Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM #1
Dabomb314

First tourney tips?

Me and my team are wanting to do our first four man speedball tournament soon. Is there anything we should know about speedball tournaments: tips, common mistakes, strategies, etc.

Much appreciated!
Dabomb314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM #2
WKS01
Green to White Technology

WKS01 is a Supporting Member
WKS01 donated to help Peyton Trent
First Tournament - Read Here
WKS01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 AM #3
SDK-OS

well has ur team even practiced together yet i mean if u havnt u wont survive ur first tourney u gotta no how ta lane hit the snake move up when its appropriate, snapshot ect.....
SDK-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 AM #4
manwee
Explosive Kittens

manwee supports Team VICIOUS
dont sweat it. Just remember to put new batteries into ur loaders and guns and youll be fine. Having a rubbish bag for your gear at the end of everything is good to have. As its your first tournament you dont need to worry about your placing. Just get to the field and do a thorough walk of it and find all the serious lanes to look out for and to shoot. Also watch the other teams play and devise breakouts and game plans to counter them. Hope this helps

"Are they my balls all over your face?"
Karma Police 12 - "OMG IT has the worlds first ever SLPR (super-low pressure lpr) cause its gonna run at negative psi. worlds first ever anti-matter marker."
SquareDorito,"I shoot and it's going right at them, then the wind comes in and is like LOL JK!!"
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face......."
lucasicool is my best friend. I call him Rocky
manwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM #5
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK-OS View Post
well has ur team even practiced together yet i mean if u havnt u wont survive ur first tourney u gotta no how ta lane hit the snake move up when its appropriate, snapshot ect.....
lol. I don't even know what else to say to this.

Read the first link, and like the above poster said put brand new batteries in everything and make sure your **** is working without trouble.

Don't expect to win, it's a bonus for your 1st tourney. Try to play well and winning will eventually come.

I'm assuming that it's a low division as it's your first tourney.
In low divisions players tend to make easy to punish mistakes, here's a few.

They don't shoot opposing players in when trying to fill a spot someone died from. Generally home filling a corner.
You should: Shoot out the corner, wait a minute(till the player fills), set the same lane, easy double kill, 1 away from your uva.

They don't play their bunkers tight or with the right form. You have a few options because of this.

You can drop shoot them. Drop shooting is basically lining up your shots so the balls will drop on them, probably their head or hopper. You don't have to see someone to kill them, you just have to know where they are at. This is easiest to do from opposite corners or home to a corner.

Easy pack shots are easy. Some players will play snake but be too far out from the inside between brick and the beam, leaving their pack kind of exposed on the tape side. If you're playing snake corner or snake you can get low and come out a bit to put a few shots on their pack.

Same works with dorito's but it's a much more common mistake in snake side.

Many beginner snake players don't shoot at the beginning of the snake and only play the brick instead of mixing up spots along the beam. As a result they only shoot at the brick. Back up a bit and shoot them, mix it up. You can even slide into snake, don't crawl if their are shots near the brick, come up and shoot the player shooting at the brick.

Watch for shadows and where the refs are looking. These can give away positions that you don't know are there.

Your gun is more of a swiss army knife tool. It can be used for things besides getting kills. You can shoot in gaps/zones on the field to prevent players from reaching a bunker or make them second guess about moving up.

If you are playing 4 man, try not to get into gun fights. Obviously you will, but you don't want them dragging on too long. Shoot them in and move to somewhere more effective. You can win gun fights but there's a good chance you can die fighting someone of equal or greater skill. Changing spots and using angles is much easier and efficient.

Your results should give you a decent indicator of how you are doing. If you place top 10, you're on the right track. If you place pretty low or last you have more to learn/practice.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM #6
4loc

pro tip

xp ref hb 11'

constantly move/barrel 2 eyes/gun up, clear listing, cut the chatter, watch the dead box/bodies, be rdy , be animals be an get pumped; this is a adrenaline driven sport not a drag in the sun lolly-gag-gin rich kid **** haha

leave you with

dnt ****ing CHEAT ill get you !
and you'l fackIN pay!
an thats just a fact
4loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM #7
Electricity2.0
D.A.S. Techbot

Electricity2.0 is a Supporting Member
Don't do drugs.

Mmmmk.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 AM #8
manwee
Explosive Kittens

manwee supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4loc View Post
pro tip

xp ref hb 11'

constantly move/barrel 2 eyes/gun up, clear listing, cut the chatter, watch the dead box/bodies, be rdy , be animals be an get pumped; this is a adrenaline driven sport not a drag in the sun lolly-gag-gin rich kid **** haha

leave you with

and you'l fackIN pay!
an thats just a fact
yes cause refs catch everything and we dont want to talk to each other that would be bad. wtf are you on?

"Are they my balls all over your face?"
Karma Police 12 - "OMG IT has the worlds first ever SLPR (super-low pressure lpr) cause its gonna run at negative psi. worlds first ever anti-matter marker."
SquareDorito,"I shoot and it's going right at them, then the wind comes in and is like LOL JK!!"
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face......."
lucasicool is my best friend. I call him Rocky
manwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM #9
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKS01 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK-OS View Post
Quote:
pro tip

xp ref hb 11'

leave you with

and you'l fackIN pay!
an thats just a fact
This forum needs an english language requirement.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM #10
ATLballaz (Banned)

ATLballaz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ATLballaz supports Sherwood Forest
ATLballaz plays in the APPA D4 division
ATLballaz is Legendary
Shoot them before they shoot you,Works for me.
ATLballaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM #11
MiniMaster423
Proud Luxe 2.0 Owner

Annual Supporting Member
MiniMaster423 plays in the PSP
MiniMaster423 plays in the APPA D5 division
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
pro tip

xp ref hb 11'

leave you with

and you'l fackIN pay!
an thats just a fact
dont listen to the cut the chatter part of this you want to communicate well
MiniMaster423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 PM #12
fps_frank
just chill people

fps_frank owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fps_frank posts videos on PbNation
fps_frank is an NCPA player
fps_frank plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
lol. I don't even know what else to say to this.

Read the first link, and like the above poster said put brand new batteries in everything and make sure your **** is working without trouble.

Your results should give you a decent indicator of how you are doing. If you place top 10, you're on the right track. If you place pretty low or last you have more to learn/practice.
All of that. Great first tournament advice.

Russian Legion fan #1208
fps_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 PM #13
Timmydevil

Timmydevil plays in the PSP
Timmydevil plays in the APPA D1 division
One common mistake...

People tend to tear down there markers and "clean and lube them" this is fine at an event where tech's are present or if you yourself are an expert... If not leave your gun alone, dont mess with it, if worked when you last used it, it should be fine. I've seen lots of people try and clean there markers and are then unable to get them working again.

But, do change all of your batterys. And bring tape and a bennie, you never know when it will rain... I cant even count the number of times rain showed up unexpect on a tourny weekend. And then vanished as quick as it came.

And if its hot where you are:
keep your paint out of the sun. And dont pod up until a few min's before your about to play.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 PM #14
cngpballer
Not failure, Epic Failure

cngpballer supports Team VICIOUS
cngpballer supports Sherwood Forest
cngpballer posts videos on PbNation
cngpballer supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post

This forum needs an english language requirement.
You beat me to it.
Need EKK gear? I got it! Pm me for details
F/S/T Grills. Bring me flex's or profits.
cngpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM #15
Ctop10
Spray and Pray

Ctop10 is playing at Living Legends VII
Ctop10 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Ctop10 is an NCPA player
Ctop10 plays in the APPA D4 division
Yes you must play well. Besides playing the most important thing is keeping your composure. CHILL OUT BRO. Also its a good idea to be well rested.