PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 AM #1
shaner01

shaner01 plays in the PSP
shaner01 plays in the APPA D2 division
Good camcorder to shoot paintball videos?!?

I wanna get into recording/editing paintball videos. I want a camera with good picture quality and that is pretty durable. Looking in the price range of 400- 700. Any recommendations on what kind of camera I should get??
shaner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM #2
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.

The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
Don't bother with most camcorders nowadays. They are all too small, fragile, and dont offer much when it comes to accecories. You will never get decent audio out of them, and even though it may offer full HD, the video will always look severely off in your color balance.

Go with a DSLR, like a canon. Social paintball did a feature on using DSLR's for Video. Ill see if i can pull it up.

I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 PM #3
White-out
Lary Hoover

White-out posts videos on PbNation
White-out supports Pev's Paintball
Picture's are the way to go.
White-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM #4
shaner01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Leech
Don't bother with most camcorders nowadays. They are all too small, fragile, and dont offer much when it comes to accecories. You will never get decent audio out of them, and even though it may offer full HD, the video will always look severely off in your color balance.

Go with a DSLR, like a canon. Social paintball did a feature on using DSLR's for Video. Ill see if i can pull it up.
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 PM #5
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Pick up a t1i, it's a good all-around starter for video or stills.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM #6
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
canon gl2, they can be had for as little as 300, i picked my second one up recently for 225. shooting "HD" only means 1080x1920 pixels of resolution, it doesn't necessarily mean good image quality. the gl2 has a wealth of features, and a fairly decent stereo mic. image control allows you to set your exposure and depth of field, along with white balance. composition and movement is always key to making a good paintball video, the gl2's zoom functions and autofocus will never be surpassed by any digital slr camera. manual focus shifts are much cleaner when done with a camcorder vs a camera. over all you will be happier if you are using a video camera for video, and using a picture camera for pictures.

another good camcorder with in your price range is the sony vx1000, while i only owned one for about a week, they are excellent cameras. i couldn't tell you much about them as i'm not super familiar with them. but you can google search it.
skwirnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 AM #7
RHChan84
You Suck At Life! QUIT!!!

RHChan84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Canon T2i would be great for recording in 1080p and a great started DSLR. Plus there are tons of lens out there for canon DSLR so you can expanded when you feel the need too. I only say t2 over t1 because t1 does not have an external mic jack but if that doesn't mean much to you then t2i. T3i is the same as a t2 but has the swivel screen, not sure if that is important to you.

Whichever you choose, you can still expand on either one of the 3.
RHChan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM #8
shaner01

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! I'll do some research on these after class today. Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM #9
RHChan84
You Suck At Life! QUIT!!!

RHChan84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The new Nikon 5100 is also something worth checking out. It's a bit higher then your budget but for $1000 (I believe) it comes with an external mic as well.

I wouldn't look into the Sony Alpha 33 or 55. I have read overheating very quickly. I think around 10 minutes where as the Canon and Nikon were able to go close to 30 minutes.
RHChan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM #10
contract*killa
MASS Media

contract*killa posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Leech View Post

i really dont know where you are getting your info from...
dslrs have the potential to be just like a professional camcorder without a few things. they lack a decent built in mic (you can actually hear the lens). another thing to think about is, like i said they have the POTENTIAL to be like a pro camcorder. you will have to spend a good amount of money on a lens itself. i guess if you ever want to take nice pictures down the road you can do that too. its pretty hard to focus on a subject because you have to manually focus. (both pro and con depending on how well you can adapt)
pros
  1. big sensors (good for low light)
  2. good depth of field
  3. good for pictures down the road
  4. interchangeable lens
  5. manual focus
  6. great quality
cons
  1. not so great built in mic
  2. lens can get pretty expensive
  3. will be way more expensive in the long run than a regular camcorder
  4. manual focus
i use a canon hf s200 but there are alot of camcorders out there similar to it. camcorders like mine have been around for a while and have years if refined technology over the dslrs. it lacks depth of field control. the built in mic actually isnt bad. the quality is very clear and color isnt a problem. its alot easier to use all around.
pros
  1. camcorders have been refined for years
  2. ease of use
  3. nice built in mic
  4. great quality
  5. cheaper
  6. focuses automatically
cons
  1. no DOF control
  2. you are stuck with the same lens forever
  3. low light conditions can turn out grainy
it really comes down to a few things...
do you want to only shoot paintball videos? do you want to give up a few features to save on money and have an easier time?
(all the above was for a consumer camcorder. prosumer would beat a dslr all day but i was talking about a camcorder in your price range.)
also, go with a canon, they have the best image quality. if you compare a sony and a canon side by side by the camera screen the sony camcorder will win, only because sony is the leader in hd screens/tv's
i know there are alot of points i missed but when i think of them i will edit...

Last edited by contract*killa : 05-06-2011 at 11:08 PM.
contract*killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 PM #11
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
again.. i can't stress enough how much a video camera out does a picture camera when doing videos, the gl2 i recommended is well with in your price range, you do have extremely precise control of depth of field, and you will actually be able to compose shots with it.
skwirnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:32 AM #12
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.

The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by contract*killa View Post
i really dont know where you are getting your info from...
dslrs have the potential to be just like a professional camcorder without a few things. they lack a decent built in mic (you can actually hear the lens). ano
Personal experience. I don't think most camcorders are worth it nowadays from using some of my own. It's not unti you start getting above his price range do they become worth your time.

But I do like the looks of that one Canon HD camera that was listed here. Looks promising and I would personally like to try it out.

I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 AM #13
contract*killa
MASS Media

t2i body alone- $700
http://www.frys.com/product/6225960?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
canon hf s200 w/ 32gb card- $623
http://www.frys.com/product/6267040?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://www.frys.com/product/5896373?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

both prices can vary

the g2l is cool and all but its big, and standard def. the s200 has really nice hd quality. i guess if dof outweighs quality that much then its a alright camera.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 AM #14
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
What you camcorder-pro guys are leaving out is the fact that a t2i with L glass on it will beat the absolute **** out of any comparatively priced camcorder. Depending on your uses maybe getting a 700 dollar camcorder with one lens is fine, but a 700 dollar DSLR with a 600 dollar 70-200 f4L lens will smash it in all respects. You can't call manual focus a con, real videography is almost always done with 100% manual settings. The DSLR is definitely not just best left for still images, I think that's been proven by now. My current project for my compositing class was shot on a mixture between a DSLR and a Red Cam and the differences are hardly noticeable to the human eye. Quality to price ratio of a DSLR(even with lens) to a camcorder is much higher.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 PM #15
contract*killa
MASS Media

im not saying dslrs are bad, but with a 700 dollar budget, why even bring up a 600 dollar lens? he wanted to know what a good camera was for filming paintball videos not cinematic blockbusters.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:13 AM #16
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Why wouldnt you want HD?
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM #17
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Buying a DSLR is not an end all solution. It is incredibly difficult to shoot with at times. Yes, the quality is nice and the price is right. Doesn't mean it's perfect. DoF has become more of an enemy for me than anything. You're going to be shooting an action sport. People are moving constantly and you don't know where they'll end up. Manually focusing for that is a huge pain in the ***.

I have a T2i and I had to go with some cheapo FD lens to fit my budget. Just touching the lens adds vibration and movement to the shot. I am constantly adjusting so there is almost always some disturbance. Don't want that? Get a follow focus set up. Good luck finding one for under $300 that isn't a piece of ****.

Not only are those problems, but they also overheat after extended periods of shooting. It adds a lot of noise to your footage if you don't let your camera cool properly (Not as extreme on the T2i, but still..).

I don't regret buying a DSLR, but let me just say that I plan on moving to a more traditional set up by the end of the summer. Far less difficult to shoot with IMO.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM #18
Bluewolf
ǝıd

has been a member for 10 years
Don't forget that the audio from the internal mic on DSLRs are basically useless (unless you're ok with ****ty quality). Wind will destroy any clean audio that you might get. IMO a separate audio recorder is basically a necessity. Something such as a Zoom H1 would run laps around the internal mic.

I would suggest this if you go the DSLR route...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...SLR_Audio.html