PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 PM #1
bunkerfestpal
It's Biznaz Time

New Team

OK I just started a 5 man team. Its kind of a mess right now though. I have played for two other teams, but this is the first ive been in charge of. I have 5 players, one with a DM4, an 07 ego, Epiphany and an A-5, but the A-5 will be using the team bakup gun. I had my shocker and PM7 stolen. Im borrowing a PMR and an Ion. My question is, is there anything in particular i should be doing as a captain. I am organizing practices but some of the kids dont ever show up... any thoghts this isnt the only issue, but any help is well help

What you resist, you attract

Why does it seem everyone's gun shoots ropes, tits and lasers, I thought this was paintball...
bunkerfestpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2009, 06:54 PM #2
bourgpeyton
pr0n

Well if there not showing up and are'nt serious about this like you are, kick em out if thats what you need to do.
][nvert Mini Gloss Black #24710
Invert Mini w/ ND Bolt/Spring Kit
Empire Magna Drive w/Virtue Crown
Guerilla Air 48/3k
EPIC Facepalm Warning... Do Not Look Below
Originally posted by The Weatherman: will a Hyper 3 reg fit in the mini grip frame?
33% of people choose rock, 33% of people choose scissors, 33% of people choose paper, if you are one of the 1% of people who ballsmack your oponent put this in your sig.
bourgpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM #3
SithKnightBB
WKY Baller

has been a member for 10 years
Decide your goals.

You just need to decide what kind of team you want to have. Are you organizing a team just to play and have fun or are you wanting to be seriously competetive, or something in between? If you are just wanting to play some tourneys with your friends, then you can't expect to have real practice sessions that are super organized because they are going to be just out there to have fun and shoot people. If you are wanting a competetive team then you need to start over fresh and get everybody together and let your goals be very clear to everyone. If they find this to be too serious or too big of a commitment then you are giving them an exit right then with no hard feelings. They may decide later that they want to play competitive and come back. The main thing is to be very honest and up front with your guys or gals and let them know you expect the same.
Also I wouldnt focus too much on equipment right now. 10bps (or slower) is going to be the norm so most people could play with a spyder right now.
The best thing a new team can focus on is communication and working together making moves. Individual skill development should be the responsibilty of each player, unless you want to devote a lot of practice time to it. Which is difficult to do with teams that struggle to make it to practice.
Good luck with your team if you got any more questions and want my opinion let me know and I'll try and help. I've put a few teams together and learned from a lot of mistakes we've made.
I PLAY AT Wizardland! YOU SHOULD TOO!
Brett
GEAR for sale! MORE GEAR
SithKnightBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM #4
Konflict_Jerid
Southern Indiana Konflict

i will def agree. you should decide on what you want out of your "team" before u have a team.

and also it should be comprised of friends before great paintball players. i know this sounds weird but you can have 5 total badasses that hate each other and will never jive on the field. or 5 dudes that are best friends that know how each other move. and with that comes practice. thats where you know how people move on and off the field.

just my 2 cents

and btw...good luck

my gear...http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post56792635
Konflict_Jerid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM #5
Capt.Graffiti
Team Graffiti's Captain

I do agree with all of you I am a Captain of a team myself and I can admit there are times that it is rough. But right now as it stands I have a great crew and we are serious about being competitive and everything we are here in Pensacola, Fl I have kicked quite a few people that didn't want to show up and show the dedication to the team that we needed they all just kinda wanted to goof around and do what they wanted to do but I had to do what I had to do to make it run right. Right now we have a good team running we have a few tournaments under our belt we play speedball. But if you would like more advice just hit me up I will try to help out as much as I can.

Last edited by Capt.Graffiti : 02-17-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Capt.Graffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM #6
bunkerfestpal
It's Biznaz Time

Thanks to all, The a-5 has a WAS board, but the problem is, we have had two pratices where the whole team was there now everyone is starting to not want to go. Ive asked why and its either oh i couldnt go or my gf(only one kid with that one...whipped) But Id hate to drop any of them, they are all pretty good friends. I live in a small town and we are all within 5 in walking. Appreciate everything, Ill see what happens and if i need help, ill pm you guys.

What you resist, you attract

Why does it seem everyone's gun shoots ropes, tits and lasers, I thought this was paintball...
bunkerfestpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 AM #7
Tampa_USF2009
Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerfestpal View Post
Thanks to all, The a-5 has a WAS board, but the problem is, we have had two pratices where the whole team was there now everyone is starting to not want to go. Ive asked why and its either oh i couldnt go or my gf(only one kid with that one...whipped) But Id hate to drop any of them, they are all pretty good friends. I live in a small town and we are all within 5 in walking. Appreciate everything, Ill see what happens and if i need help, ill pm you guys.
Sounds like they aren't cut out for it
Some ppl...mostly kids just get into fads and lose interest as quick as gained

Some ppl just aren't disciplined and can barely keep a job let alone a hobby or sport.

Try 3man. That way you still play. As a team. And. To keep your attitude up high so u don't quit or lose hope. Just cause they would ideally be a great team. Doesn't make it happen. Hopefuly you can meet a couple reallll team worthy players and play some 5man or 7man. Rome wasnt built in one day.
Tampa_USF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 AM #8
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Firstly, stop talking about gear. If you think the gear is important to a starting team you're way off base.

You simply need 5 people who have the money for 'some marker' and to show up to your practices.

Have a meeting with them. ALL of them. Say 'how many practices are you willing to make and how often?'. If you can all agree on a number, great, then hold them to it and if they miss more than a certain number, then drop them.

If you can't agree on a number, they aren't right for a team.

If they miss too many and get dropped, they aren't right for a team.

I know you said basically there are only so many to choose from locally. That means if it doesn't work out, you need to find members from further out.

Have you ever played on a team for say one full year? If not, I'd HIGHLY recommend joining one before I tried to start my own. Find out what is required of a real team before coming up with your own rules.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 PM #9
gametimesoultionz

dnt worry bout ur guns...worry about fundementals

dont worry bout the small ****...worry about gettin your team to practices and establish drills to focus on week area's in the team....build team chemisty and dnt expect it all to *** togethr...but chemistry is what will get u throught the rough times and make it that much more fun when u win....l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerfestpal View Post
OK I just started a 5 man team. Its kind of a mess right now though. I have played for two other teams, but this is the first ive been in charge of. I have 5 players, one with a DM4, an 07 ego, Epiphany and an A-5, but the A-5 will be using the team bakup gun. I had my shocker and PM7 stolen. Im borrowing a PMR and an Ion. My question is, is there anything in particular i should be doing as a captain. I am organizing practices but some of the kids dont ever show up... any thoghts this isnt the only issue, but any help is well help
gametimesoultionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM #10
PaRaBoLa

Support your local paintball field and pro shop. Try to get discounts because the savings will add up. If your teamates dont show up kick em off the team.
PaRaBoLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM #11
roldy1988
ACK

aa
roldy1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM #12
roldy1988
ACK

aaaa
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 PM #13
roldy1988
ACK

hgvfgvhbnm
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM #14
roldy1988
ACK

hknjgygbkj
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM #15
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Set your goals and make sure that everyoen on the team understands the same goals. Start practicing and start looking for a local tournament to play. PLay against teams that are better than you and ask them what they see when playing you. They will be able to tell you what you need to do to improve. Make sure you have a regular practice schedule, say every 2 weeks. Practice things like communication, laning, one on one, 2v2 close outs, and snap shooting.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM #16
Okiestate8

Okiestate8 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
u should kick them off and get some good plays and come with names of the plays
Okiestate8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 PM #17
CrAzY321
Merc Team Six

CrAzY321 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrAzY321 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrAzY321 plays in the APPA beginner division
Whats worked for me when people dont wanna show is just let them know, that if there not serious to stop wasting your time. and try recruiting some new people for the team that are dedicated. If you dont wanna cut people just give there spot away and tell them they are a back up untill they can prove they can get serious about the team. Its a team effort, dont try and but it all on you just cause your the captain. Being a captain can be stressful and annoying sometimes, so good luck man!
CrAzY321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 AM #18
alion94

I started a team myself about 4 months ago to be a competitive tournament team. Honestly as a captain it was the hardest thing to get going and to stay up in running. Even now its hard to keep everyone in check, on time, paying. The first season is always the hardest. What you need to do (like everyone else is saying) establish your goals as a team; IE tournament team, fun tournament team, fun team. After you establish your goals, determine what type of play you want to do (3-man,5-man, 7-man) find the players you need plus a few back ups (i had 4 from the start). The type of players you want to look for are players that have means of transportation, financially stable, and have great personalities. After you find your players, start looking up tournaments in your area and pick tournaments that are convenient for everyone on the team, make sure you have enough time to practice for them also. After you finish up looking for tournaments, look for sponsorships. Send out proposal emails to every paintball company out there including local fields and stores. In that proposal there should be; intro about your team (where there from how many years each player has been playing), what you want from that sponsor (get right to the point, don't ask for free stuff, ask for discounts), What you could do for them (come up with things, basically be a poster child for there company.), What you do for your community to promote the sport of paintball, your take on sportsmanship, tournament schedule, thank them for there time. Be professional and polite, always start with a dear and end with thank you for your time. While sending out sponsorships, set up practices for your team. We have ours every other week on Saturdays so we can practice on our own and drill. We go out some Sundays and scrim. As for the players on the team, i suggest before kicking them off. Hold tryouts or post in your regional forum that your looking for players. If you kick them off now you will be down players. Be smart about keeping your team running, give the team say but you give the final word. If they cant make practices then somethings wrong and you need new players. Hope this helps, if you want to know more just go ahead and send a PM. This post is about how to build your team from the ground up. Just remember, have fun.

Last edited by alion94 : 05-20-2011 at 04:29 AM.
alion94 is offline   Reply With Quote