Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:52 AM #22
hotshot44
Navy Paintball

hotshot44 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hotshot44 supports Team VICIOUS
hotshot44 is an NCPA player
hotshot44 plays in the APPA D5 division
lol, if the rules are too vague, then you probably should not be playing in National COLLEG(E)IATE Paintball Association.

HUGE Gun Sale(Victories, Clones, and a DM10!) F/S/T

I have Clones and VX's for sale, every color. PM me!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 AM #23
jdlarson11

Maybe they should prescreen the eligibility of the players prior to the event.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 AM #24
hotshot44
Navy Paintball

hotshot44 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hotshot44 supports Team VICIOUS
hotshot44 is an NCPA player
hotshot44 plays in the APPA D5 division
maybe Chris Raehl doesn't need any more work than he already does... I'm sorry but if you do not know 100% if you are a full time student or not, then YOU personally can ask/e-mail Chris and I'm sure he could clarify that for you. I'm not sure any other of the 60 or so schools there had a problem with the interpretation of the rule...

HUGE Gun Sale(Victories, Clones, and a DM10!) F/S/T

I have Clones and VX's for sale, every color. PM me!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 AM #25
miragedesaint

miragedesaint is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
miragedesaint plays in the PSP
miragedesaint supports our troops
They're busy enough as it is before an event. It's the responsibility of the players and team to make sure they're full time otherwise they should know they can't play. As if it isn't posted in the rulebook which is available online, not to mention the other places on the NCPA site that also say something about it. http://ncpapaintball.org/college/class-aa-events/

Last sentence reads "It is the team’s responsibility to certain that all players are eligible."

My Feedback
Paintballer187.com
Orlando PB World
Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 AM #26
laxitout
Fear the Turtle

laxitout is an NCPA player
laxitout plays in the APPA D5 division
I hope that kid is not considering becoming an attorney...
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 AM #27
afnav2011

afnav2011 is playing at Living Legends III
afnav2011 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
afnav2011 is an NCPA player
afnav2011 plays in the APPA D5 division
USF not being able to play is their own fault. Their captain (at a minimum) should have read the rule book before playing the season/their first event and had any issues/questions sorted out with Chris. As it was pointed out, the rule was very clear about being full-time.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 AM #28
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
We have a player who received permission by following the correct steps to be granted edibility to play this semester.

Team captains need to have all this information checked out. We do a lot of prep work before these events as a team. We try to make the registration as smooth as possible for ourselves. Part of my job as the captain is to find our players, check their status, transcripts, and hour requirements.

I've read both sides of the story, and bottom line is you need to be a full-time student or have been granted permission by the NCPA (Chris or Joe).
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM #29
-Ozzy-
#77 Orbital Chaos

Anyone who is or has been a college student knows exactly what it is to be a full time or part time student at their school. As far as I know it's the same for every school (i'm sure you could find an exception somewhere).
Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 AM #30
ub_ryland

ub_ryland owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ub_ryland owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ub_ryland posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarson11 View Post
seems like the definition of full time is a little vague
If you are in college, you know if you are a full time student or not. It is thrown in your face multiple times each semester with regards to registering for classes, obtaining financial aid, etc.

Full time is > or = 12 credit hours...
2010 NYPL - Lockport Dragons #13
2011 WIPS Champions/NCPA - University at Buffalo #13

2011 NAPL - Wellsville Express FSU Kids #13
Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM #31
Dethant
College paintballer

the rules as i saw it were like reading a speedlimit sign that says " 50ish mph"

what the hell does that mean.

Even colleges seem to define full time as anywhere between 9 and 15 credits, in my experience, and its different if your taking graduate level courses.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM #32
miragedesaint

miragedesaint is a Supporting Member
miragedesaint plays in the PSP
miragedesaint supports our troops
Like I said earlier, full time is ~12 credits and up. It's up to the school/state/federal government to decide what "full time" is. You know if you're full time or not.

There's a difference between take graduate level courses and being a graduate student. Full time for grad students is ~8 credits.

My Feedback
Paintballer187.com
Orlando PB World

Last edited by miragedesaint : 04-18-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:57 PM #33
da oreo
JUST DYE

Annual Supporting Member
As a graduate student you only take ~9 credits to be full time because the rest of your time is spent working on research for your thesis/studying/exams etc... (basically alot of ***** work depending on what you are going for).

But it is still important to have had everything cleared with the league before you go into the tournament. I could understand why they werent allowed to play "A" but "AA" ehh... its still only paintball and cheerleading is still considered more of a sport to the rest of america.
(and not allowing an illegal team is not going to make paintball look more legit to the outside world so please dont go with that argument...)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM #34
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by miragedesaint View Post
Do you know the difference between a full time employee and a part time employee?
Benefits?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM #35
jdlarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by da oreo View Post
As a graduate student you only take ~9 credits to be full time because the rest of your time is spent working on research for your thesis/studying/exams etc... (basically alot of ***** work depending on what you are going for).

But it is still important to have had everything cleared with the league before you go into the tournament. I could understand why they werent allowed to play "A" but "AA" ehh... its still only paintball and cheerleading is still considered more of a sport to the rest of america.
(and not allowing an illegal team is not going to make paintball look more legit to the outside world so please dont go with that argument...)
Agree +1
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 PM #36
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Maybe they should prescreen the eligibility of the players prior to the event.
Maybe team captains should take just the slightest bit of responsibility and read the rules prior to the event, then contact the president of the league they want to compete in if they are unsure of said rules. If they got dropped from Class A due to a roster containing ineligible players and then got caught attempting to field those players again, that says enough about their intentions.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM #37
UMDpaintball
TMNT4life

UMDpaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
UMDpaintball is an NCPA player
UMDpaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
I could understand why they werent allowed to play "A" but "AA" ehh... its still only paintball and cheerleading is still considered more of a sport to the rest of america.
That's the wrong attitude. Both Class A & AA have the same eligibility requirements. Only difference is that A is required to bring enrollment verification to the National Championship event.

Quote:
Do you even understand what you just wrote? It doesn't make any sense. I hope you understand that we have these rules so that we can provide a fair event, not so that it looks "more legit to the outside world"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
Maybe team captains should take just the slightest bit of responsibility and read the rules prior to the event, then contact the president of the league they want to compete in if they are unsure of said rules. If they got dropped from Class A due to a roster containing ineligible players and then got caught attempting to field those players again, that says enough about their intentions.

Paintball Adventure Park
University of Maryland

Last edited by UMDpaintball : 04-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 PM #38
jdlarson11

So if they would have entered AA class to begin with they would have played with no issues. Ok got it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM #39
UMDpaintball
TMNT4life

Quote:
So if they would have entered AA class to begin with they would have played with no issues. Ok got it.
Probably not. We spot-check players in both college divisions throughout the event by contacting university registrars as well as verifying student status through National Student Clearinghouse.

We aim to require enrollment verification for all divisions next year pending we have the staff capability to process the additional 80 or more teams we expect to participate in the AA division and HS divisions.

As a side note, a fair amount of AA teams voluntarily brought enrollment verification even though it wasn't required, which we openly welcome.

Paintball Adventure Park
University of Maryland

Last edited by UMDpaintball : 04-18-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 PM #40
bonusballas
E.K.K

bonusballas plays in the PSP
bonusballas donated to help Peyton Trent
bonusballas supports our troops
bonusballas plays in the APPA D3 division
bonusballas is Boss
We brought enrollment verification, School ID's and Government issued ID's just for high school.

I don't understand why anyone shouldn't have to do that.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM #41
da oreo
JUST DYE

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDpaintball View Post
That's the wrong attitude. Both Class A & AA have the same eligibility requirements. Only difference is that A is required to bring enrollment verification to the National Championship event.

Not to take anything away from AA but it is like the March Madness tournament and the NIT. Just look at which games were webcasted.

Do you even understand what you just wrote? It doesn't make any sense. I hope you understand that we have these rules so that we can provide a fair event, not so that it looks "more legit to the outside world"

It's not like they were trying to sneak ollie lang and nicky cuba onto their team or people who didnt even go to the school. Lucky for them they were in florida and this didnt happen to a team from mass or cali. Do you really think someone would spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to be a part time student just so that they can play a paintball tournament?
I'm sorry but I dont see what they did to be so egregious that they couldnt compete in AA.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM #42
UMDpaintball
TMNT4life

Quote:
I'm sorry but I dont see what they did to be so egregious that they couldnt compete in AA.
As I understand it, they were not disqualified from participating in AA. They made the decision to drop out altogether rather than risk permanent suspension in the case that illegal players were found to be playing.

Paintball Adventure Park
University of Maryland
Closed Thread