Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM #1
XSV2121

XSV2121 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
XSV2121 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XSV2121 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
XSV2121 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
XSV2121 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Need help with airplane issues.

I am going to be traveling from Wisconsin to California this summer and want to bring some of my paintball gear. I will be shipping the tanks but I was wondering, do I have to worry about my guns being stolen out of my suit case at the airport. I know I can put them through in a checked bag but idk how secure it is. Also, I want to bring extra paintballs over and was wondering if you can fly them in a bag? Or can you being them in on a carry on bag. Or if I put them in my suit case, will the break from the pressure?
XSV2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 PM #2
RiverValleyPaintball

Your best bet is to by a small pad lock and put it on the zipper for your gun. As for the paintballs, how do you think they ship them from China to here? By plane. You should be good if you throw them in, or you could also throw em in with ur tank, less hassle with the TSA.
Check out our Facebook
RiverValleyPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 AM #3
XSV2121

I thought that the TSA could go into your bag? Along with cutting locks to get into them. As for things like a mask and hopper, can I carry those on the plane? I'm trying to only check one bag and send one package.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM #4
RiverValleyPaintball

Don't put the lock on until after they search it. You still have your privacy rights, but shipping it is still easier. Mask and Hopper. As long as they can see inside both clearly, your ok.
Check out our Facebook
RiverValleyPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 AM #5
XSV2121

Well don't you put your bag through security and you can't do anything about it? And couldn't I just carry on the hopper? Or carry on the paintballs?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM #6
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VII
Pump Scout supports Team VICIOUS
Pump Scout is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Hold up - you want to carry on a small electronic device with batteries, wires, motors, and such that most TSA screeners are unfamiliar with? Check it or ship it, or plan to spend extra time at the airport.

Also, it doesn't hurt to talk to the airline and airport staff beforehand, so they know what's coming. They may have additional requirements or guidelines to follow.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM #7
[Angel][SCF]
Who Dares Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverValleyPaintball View Post
Your best bet is to by a small pad lock and put it on the zipper for your gun. As for the paintballs, how do you think they ship them from China to here? By plane. You should be good if you throw them in, or you could also throw em in with ur tank, less hassle with the TSA.
they actually ship them by boat. do you know what it would cost to ship paintballs by air here from china?? in comparison a 30lb package costs about 115 bucks to ship by air from california to NYC. and yes cargo planes do NOT have their air pressure kept constant so things will expand and explode. i wouldnt ship balls via any method cuz UPS and Fed Ex arent carefuly with their packages. and fragile stickers dont work either. i would just buy paint when you get here.

also tanks need to be shipped with the regs removed for the same reason of pressure increasing inside the tank during flight. it also shows that its empty on the inside and doesnt contain a bomb (dont use that word at the airport btw, TSA guys do not have a sense of humor). if youre gonna fly with your tank, it would be wise to print out from the TSA website the spot about air cylinders being allowed on planes as long as they have the regs removed, and tape the rules onto your tank so you dont get the guy that only half read the rules and confiscates it cuz it looks like a bomb.

as for passing your bag through TSA inspection, they do need to get inside it, so they'd cut your lock. but they inspect it right in front of you so if someone takes your marker, put him in a headlock (actually, dont do that). you can attach locks to your bags after you pass through inspection.

and dont let anyone on the plane SEE the marker or other gear because they might think its a weapon and freak out.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM #8
XSV2121

Are you sure the tanks have to be shipped with the tank reg off? Or can I send it ups ground and not have to worry about it? And shouldn't the plane baggage be pressurized? What about animals put on planes. U think the paintballs won't be ok in my bag? And I can't being them on the plane in a carry on?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM #9
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Check with UPS, but I believe if you're going strictly ground, they can keep the regs on. TSA and FAA requires pressure bottles in an aircraft have the regs removed. There's a sticky at the top of this section that details the TSA/FAA's directives on flying with paintball gear.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM #10
XSV2121

K, and you don't know about bringing paintball in a carry on bag?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM #11
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
I believe paintballs would fall under non-flammable liquids if individual. Since you're not looking to bring a single ball, you're looking at being over the amount you could carry on, so you'd have to do checked. Honestly, for the hassle it involves to ship paint or get it packaged safely (Ever seen a baggage handler? Trust them to not shatter the paint?) to fly with in checked baggage, you may be much better off buying paint at the event or site.

Again, give a call to the airline and to the airport's TSA office for clarification.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM #12
XSV2121

Ok, will do, thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:27 AM #13
[Angel][SCF]
Who Dares Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout
I believe paintballs would fall under non-flammable liquids if individual. Since you're not looking to bring a single ball, you're looking at being over the amount you could carry on, so you'd have to do checked. Honestly, for the hassle it involves to ship paint or get it packaged safely (Ever seen a baggage handler? Trust them to not shatter the paint?) to fly with in checked baggage, you may be much better off buying paint at the event or site.

Again, give a call to the airline and to the airport's TSA office for clarification.
I agree.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM #14
llpaintball

llpaintball is a Paintball photographer
llpaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Its really not so tough, you can fly with everything checked, you CANNOT have your gun/marker in your carry on. There is a TSA link for paintball especally so they know what it is and people fly with their gear all the time.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1745.shtm
llpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote