Community Focus

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM #1
guitarghost
Mini Elitist

guitarghost plays in the APPA D5 division
guitarghost has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
guitarghost has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Objective game advice?

I've been asked by my field owner to come up with an objective type game for the upcoming season to spice things up. My field is very recball oriented (center flag all day) and I need a good balance of simplicity and teamwork oriented play toward an objective. My concept so far is a timed game (1 hour) where the two sides will be divided into smaller squads that will fight for control of four or five flags spread across the field with unlimited respawns to give the "big battle" feel. So basically keep the flags your color to win. Whats boggling me is what's the best way to score this? Award a point every minute for a flag the respective teams color? A point for every flag captured? Also concerning me is the respawn system. The simplest would be just tagging in at the team's HQ, but that would discourage the squads always sticking together. I've considered allowing each squad a medic, but we tried this in a different game and the medic just ended up using a few players as meat shields and plowed across the field. If you are willing to share your experiece with a similar game or have ideas in general on scoring and respawning it would be greatly appreciated!
guitarghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM #2
143rd SOG (Det. A)
"SEMPRE INTENDO INGUEN! "

Our advice: Points are awarded for a flag being raised at a specific fort at a specific time during the day (that way the referee is easily present to witness the points earned), re-spawn at each base your team holds that is not currently being fought over and or re-spawn at your field entrance point if your close enough & one medic per side that can only be taken out with a head shot (that way re-spawning is possible during a fire fight) and perhaps bonus points for props being found during the day and being brought in (like gold painted ammo cans or Mardi Gras beads or something) this way you have a combination of capture the flag and a scavenger hunt in the same game. Good Luck!

Thank You To Our Sponsors:
http://watchyourbackproductions.com
http://norsemantire.com/
Check Out The Great Gear And Deals From Our Friends at:
http://oregonpaintball.com
143rd SOG (Det. A) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 PM #3
mabger
ger

We just ran a fairly similar gametype this past Saturday w/ 3 flag stations. W/ the cold & snow plus lower attendance, the winter scenarios are kept a bit simpler than warm weather games. What we did was have 15 minute respawns, at each respawn rocket the score was taken as well. So if your team had 2 of the three flags up at that interval you got 2 points, the other team one. This was a day long game, 6 hours total, split in half (lunch in between) w/ different flag positions each half. So 15 minute respawns was ok for us - obviously it wouldn't work too well for a 60 minute game. You could certainly shorten it to a 5 minute respawn w/ scoring at the same interval - then maybe a rolling respawn for the last 5 minutes. Or, if action slowed at certain points, declare a rolling respawn for the next 10-15 minutes.

If you are looking for another idea (I just answered a similar topic on a another forum so basically copy n' pasted it here): A mission we've run during a scenario that could translate to a stand alone game type was kind of like a linear attack and defend. As I'm unfamiliar w/ the type of field you have, size or layout, this game would work well in a wooded area along a trail, or at least along a logical path thru your field setup. This was used for a Blackhawk Down scenario a couple of years ago as a "Mogadishu Mile" mission. It was used again this past Summer for a GI Joe vs. Cobra game & was honestly the most fun I've ever had over a 90 minute timeframe during a scenario. The instant-moving respawn we used makes for non-stop action.

As attackers you move along the trail dropping flags at predetermined points while defenders of course... defend. The respawn points are the flag point to either side of the current objective flag. See my rudimentary diagram below ...

Start of game:
X ---> O ---> O ---> O ---> O ---> O --- X
X = Attacker start of game position & first respawn
O = Objective flag
O = Defender respawn
---> = Flow

After the first flag position is taken by the attackers, everything shifts forward as follows:
O = Attacker respawn
O = Objective flag
O = Defender respawn

This continues down the line until the last flag position is reached:
O = Attacker respawn
O = Objective flag
X = Defender respawn

The game ends when the time runs out or the Attackers take the last objective flag or "O" in the diagram.

The number of flags is up to you, I think we had something like 6 or 7 flag points to go thru. Again, our respawns were instant to maintain the high level of action, but that could be revised to however it suits your field/players, I would say though that a numbered respawn would be an ok alternative, but a timed one could be disastrous for the defending team. For each flag station they just used a construction cone w/ a flag in it, the attackers only had to pull the flag to make it their current respawn. This game type certainly can appeal to aggressive players as more than likely the aggressive team wins, so make certain teams are pretty well balanced.
mabger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM #4
guitarghost
Mini Elitist

Thanks for the responses guys.

143rd SOG (Det. A), with your one medic per side, are you referring to a player that can float between squads and help wherever it's needed? That would be an interesting twist to the respawning.

mabger, i really like the the linear advance style. Unfortunately I don't think my field is long enough for this, and it's more square. If I wanted to I could sprint all the way to the center bunker and pull a flag off the break, I just wouldn't survive there very long by myself.

Any more suggestions appreciated!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM #5
143rd SOG (Det. A)
"SEMPRE INTENDO INGUEN! "

Yep thats exactly what I ment. It takes a selfless daring soul to be that medic so make sure your volunteer understands the job.

Thank You To Our Sponsors:
http://watchyourbackproductions.com
http://norsemantire.com/
Check Out The Great Gear And Deals From Our Friends at:
http://oregonpaintball.com
143rd SOG (Det. A) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM #6
guitarghost
Mini Elitist

Awesome, I like the idea. A medic in every squad seemed excessive, but one valiant hero on each side would be perfect.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM #7
MAT8686

You could try doing every 15min or 30min intervals. This would allow flag changes, but whoever owned it at the time interval would get the points. The longer intervals allow for easier checking by refs, and if the field is smaller it will be easier to get to all of them in a short amount of time, without having the ref run in circles to all the flags the whole time.
MAT8686 is offline   Reply With Quote