PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM #1
flyb4udie15

has been a member for 10 years
advice from any VCs

I wanted to find out how you guys got involved with venture capitalism and what some common routes are to get a foot in the door. I recently graduated with a degree in business and would like to get my mba. I am looking into Investment Management, Entrepreneurship, Accounting, and finance. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.
flyb4udie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM #2
TheAZN
I'm Going To Disney World

I'm far from a VC, but I've met and talked to a bunch. I'm an undergrad business student myself.

So apparently the most common route into VCs is Investment Banking - most people do a 2-5 year stint, grab an MBA, and hop into a hedge fund, PE, or VC.

Alternatively, lots of guys come out of PE shops themselves- KKR, Blackstone, Silverlake, etc. Then there are the odd men out that come from consulting backgrounds - McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Oliver Wyman, etc.

And then there's everyone else. Start-ups, tech firms, you name it.

Hope that helps a bit.
TheAZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM #3
Superzeus
Living is the functionary

has been a member for 10 years
Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Basically what was said above. You come from a high level finance job which means going to a balling undergrad business school, getting a good GPA (3.7+), and doing the right extracurriculars.

That or you are successful in your own start up, which could mean coming up with the next twitter from your garage dressed in a bath robe.

OG FEEDBACK
Superzeus is offline   Reply With Quote