Community Focus

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM #1
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Non-NHL Hockey Discussion Thread

Im sure there are people here that actually play Ice/Roller hockey, but there isnt a thread for it in the sports section.

When i was younger i played street/roller hockey, but never in an actual league or anything. I havnt played a lick of hockey since i was like 14, and im 24 now. Theyre building an ice hockey complex about 15 minutes from me so im pretty excited to start playing again.

So what are some "noob" things that i should avoid? I dont want to go out there looking like "that guy". I know the general notion in pretty much anything is to not go out and buy the best of everything when you cant use it to its potential, but then i dont want to skimp on being safe, or at least safe enough that i can still work the next day.

When the complex opens i plan on taking a beginner hockey training course just so i kinda know what im doing out there. I already know how to do a few things like ice skate, basic stick handling. i know the basic positions/rules of the game and whatnot.

So yeah, any advice, tips, or just anything that wont make me look like an Ovechkin wannabe out there? Also, just discuss whatever hockey related.

tl;dr Im gonna start playing ice hockey so give me tips, or just talk about whatever hockey related.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM #2
Lou Dogg
Prepare to die

Lou Dogg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Get more than one stick. Yours will break eventually, you don't want it to happen midgame.

Big_Dangerous: "Has anyone here ever let a chick **** them with a strapon?"
Lou Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM #3
demonic_dimebag v2
I'm back, *****es.

NO TINTED VISORS. I repeat, NO TINTED VISORS.

Just don't do it.

Black or white stick tape, no colors.

Don't make your tongues flop like Ovechkin or Pronger, lace your skates right.

All I can think of right now.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM #4
MutR.
Shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic_dimebag v2 View Post

Just don't do it.

i assume yellow laces and #8 are also a no-no?

What should i know about playing walk on games? Should i play league for a while before i try to get into some walk on games or are they usually beginner friendly?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM #5
demonic_dimebag v2
I'm back, *****es.

Number 8's fine. There's been a ton of players to wear that number. Going with 66, 87, 99 or something like that is a no, though.

I'd say play a league for a bit first, walk on games generally have a pretty wide range of skill. There will probably be some players on your level, but there's often a bunch of jackasses who come to these games and play against people worse than them, I guess it makes them feel good about themselves.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM #6
paintballer5645

paintballer5645 plays in the PSP
Just go out and have fun. Pick up games usually have a huge range of players as demonic said. If you're not a jackass at pick up games everyone will be cool to you. Hockey is a blast, I've been playing competitively for 14 years now
paintballer5645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM #7
Zlatan is Superfly (Banned)

I don't mean to side track, but if you really want to get better input/output in this kind of area, I'd recommend modsquadhockey. **** HFBoards.

But, I've played my whole life, triple AAA etc whatever. Going to start coaching this August when the Coaching level I classes start. Can't wait to get a team of little ikes and win some championships and **** some rink bunny moms to get their bender son's playing time.

But, HA! Yellow laces are ONLY acceptable on Graf's. I have Graf 704's and to this day rock yellow laces on em. And no tinted visors. The only players that I've played with/against that have tints are benders. They can't skate for **** and always wanna be some sick guy. Bad choice.

Drop in is a great place to start. However, sometimes it's just a bad night. Last Thursday I played in a drop in that was the biggest anti-beginner night of all time. We had CCHA, OHL and other Triple AAA guys there. We had one beginner and he hated it. It was a clinic.

Really, we love to have the beginner's mostly at the drop ins as long as you don't act stupid. I pass to them and try to get them involved and when they're skating against me I give them a little room and try my best to let them actually try some stick handling, etc. Just don't act stupid and skate hard. If anyone says anything or acts stupid, just punch them in the face or talk to a few guys who you think are being nice to you. Generally the douche is an outcast that should get yelled at. But to get started, go to a drop in and find some people that are your skill level and befriend them. Try to get on a league with them and start from there.
Zlatan is Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 PM #8
MutR.
Shut up.

Sweet thanks for the info! So how exactly do these drop ins work? I also play basketball and we shoot for teams. First 5 to make a free throw are on a team, etc...

Ive heard that you should bring both a light and a dark jersey with you. not sure how all this works. What happens when everyone shows up except a goalie? Im sure not everyone owns a set of goalie pads. Should i bring a puck?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM #9

Black and white are generally how the teams divided. You can bring any color really and the teams will get divided as evenly as they can. Normally, it's just pick a jersey and go play. Some drop ins have refs..haven't been to one but whatever.

No goalie? Play with the post. Hitting the post = a goal. And nah, the rink provides a puck but if you want to bring one to warm up with before the game starts that's fine. Just make sure no one else jacks it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM #10
MutR.
Shut up.

Thanks! haha sorry if im asking dumb questions. i just dont want to be there and have no idea whats going on.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM #11
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You won't get hurt because of your gear. No one in drop in puck shoots hard enough, and as long as theres like any type of material covering your knees and elbows you'll be fine. Sign up for old man beer league and have some fun. Half those guys can't skate for **** anyways.
Paintnoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM #12
MutR.
Shut up.

the getting hurt part wasnt for drop ins. it was for league. if i play league i plan on playing in a league that allows contact

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM #13

There will be a douche bag who does take high slap shots at drop in here and there. Tell them to keep their shots down. I talked to one guy and he simply didn't get it. We only had 1 goalie that night and he took ****ing clappers on an open net. I had enough when he winded up 4 feet infront of me..I threw my stick at the puck and he got the point from there on..

You don't have to be that drastic though.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM #14
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
the getting hurt part wasnt for drop ins. it was for league. if i play league i plan on playing in a league that allows contact
Nobody you play against will hit hard enough to hurt you, guaranteed.
Paintnoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM #15
demonic_dimebag v2
I'm back, *****es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatan is Superfly View Post
There will be a douche bag who does take high slap shots at drop in here and there. Tell them to keep their shots down. I talked to one guy and he simply didn't get it. We only had 1 goalie that night and he took ****ing clappers on an open net. I had enough when he winded up 4 feet infront of me..I threw my stick at the puck and he got the point from there on..

You don't have to be that drastic though.
Gotta love those gym class heroes. Just calmly remind them that there are no scouts there and they don't need to be ripping slappers with all their strength.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM #16

I could understand if you actually can keep it down and there's a goalie to create a rebound..but..it was a 1v1 on an open net..lmao
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM #17
MutR.
Shut up.

another stupid question.

Im left handed, and i play baseball and basketball left handed, but i play golf right handed for some reason. Should i buy a left or right handed stick? also should a lefty play left wing and a righty play right wing, or does it not matter?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM #18
esteban mendez
OG status

I would guess get a righty due to the golf fact but at the store try to stick handle with each and see which is more natural. The wing position won't be that big of a deal at this point
esteban mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM #19
dyepntmaster

dyepntmaster plays in the PSP
dyepntmaster helped look for balloons
dyepntmaster plays in the APPA D5 division
Well ****tt, Ive been playing hockey my whole life. Last season i played Junior B with the Chicago Hitmen GLJHL, we won our leauge then **** the bed at nattys. This season im signing a contract in a little bit to play with the Wisconsin Dells Jr. Ducks, Junior A MnJHL

hitmen uni's were ****ing sickkk
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic_dimebag v2 View Post

Just don't do it.

nahhhh flop is sick. I dont personally rock the flop but it wont make you look stupid like a tinted visor/gay tape color.
dyepntmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM #20
esteban mendez
OG status

i c u liek tacks
esteban mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM #21
dyepntmaster

dyepntmaster plays in the PSP
dyepntmaster helped look for balloons
dyepntmaster plays in the APPA D5 division
not really. just too cheap to buy new skates.
dyepntmaster is online now   Reply With Quote