont out shoot it!
I was thinking of ordering some online but Im kind of afraid about having paint shipped. I was going to get that 50 cal hopper but I've been holding off. I've already spent so much money. I also have a Evolution 3 viewloader and that thing works great! I have not had a jam yet and loads very fast! So far no issues with that keeping up with my Ego 10 or brakes or jams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner140 View Post
i need too try this hear alot of good about it and a lot of bad so must try just too see and for something too do. thx for your info.
Yea man, give 50 cal a try. Its fun to play with. Make sure you use a good ball and loader. It is pretty cool!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 PM #16
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fly View Post
I was thinking of ordering some online but Im kind of afraid about having paint shipped.

Yea man, give 50 cal a try. Its fun to play with. Make sure you use a good ball and loader. It is pretty cool!!
I'm just going to put my 2 cents into this thread about shipping paint.
I haven't played .50, but I'd like to once I can afford the conversion kit.
I bought some RPS Stingers online and had them shipped UPS Ground (free) for purchases over $100. All three cases came packed in one large box and were all surrounded by packing peanuts. I split it with my roommate and as of right now, I'm pretty sure there are no breaks or busts in the bag. That being said, they are RPS Stingers, and maybe a more fragile paint won't hold as well through shipping. The paint seemed pretty fresh too, no dimples so far either. Also if you have to pay shipping that can be pretty costly too. The only reason I had paint shipped was because my local shop was out of almost every cases there.

It could be hit or miss online, but that's what I've recently experienced.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM #17
ClarkeRich

After the money for the conversion kit and the slight performance decrease, i will stick to .68.

APPLY HERE: Iran needs new suicide bombers
All the good ones are gone.
ClarkeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM #18
c4fly
Mercy is for the weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeRich View Post
After the money for the conversion kit and the slight performance decrease, i will stick to .68.
I don't know why you even posted in my thread trying to start something. If you want to make statements like that, there are plenty of other threads that you can have your fun in. NOT MINE!

i8somepie, thank you for the insight. Im going to give it a try and order a case of .50 online (i've never done it) and see how it goes. Im sure it will be ok, I hope!

Last edited by c4fly : 05-12-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 AM #19
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
hey, anytime! I hope it comes through well.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM #20
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
im thinking about buying the conversion kit, and like 3 or 4 orders of the 4k formula 13 paint just for breaking in my markers and to shoot in the yard when im bored. with the increased efficiecny i wont have any problem with running out of air with my tanks before i do paint. With working usually 7 days a week anymore and only field near me being private group and event play only and FPO I just cant play more then a few times a year. so im thinking the conversion is a good idea for me for someone that just wants to shoot. Kinda like with firearms, if u wanna plink go .22 bc its cheapest and I shoot alot of .22 btw
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM #21
importuner350z
Thomas

Annual Supporting Member
importuner350z plays in the PSP
importuner350z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ive wanted to try .50 cal.. the nano looks really nice.. close to a luxe lol

wish i had the cash though... heard good things, and it looks good to me.

haters gonna hate. it always happens, people dont like change. honestly, i believe people need to get lives, and stop worrying about what other people are doing, thinking, or prefer. for real, its a personal choice, so stop crying..

just my 2 cents.! great thread, read alot of good things. hopefully it hits the NW.
importuner350z is offline   Reply With Quote