PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 PM #1
stealthninja

stealthninja owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Best side for a lefty?

So I usually play left front. no matter the side. I feel more comfortable in the snake than dorito's. but left front non-the-less. My team wants me to break free from my comfort zone and learn mid and right side. Is it even feasible to send a lefty to the right side. I cant out snap right handed ( but I guess most righty ppl can't either.) but I could shoot inside really good. anyways the question of the day is which way is the best way for a lefty to go??
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2011, 02:11 PM #2
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
in order to be a well balanced good player you have to learn to shoot with both hands equally well. I'm a right handed and right eye dominant shooter but I find that because of where I play I tend to end up shooting left handed more often in paintball. Its just one of those unavoidable things.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM #3
Alvecchio

Alvecchio plays in the PSP
Alvecchio owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Alvecchio owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
honesly, don't find a way to cope with being left handed and accept it. Find a way to overcome it and play both. I would walk around my house holding my marker left all day and play lefty when I went to play for fun. You must be able to play either.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM #4
manwee
Explosive Kittens

manwee supports Team VICIOUS
Well seeing as in tournaments youll be changing sides nowhere is going to be good. learn how to shoot with both hands. I forget which handed i am sometimes (im a lefty) youll become a better player and a better asset for your team

"Are they my balls all over your face?"
Karma Police 12 - "OMG IT has the worlds first ever SLPR (super-low pressure lpr) cause its gonna run at negative psi. worlds first ever anti-matter marker."
SquareDorito,"I shoot and it's going right at them, then the wind comes in and is like LOL JK!!"
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face......."
lucasicool is my best friend. I call him Rocky
manwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM #5
sixsixsix
Dynamic4Life

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
sixsixsix plays in the APPA D3 division
like everyone said you need to be able to play comfortably with either hand

Gearbag Sale!
My Feedback
Cpt/Owner of East Coast Dynamic #13/#6
sixsixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 AM #6
dye7paintball7
OHHHH YEAHHHH

dye7paintball7 supports Team VICIOUS
dye7paintball7 is an NCPA player
Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 AM #7
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Just spend a day or two shooting only with your right side. When it's over, it won't feel so awkward. It's one of those things where you think you'll never get the hang of it, until you force yourself to.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 AM #8
BenSquared

BenSquared owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i usually shot left, but after some time, i learned to like shooting lefty more. Weird stuff.
BenSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 AM #9
Nitestalker

Nitestalker owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Nitestalker plays in the APPA D4 division
If you find you absolutely cannot shoot right handed then try shooting left handed but with your tank on your right shoulder. I know some righties that cant shoot lefty and thats what they do. And if you cant shoot right go to the right side anyway. Just have someone behind you watching the wire as you shoot the inside.
Sponsored by: HPS, Empire Paintball, My wallet
Nitestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM #10
jmac

jmac plays in the PSP
jmac plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestalker View Post
If you find you absolutely cannot shoot right handed then try shooting left handed but with your tank on your right shoulder. I know some righties that cant shoot lefty and thats what they do. And if you cant shoot right go to the right side anyway. Just have someone behind you watching the wire as you shoot the inside.

Horrible tip. Don't do this.

Just use your off hand as much as possible and it becomes very easy. Even around your house as one guy said.
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 AM #11
Nitestalker

Nitestalker owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Nitestalker plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
Horrible tip. Don't do this.

Just use your off hand as much as possible and it becomes very easy. Even around your house as one guy said.
I'm not sayin I think its a good thing to do but have seen people play like that with some success.

Just try different things and see what works best for you.
Sponsored by: HPS, Empire Paintball, My wallet
Nitestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM #12
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
It seems to me like too many players are getting stuck on the idea of specialization lately. Your team is right, you've got to learn to do several jobs out there. If I watch a team at a tourney, and they've got one guy that does the same thing every time, I'm going to have my boys waiting for that easy kill when the time comes. You don't have to be the best mid-guy or back-guy or dorito player ever, BUT you've at least got to be able to do those things with a certain level of competence and confidence.

As for learning to shoot with your off hand; just start at zero and begin the process as if you'd never played ball before in your life. Take it slow, no one expects you to learn over night.

Start with just getting your stance right, and becoming comfortable with holding your marker and switching sides. Like the others have said, you can do that sort of stuff around the house, or on your off days.

At practice maybe you want to start with break-out drills where you lane to the right. Focus on getting off the box and in proper position smoothly, just like you might shooting on your natural side. Then maybe a simple target drill where you have to swap sides in your bunker, but not necessarily snap shoot with your weak side. Follow that with basic, static target, snap shooting. Keep focused on form over speed. As you become more comfortable you should be able to start running faster paced drills, or drill with guys shooting back at you. If you focus on being smooth early on, the speed aspect of it will pretty much come by itself.

As you work through that progression not only will it help your overall basic skills(with both sides) but it will also ease you into a new skill set (off hand shooting) without necessarily throwing you straight into the fire. Just keep it simple at first and be patient with yourself, talk to your mates and make sure they know what you're doing so that they can help you out. Give it a bit of work and a few good practices and you'll wonder why you were ever concerned about this in the first place.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM #13
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestalker View Post
I'm not sayin I think its a good thing to do but have seen people play like that with some success.

Just try different things and see what works best for you.
The problem with that is once he does it, it becomes a habit and he'll be less likely to do things the right way. No matter how good you are at doing it the way you mentioned, learning to shoot lefty without taking shortcuts will produce a tighter profile and more accurate shooting.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM #14
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
it's like making your mom stuff your tacos. it works, but what happens when you're alone and want a taco? what then?

you need to be ready for that moment.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM #15
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
The problem with that is once he does it, it becomes a habit and he'll be less likely to do things the right way. No matter how good you are at doing it the way you mentioned, learning to shoot lefty without taking shortcuts will produce a tighter profile and more accurate shooting.
This. An ounce of prevention > A pound of cure. It's much easier to learn properly once, than to learn the wrong way and then have to break and re-mold bad habits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
it's like making your mom stuff your tacos. it works, but what happens when you're alone and want a taco? what then?

Is Taco Bell an option?
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM #16
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
That one guy

The way you do it is not important, it's simply the end result. I can snap shoot left handed all day, and I'm right handed, you need to learn to shoot with your off-hand as well as with your main hand.
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM #17
stealthninja

stealthninja owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THANK YOU for the tips and idea's. Great stuff especially the taco thing. lol , never had a mom to do that but I get the idea. LEGIT tips guys thanks again.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM #18
ll XSV ll Witty
"52"

ll XSV ll Witty supports Pev's Paintball
Just keep practicing then soon you dont even think about it, you just play paintball.

"WGP PUMPIN"
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
"If he is pumping that hard either get that man a girlfriend or a semi!"
ll XSV ll Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM #19
Tweaky

Tweaky plays in the PSP
Tweaky owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Tweaky supports Team VICIOUS
Tweaky plays in the APPA D3 division
Switch Hands. But until u learn to do that. Go back right and dont shoot tape, shoot inside. Only do this if the snake is on the left side of you though, cuz u gotta shoot that tape/snake if its on the right side and ur snake corner on the right.
Tweaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM #20
OutkastedCocker

OutkastedCocker is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvecchio View Post
honesly, don't find a way to cope with being left handed and accept it. Find a way to overcome it and play both. I would walk around my house holding my marker left all day and play lefty when I went to play for fun. You must be able to play either.
That is an awesome idea, im gonna start walking around the house using my offhand.
OutkastedCocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM #21
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post

your mom is a professional taco stuffer?...

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote