PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM #64
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
I was reffing dorito corner that day, and didn't see or hear any indication of a timeout trying to be called until under the 10sec call.
However, I was on the other side of the field, so I may not have been able to see you walk over to to the reffing station before the 10seconds
venice empire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM #65
straptrams91
PRESIDENT

Annual Supporting Member
straptrams91 plays in the PSP
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends V
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends VI
straptrams91 supports Team VICIOUS
straptrams91 is an NCPA player
straptrams91 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice empire77 View Post
I was reffing dorito corner that day, and didn't see or hear any indication of a timeout trying to be called until under the 10sec call.
However, I was on the other side of the field, so I may not have been able to see you walk over to to the reffing station before the 10seconds
i was on the field getting air 10 feet away from the ref tent. i wasn't yelling at him for the time out till i knew he wasnt going to add time to the clock. but i told the kid multiple times to call it, he looked at me each time, and just ignored me.
straptrams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM #66
nmmadsen

nmmadsen is an NCPA player
nmmadsen plays in the APPA D5 division
Definitely saw some bad calls but that's going to happen everywhere. Never had a tournament go 100% perfect calls. Some cost us some matches but whatever. Was bummed when there was only spectator coaching from the D's.. went a total 180 from what was done during the regular season, kinda threw me but it was a great day of ballin' regardless.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 AM #67
aspazatak

aspazatak is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
The jersey thing was a rule clarification on on Saturday that any jersey that had padding on it could not have a layer underneath the padding. So if it had padded shoulders and arm you could wear a tank top or sleeveless shirt underneath, if it had chest padding you couldn't have anything underneath.

With unobvious hits (top of loader or pack) the rule of thumb I ref by is that if I'm watching you and I see it hit I immediately come and pull you without penalty because the amount of time you stay in the game is based on how quickly I can do my job. If I turn and look at you and you have a hit on you it's a minor because I don't know how long you had it and what effect you had on the game. This is only for unobvious hits, obvious hits are majors if you continue to play always.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM #68
govols18
D-Marb

govols18 plays in the PSP
govols18 is an NCPA player
govols18 is an NCPA National Champion
govols18 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspazatak View Post
The jersey thing was a rule clarification on on Saturday that any jersey that had padding on it could not have a layer underneath the padding. So if it had padded shoulders and arm you could wear a tank top or sleeveless shirt underneath, if it had chest padding you couldn't have anything underneath.

With unobvious hits (top of loader or pack) the rule of thumb I ref by is that if I'm watching you and I see it hit I immediately come and pull you without penalty because the amount of time you stay in the game is based on how quickly I can do my job. If I turn and look at you and you have a hit on you it's a minor because I don't know how long you had it and what effect you had on the game. This is only for unobvious hits, obvious hits are majors if you continue to play always.
Great reffing this weekend from you, we could tell you knew your stuff
Tennessee Volunteers #18

2010-2011 Class A National Champions

Troopers
govols18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 AM #69
PhoenixLancer
School,Work,Pball..Repeat

PhoenixLancer plays in the PSP
PhoenixLancer supports Team VICIOUS
PhoenixLancer is for the Gunfight
PhoenixLancer plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:

Amen my brotha! This is how every ref should do their job. Shane and I had our side locked down...
EKK ELITE
PhoenixLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM #70
aspazatak

Quote:
Originally Posted by govols18 View Post
Great reffing this weekend from you, we could tell you knew your stuff
Thanks, it was fun watching you guys play.

I still make mistakes, all you can do is learn from it and not make it again. If a player asks I will explain what I saw and why I made my call. I can only call what I see from my perspective, I can't tell you how many times a coach or player has argued a call for something I had no ability to see from my position. It's all part of the game, I don't take things personally, nor should the players.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM #71
blackdwarf12
<716>

Quote:

THIS.

Wish i coulda been at nationals with you guys but i'l be seeing you in Chicago

IthacaField6 NYPL '10
BataviaSMOKE '11
Anthrax
blackdwarf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 PM #72
theyamthief

theyamthief plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman453 View Post
Refs on field 2 were great on saturday. Sunday, however, was a different story. They weren't awful, but they weren't as good as they were on saturday.
One of our player's got called out off the break and you see in the video footage the ref run and throw a flag from like 15 feet away. At the end of the game, our player asked out of curiosity where he was hit seeing as how it resulted in a minor. The ref said "On your pack", checked it.. nothing. He goes "Uh, well, I swear it was there.. I wouldn't pull you on nothing.." Whoops
theyamthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 AM #73
aspazatak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdwarf12 View Post
THIS.

Wish i coulda been at nationals with you guys but i'l be seeing you in Chicago
Looking forward to it. Get to eat at Rax again..
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM #74
flaboy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxcrazymanxX View Post
reffs suck in general (meaning not this tournament but every one known to man). I just shoot anything that moves on the field, even when they come up to check me (who knows, that reff might have been paid to break a paintball on me so I let him know whose boss before they get a chance)

Really man???? a reff geting paid to break a paintball on you???? thats one of the dumbest things i have ever heard someone say about a reff. we get paid to reff...not run around with paint in our pockets and break them on random players....i make it a point not to know ANY teams names or players names for THIS EXACT REASON!!!! soo that players cannot say, "we lost because you dont like us or our team" I dont know you or any other player/team that plays on the field that i reff on. people ask me all the time who's on the field. i tell them i dont know what team it is or who is playing next, because to me it doesnt matter 1 bit. i dont care if your team is number 1 or number 500 i reff every game the best that I can. I have been reffing since 2006 for PSP.

i registered on pb nation, which i had no intension of ever doing, just to respond to your ignorant post...it is soo ridiculous that you would think that a reff would break a paintball on you just to get you out. you must be a "special" player
flaboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM #75
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyamthief View Post
One of our player's got called out off the break and you see in the video footage the ref run and throw a flag from like 15 feet away. At the end of the game, our player asked out of curiosity where he was hit seeing as how it resulted in a minor. The ref said "On your pack", checked it.. nothing. He goes "Uh, well, I swear it was there.. I wouldn't pull you on nothing.." Whoops
Paint can hit you - especially places like corners of your pack or mask - break, and not leave much or any of a mark. If the ref sees it break, it's still an elimination.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 PM #76
Trix
RIP DALE #3

Trix supports our troops
Trix is an NCPA player
Trix supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Paint can hit you - especially places like corners of your pack or mask - break, and not leave much or any of a mark. If the ref sees it break, it's still an elimination.

- Chris
That being said, a ref all the way across the field shouldn't be the one making that call in my opinion. From that perspective paint breaking in mid air or on the bunker can often times appear to be a hit. If anything, it should only be the ref in the immediate vicinity of the player who makes that judgment call.
Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM #77
theyamthief

theyamthief plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trix View Post
That being said, a ref all the way across the field shouldn't be the one making that call in my opinion. From that perspective paint breaking in mid air or on the bunker can often times appear to be a hit. If anything, it should only be the ref in the immediate vicinity of the player who makes that judgment call.
Exactly, we were all just as close as him behind the net. We all saw nothing. Not like it impacted the game much.. just frustrating.
theyamthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM #78
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Refs should call hits they see. Refs should also know when spray they see may not be from a hit.

Obviously, there is lots of things the refs should do, and inevitably as humans there are going to be some things they do not do in an ideal manner.

Overall, I thought the reffing for this event was good.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM #79
Left Foot First
and the Right will follow

Left Foot First is an NCPA player
Left Foot First plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Thanks, it was fun watching you guys play.

I still make mistakes, all you can do is learn from it and not make it again. If a player asks I will explain what I saw and why I made my call. I can only call what I see from my perspective, I can't tell you how many times a coach or player has argued a call for something I had no ability to see from my position. It's all part of the game, I don't take things personally, nor should the players.
Truth, much appreciated!

Gloss Red MacDev Droid
Left Foot First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM #80
words

Refs,
Was there a specific player or team you most enjoyed reffing?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM #81
aspazatak

Most refs will tell you that they don't pay any attention to what team or player is on the field. This is true with me as well. I remember good moves made by players, but couldn't tell you what team or player it was most of the time. I have been doing this long enough that I have become friends with a lot of players, and they try to talk me out of calls all the time. They know I won't change my mind and won't hesitate to penalize them since it's my job, and we have fun talking about it for a few days later on facebook and PBN.

For the NCPA events I always enjoy watching Liberty University because they play with a lot of heart and are always respectful. The finals game with Long Beach and UT was probably the best finals I have reffed in years. Wish it would have went to an overtime point and not been decided by a penalty, but from what I saw at my end of the field the ref at the far end made the right call.

Last edited by aspazatak : 04-25-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Because I don't proofread..:)
aspazatak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM #82
ChiTownBaller716
U.S. Army | WMU

ChiTownBaller716 plays in the PSP
ChiTownBaller716 posts videos on PbNation
ChiTownBaller716 is an NCPA player
ChiTownBaller716 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticuss187 View Post
this happened ALLLLLLLLLLL DAY. The only guy who made calls was the head ref on field three on Saturday. The guy with the long gray pony tail is by the the best head ref I've ever seen. He was great last year and great this year as well
I like to call him 'Predator Ref' I see him everywhere, NCPA, PSP, he does a phenomenal job
|Trade My Gun|
ChiTownBaller716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 AM #83
gbk2
ubpaintball.com

gbk2 plays in the PSP
gbk2 is an NCPA National Champion
Quote:
What if said ref has phenomenal vision? Or like, has corrected vision and can still tell you're hit from 30 feet away? Often times on the break the guy making the call will come from the other side of the field, because he can see the inside of the runner and the close ref cant. It's just how the reffing game works. It sucks to get shot, I know, but you cant say the ref shouldn't pull you cause he's just not close enough. On the other hand, a ref needs to really pay attention and be sure he gets it right, because you're right, he is farther away.
WELLSVILLE FSU CREW#5
gbk2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM #84
Trix
RIP DALE #3

Trix supports our troops
Trix is an NCPA player
Trix supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbk2 View Post
What if said ref has phenomenal vision? Or like, has corrected vision and can still tell you're hit from 30 feet away? Often times on the break the guy making the call will come from the other side of the field, because he can see the inside of the runner and the close ref cant. It's just how the reffing game works. It sucks to get shot, I know, but you cant say the ref shouldn't pull you cause he's just not close enough. On the other hand, a ref needs to really pay attention and be sure he gets it right, because you're right, he is farther away.
In the specific case I am referring to, our player was in the brick before the snake and the ref was at about the 50 dorito. I'm not sure what the exact distance would be, but that's pretty far to make such a tenuous call. He even told the ref nearest our player to check him, which he did finding nothing on him. Then the ref who made the initial call ran across the field and pulled our player anyways. It was a game changing call and I don't think it was right to make.

Edit: further, it didn't happen off the break which would be a little more understandable. He was in a bunker, perhaps shot the bunker which can often times look like a hit.

Overall, the reffing was better this tournament but could still use a decent amount of improvement.

Last edited by Trix : 04-26-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Trix is offline   Reply With Quote