Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM #22
reaper_t_r
The Swampballer

Okay, so first off, I am not trolling. I may not post often, but trust me, I've been here for a while. I also intend no insult to any of the above posters.

Second, I have seen these devices in action, just not with paintball. We have used them to help shooters having flinching problems from muzzle blast on large bore rifles. And I have read the MCB thread on this as well as this one.

As a manufacturing engineer who deals with safety and ergonomics projects for about half of my work, I do not think that these are safe for paintball. Based on the mechanism, the pressure, and the blast that is put out, I think that there is much potential for injury.

To begin, the decible rating that I have seen for these devices is 120-140dB. According to both of my safety manuals, in an open space, 140dB is the maximum allowed for an impactive sound. For an enclosed space, such as a room being cleared, it is closer to 110dB. Because of this, it can be assumed that without hearing protection there is a hearing loss risk involved with these. These levels that are standard are also assuming the noise source is a distance away. If, for some reason, one of these goes off near a persons head, the effect would be compounded.

And as far as the matter is concerned with it going of in someones hand, I believe that there are some serious issues with this as well. I do think that for someone with soft hands not wearing gloves, lacerations could occur. The reason that I say this is at one facility that I worked for, we implemented an air jet to separate rubber in an explosive environment. This rubber was definitely denser than flesh, so it is definitely possible for a burst of air to lacerate skin, although I am not sure if the blast from these devices is extreme enough for this to occur.

I also know that anytime there is prolonged numbness, there is potential for neurological damage. I would classify 10-15min as prolonged. I know that if I designed something for human use that during an accident caused numbness for that long, my career would most likely be ruined, and I would probably have a large lawsuit against me and my company.

It is my opinion that these devices would not be good for the sport either. People looing for an extremely realistic experience are only a minute section of the paintball crowd. Most are looking to have a bit of fun on a weekend. I think that if this became popular at feilds, many people would become annoyed and scared off. Besides, I know I would not want my kids around them.
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM #23
Demon of the Mist (Banned)

I am all about milsim I pay $$$ to get my Rap4 set up and I love it. Its like playing with a real M4! But these should not be used. If they are, I sense a law suit will be filed. THEY ARE BADASS! But I would only use them on my friends when we play cause they might ***** at me for a while. But it wouldn't be the worst thing we had done to each other if one of those hits someone in the back of the head. haha But ya they are an awesome idea just would needed to be toned down a little. Other than the safety of players and people complaining, Fing AWESOME!
Demon of the Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 AM #24
JESTERTLS

Now Reaper knows how to post a negative review of an item. Now while I do point out these types of items have been in use for some years in airsoft and they are still in use, I will concede the point of not for use in general and scenario settings. I still see them as suitable for MilSim events (private and invitational). Its a bit easier in those settings with limited numbers to insure everyone knows how and can deal with said items properly.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM #25
JESTERTLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
I was gonna stay outta of this after my last post but come on guys, grow up.

Alright, seeing as your the king of PBN, this will be my last post here if you dont act childish when I leave.
Dude, really? Your telling us to grow up then you post something with the express intentions of tossing fuel on the fire. I have to ask why?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 AM #26
Ramous
Pumper

Ramous is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTERTLS View Post
Dude, really? Your telling us to grow up then you post something with the express intentions of tossing fuel on the fire. I have to ask why?
Your the one fueling this argument dumb-dumb. I said just about everything Reaper said in his post but because he says hes an engineer you'll just take his word without any fuss, even though you were just arguing against the same points earlier.

The fact is you have spent the past page of this thread trolling me specifically, barely even talking about the grenades.

When you try to tell someone they are ignorant, a troll, and should leave a forum they have been a part of for years believe it or not, it does piss them off, and the level of maturity you have displayed in this thread is that of a child, hence why I called you one, and I stick to it.

Last edited by Ramous : 05-16-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM #27
JESTERTLS

I never called you ignorant and never said you should leave this forum. I never insulted you once. As close as I came to doing so was I said you were trolling. And you were. Insulting me = "inflamatory remarks" and that is by deffinition trolling. Heck I even looked up the deffinition. Now with that said it technicly says "posting off topic comments" is trolling too, so I'm guilty of that.

I'm putting more stock in Reapers post as he has had hands on experience with this item and his post didnt have a single insult directed at me. And yes I do put more stock in engineers opinions on stuff like this, nothing personal to you or any non engineers. The team I am on has an engineer for a member and I have learned to trust his opinion on technical matters.

And again, you need to take a look at the maturity level of your own post before you start talking about someone elses.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 AM #28
hardboy1864

Oh boy!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM #29
143rd SOG (Det. A)
"SEMPRE INTENDO INGUEN! "

We've got a couple of these, they're harmless. Good for room clearing in scenario/milsim games and practical jokes.

Thank You To Our Sponsors:
http://watchyourbackproductions.com
http://norsemantire.com/
Check Out The Great Gear And Deals From Our Friends at:
http://oregonpaintball.com
143rd SOG (Det. A) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 AM #30
Aut0c()cker4l1f3

Sorry guys, dont ever post here but stumbled in and saw this and i feel i need to give a little input.

the proshop i work at used to sell them and i cannot say they are harmless.
One of our employees set one off in his hand soon after we started to carry them and it literally did nothing, no numbness bruising lacerations etc..
Then two days later, at our field a younger kid picked one up on the playing field and inevitably blew up in his grip. I was pretty close by and saw his hand like 10 minutes later and his hand was so dark purple it looked almost black. And it did cut him really really slightly, band aid fixed that but the bruising was like a streak across his palm from where the grenade is designed to explode, which is just a seam that runs down the side of the grenade body. And that is why we no longer sell them... no lawsuit just didnt want someones finger taken off.

Last edited by Aut0c()cker4l1f3 : 05-25-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Aut0c()cker4l1f3 is online now   Reply With Quote