Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM #1
Ace63028

Is there a size limit?

To clarify what i mean by that title, is do you think there is a size limit to be succesful at paintball. I am just getting back into the swing of things after many years off, I am 6' 285. I love the sport of paintball, primarily have been a woodsball player but have really had an interest in learning all elemenets of speedball. However I just feel that i may be to "big" or to old "28" to just be getting the itch to get a team together a play a few beginner tournys. Paintball is mostly a younger sport, especially on the speedball side of it and that is a very good thing. I guess I just need to get a 3 man together and hit the fields.
Ace63028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM #2
Public Enema
2k8er...playing since '95

Public Enema plays in the PSP
Public Enema owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Public Enema plays in the APPA D5 division
I would say that (in general) there is no 'size limit' to being successful. Now, if someone so morbidly obese that paramedics have to push him to the 50 on a gurney, you might want to change hobbies. For example, look at guys like Bob Long...not exactly built like a marathon runner, but a successful paintball player. In paintball (as in most sports) better shape tends to help, but being 6 ft.-plus and/or 285 lbs. doesn't mean you can't be a good baller. One of the best teammates with whom I've played is about 5'9" and is probably ~275 lbs.

On a side note, I'm 30 (so if 28 is old, I must be like the Cryptkeeper ) but I play snake and usually get there before the 16 year old kids, so age isn't necessarily a hindrance either.

Just get out there and have fun playing with your boys, and if anyone derides you for being tall/old/fat/slow/whatever, just gog them from across the field.

Originally Posted by f-unit "...that has to be one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard you say lol and I witnessed many things cumming from your mouth."

Ebay feedback 69/0/0 Username: ninjasaresweetx
SEMPER PARATUS
Public Enema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM #3
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
You probably won't be playing the snake, but you're definitely able to compete as long as you make good use of each layout. Some of the best back players I have ever played with are bigger than you and they still made short work of small, fast teenagers.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM #4
Ace63028

Yeah I dont see myself as much of a snake player lol, Back player that will lay paint in the alleys and move to mid if needed. I just need to get out and play some speedball, maybe no worries and be just fine out there. I think i just bought a good starter gun for speedball and for decent price also, so that helps. Brand new invert mini and brand new carbon fiber ninja tank for 350. Did i get ripped? from what i have read, I do my research lol, I dont think i did. Cant wait till spring.
Ace63028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM #5
Apollo918
Proud 'Fossil' Owner

Apollo918 plays in the PSP
Apollo918 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Apollo918 supports Team VICIOUS
Apollo918 plays in the APPA D4 division
Plus with PSP changing layouts and field to accommodate bigger players, you will be able to play for sure.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM #6
Ironboss

Ironboss supports Cereal Killerz 2
Ironboss owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Yeah I played a 3-man tourney with 40+ year old dudes and we did better than you'd think!
Ironboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM #7
Nuked
Evol Genius

Nuked is playing at Living Legends V
Nuked posts videos on PbNation
Nuked supports Pev's Paintball
Nuked has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Nuked is attending Decay of Nations VII
I wouldn't worry so much about it. Big or not, Old or Young... I've ran with some 30-40 yr olds, and some guys that look like tanks coming down the turf/field. Just make sure you can hold your own behind that gun of yours and you should be fine.
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM #8
Jbarbs17
I AM THE STIG

Jbarbs17 plays in the PSP
Jbarbs17 is an NCPA player
Jbarbs17 plays in the APPA D4 division
Yeah in the case size doesnt matter. I am a bigger guy as well and i dont really have any trouble playing against the smaller faster kids. As well for the age, the guy coaching my college team is 40+ with two bad knees and he still plays with our team.

Vamp G6R for Sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post84118585

WTB Bob Long Body and Frame
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post83675009
Jbarbs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 PM #9
roach842011
Roach842011

Id say that as long as youre makin it work, then who cares how big ya are. I mean as long as you can up your speed in order to make up for maybe being a bigger "target".
roach842011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 PM #10
jangalang37

Annual Supporting Member
jangalang37 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jangalang37 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jangalang37 supports Team VICIOUS
jangalang37 posts videos on PbNation
jangalang37 supports Pev's Paintball
jangalang37 plays in the APPA D4 division
jangalang37 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
thats a good deal for the mini. but just a heads up, when its cold outside expect that mini to chop a bit. I sold mine and bought an ego because in the winter months like now... its cold and that transfer tube doesnt work that great. If its warm where you live then it works wonderful pretty accurate and fun to play with. Just don't use it when its cold out lol.

Proudly sponsored by:
Field of Dreams 317-605-5159, GI SPORTZ, PBLyfe Jerseys, PLANET ECLIPSE

-There was like NO WAY!
jangalang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 AM #11
Apostlepyris

Apostlepyris owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I don't think your ever to old to play paintball, that being said you have to realize that as your body ages it takes a little more time to recover from all those bumps and bruises and pounding it takes while playing. I'm 6' 275'ish and 37 years old, I can still mix it up with the young guys, but I realize my limitations and work with what I know I can do on the field.

I'd suggest getting a good pair of knee pads for sliding and work on building up your cardio, your only 28, not that old to be honest, so you've got many years of playing ahead of you, enjoy them!
Apostlepyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 AM #12
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Look at it this way... Today, I played paintball with a guy who has Cerebral Palsy. His speech is impaired and he can't walk. He starts the game on his knees and ends the game on his knees, always playing home. When the game starts, he lanes, most often gets a g off the break, and then uses one hand to hop up tighter to home. But he still plays and really, he rips people up. There isn't a size limit on speedball. You've just gotta take what you can, use it all, and ram it back down the other team's throats... (but nicely. This is a non-violent sport...)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM #13
Nitestalker

I'm 6'4" 250ish and play back/mid normally. But sometimes if the oppurtunity presents itself i will run down the field, bunker a guy, then shoot out the snake corner for the W (did it just yesterday). I also have a friend who is about 5'5" 300+ and he's been known to walk right down the field and the other team not even notice him. There is no size limit! Now generally smaller quicker players do have a bit of an advantage. but sometimes that makes them overconfident and they get careless and us bigger guys take advantage of it. If you love to play get out there and play never let anyone tell you that you are too old/tall/fat/or slow.
Sponsored by: HPS, Empire Paintball, My wallet
Nitestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM #14
Digital Bear

Digital Bear owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Digital Bear supports Team VICIOUS
This is good to hear

I am glad I am reading this, it has been somewhat on my mid for a bit now.
My buddy and i have gotten back into paintball with the original idea that we would do some rec ballin' and some woods.
Now though i have the itch, I am ready to play tournaments.

I am 6' 5" and 280 I am also 30yrs old. I know I have to play a little more cautiously than some, but I am also a lot faster than I look.

I look at guys like Rich Telford for team XSV. That dide is 200+ and 6'2" and he has to be at least 33 or so and he is running a Pro team.

Now I just have to find a team to join.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 AM #15
Aviator89

Aviator89 plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace63028 View Post
Yeah I dont see myself as much of a snake player lol, Back player that will lay paint in the alleys and move to mid if needed. I just need to get out and play some speedball, maybe no worries and be just fine out there. I think i just bought a good starter gun for speedball and for decent price also, so that helps. Brand new invert mini and brand new carbon fiber ninja tank for 350. Did i get ripped? from what i have read, I do my research lol, I dont think i did. Cant wait till spring.
no definitly not a rip off, for sure, my used mini was 180, brand new tank 150 so, urs was 20 $ more but the gun was brand knew, not bad at all.

WTB Marq 6/7/vice rubber grips with window for Virtue OLED boards.
Aviator89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM #16
Jhosgood
Joe

Jhosgood supports Team VICIOUS
Back When *2005* me and my dad used to play hes about 5'11 and weighed prob 275, he played mid like it was going out of style. now at the ago of forty hes more into offroad so i have now acquired all of his old guns and gear. im 6'1 215 and even though im a little bigger i can still play mid/front pretty tight.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM #17
Rcracer5623
Ironman23

I don't think size matters at all im 6-1 and 200lbs and im sure everyones heard the term bigger is better haa
Rcracer5623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM #18
.Outlaw.
Dustin Powell

.Outlaw. owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
.Outlaw. plays in the APPA D4 division
.Outlaw. is Legendary
.Outlaw. is Boss
On my team, 3 of our 5 players are 30+. We just finished 3rd in our first tournament. I'm 19 and I handle snake and the other player (around same age as me) handles dorito side.

"Originally posted by dehr: anything i post Chis Hansen is probably recording"

SOFT GOODS SALE
.Outlaw. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM #19
squalledout338
pump>semi=20bps<1bp s

squalledout338 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
squalledout338 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i'm only 22, but am 6'1 and pushing 300lbs. i'm not fat by anymeans, but my shoulders are huge, and my legs are tree trunks in them selves you know(which actually helps me cuz i'm relatively fast for my size)? i play pump only and frankly can't stand to be in the back. i'm a mid player and will dive into snake when i have to(which is funny as hell to see considering i'm a bigger built guy. and somehow it works) i make plays and can hold my own in a gunfight. my size has never hindered me. the day i have to stop moving and start playing back, is the day i quit(speedball atleast). I like to be in peoples faces on the field.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2916672<------ new pump for sale
squalledout338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 AM #20
Deximate
barracuda illuminati

Deximate is BST Trusted
Deximate supports Cereal Killerz 2
Deximate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Deximate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Deximate supports Team VICIOUS
think you feel out of place? try being the only female AND and the only one over 30 on your speedball team... with everyone else a foot taller and a decade younger... some days i get so frustrated that I don't still live in a seventeen year old body, when sprinting, diving, kneeling, crouching, etc. wasn't even a second thought. (the thought being, "ow! I can't do this - - what the hell happened!?") It's hard enough to be the only female -- you get used to the crap from jerks on other teams (that can pretty much just be ignored) -- but knowing that you're being held to another standard by every single person watching... well, sometimes I have a crap day and do a lousy job defending my gender against the people out there just waiting for me to do something dumb or whatever, so they can feel justified when they assert the supposition that women *always* make for lousy paintballers.

facebook - Lucy Dale Allen
Deximate is offline   Reply With Quote