Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM #1
AaronGPB

AaronGPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AaronGPB supports Pev's Paintball
AaronGPB has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
For Back Players

I play back-center generally (I'm trying to get out of there) and I have been thinking about how we look.

To an inexperienced player we are seen as the people that sit in the back and have no effect on the game. What do you guys do in tournament (or practice) to make your self look more useful. For example once you get a G or 2 do you start pushing up the center?
AaronGPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:16 PM #2
Blastman56
Wazzy

Blastman56 plays in the PSP
Blastman56 is playing at Living Legends III
Blastman56 supports Team VICIOUS
Blastman56 is for the Gunfight
Look more useful? It doesn't matter how useful soemone looks, anyone that really plays ball knows that back players are essential.

CHeap Creed need cash
Blastman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM #3
Nitestalker

Nitestalker owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Nitestalker plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastman56 View Post
Look more useful? It doesn't matter how useful soemone looks, anyone that really plays ball knows that back players are essential.
Yea front players usually end up gettin the "kool" kills but without someone watching thier back they can get pinched and end up as a G themselves.
Sponsored by: HPS, Empire Paintball, My wallet
Nitestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM #4
Mr.Jenkins
Little white flowers...

Mr.Jenkins owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Mr.Jenkins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Anyone who says back players aren't "useful" should try playing snake with no back player on their team at snake corner...

IntenseImage-"Please for the love of god dont get a luxe"

RussianLegionTimi- "my kid will shoot a phantom, and if he fires more than 50 rounds a day he will get the belt."
Mr.Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM #5
AaronGPB

I knew I was gonna that answer....haha

But what I mean is, PAINTBALL is gonna become televised, and people are gonna see back players doing what they need to do, think that the back position is gonna change?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM #6
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGPB View Post

But what I mean is, PAINTBALL is gonna become televised, and people are gonna see back players doing what they need to do, think that the back position is gonna change?
Nope. Its the commentators job to explain those types of things.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM #7
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
You'll look a lot more useful sitting in back center than you will in the dead box because you tried to look cooler. Back players are essential for controlling lanes, communicating, and moving their players up the field. It may not look great in practice, but ending a tournament on the podium because you did your job does.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM #8
wildcat65gt500
Hack the planet!!

wildcat65gt500 plays in the APPA D4 division
wildcat65gt500 supports DLX Technology
I am currently playing back center as well. And as such I typically am 1 of the last on my team to see the dead box because that is my job to stay alive so I can keep the communication strong and keep my fronts alive. You are THE key role in the game. If you cant keep XYZ guy in his bunker your front cant make his bump or get his next kill. No we dont make the big moves typically but without us neither do the front guys.

Regarding getting out of that bunker. ya if we have 2 up over the other team and my fronts are at the 50 i am no further back than our 30 or im at the X getting the flag. But I would suggest though start working other sides to be a fill. For instance I am D-side fill. if we loose D-side my *** is over there.
wildcat65gt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM #9
heavyD 70

has been a member for 10 years
heavyD 70 plays in the PSP
heavyD 70 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
heavyD 70 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
You'll look a lot more useful sitting in back center than you will in the dead box because you tried to look cooler. Back players are essential for controlling lanes, communicating, and moving their players up the field. It may not look great in practice, but ending a tournament on the podium because you did your job does.
This pretty much sums it up, back center players have to be able to play every single bunker on the field. Sure in a perfect game they are just holding a couple lanes and other players may get the "run threw." Its kind of like being an offensive lineman in football sure u may not get the glory but people that no the sport no u are key to the team. My back center player is the most consistent Smartest player on my team, back center is not just a place to hide the slowest player on the team anymore. On most layouts he ends up filling any where from d2 to snake corner
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post72928675
heavyD 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:42 AM #10
bcusitsjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD 70 View Post
This pretty much sums it up, back center players have to be able to play every single bunker on the field. Sure in a perfect game they are just holding a couple lanes and other players may get the "run threw." Its kind of like being an offensive lineman in football sure u may not get the glory but people that no the sport no u are key to the team. My back center player is the most consistent Smartest player on my team, back center is not just a place to hide the slowest player on the team anymore. On most layouts he ends up filling any where from d2 to snake corner
i was just about to say that (regarding the O-Line thing)...
funny, cuz i used to play o-line, and i just so happen to be a back player
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 AM #11
rakim
I used to be a 2k9'er

The back center is like the drummer of a rock band. Never gets the glory of the solo guitar (snake) but always get the blame when you have a ****ty gig haha.

WTB Tippmann Effect 98
rakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 AM #12
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Don't really care what people see on TV during the game (off the field, everyone better be nice and not mess it up like last time ). Besides, the camera isn't going to be focused on te back guys. It will be on the front and dorito players making the moves up.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM #13
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusitsjeff View Post
i was just about to say that (regarding the O-Line thing)...
funny, cuz i used to play o-line, and i just so happen to be a back player
X3
Except I disagree with the "so happen" portion of your statement. lol
If someone is built for o-line you are probably built for back center.(although yes I know, not in all cases)

The thing a lot of people forget is what THEIR JOB on the field is, they forget how much is really happening and how much you have to do. The back position is not the glory position, it's not the highlight spot, unless you can pull off a Matty Marshall 3V1 victory (in the pro division), you don't just have a job to do, you [potentially] have all of them to do. The back player isn't just communication to the snake/Dorito sides, you are communicating for them. The back player has to know what's going on the entire field, and they have to be able to fill into play any position. One of the other things to understand is that if a back player can do a truly phenomenal job, most people will never even notice, they will be too focused on the front players running around taking advantage of the situations you are providing for them.

The biggest reason back players feel less useful these days is due to coaching, coaching has destroyed (or at least helped diminish) a vital skill in this game, players have become dependent on not just coaches speaking to them, then now require a coach to speak for them and that's not a good thing.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM #14
kitiper68
Dein Tot kommt schnell!

kitiper68 posts videos on PbNation
kitiper68 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kitiper68 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
kitiper68 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGPB View Post

the NFL is televised and no matter how many decades it is on TV linemen will NEVER be in the lime light. no matter how many sacks they stop or blitzes they prevent. this is the same with back players. i know how it feels to be both. keep railing and talking to your team. that is your only job.
kitiper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 PM #15
BiG MaN KemP
Custom User Title

BiG MaN KemP has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
back players are the backbone of the team. without them your just a sack of misguided fools running around trying to outgun an extremely co-ordinated opponent.

PS. JUST AS LEE STATED, COAHCING HAS RUINED A VITAL SKILL IN PB. I cannot express how many bunkers/one shot kills/headshots have been taken from me due to someones teammate on the sidelines telling his guy in snake where i am facing every ****ing second....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM #16
homeskilly_antny

homeskilly_antny supports DLX Technology
did anyone watch the first day of NPPL? Jon Richardson who usually starts out in the back for Infamous had the best run through in the tournament. i thought he looked pretty damn cool shooting out 3 guys on one run through. Rich Telford always looks cool closing out games bunkering fools.

Last edited by homeskilly_antny : 04-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.
homeskilly_antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM #17
victorious_bast3rdz
Funky ch-pimp

victorious_bast3rdz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i think matty did a decent job pointing out what the back players importance was, especially b/c the games were focused in on snake and back snake corner
victorious_bast3rdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM #18
AaronGPB

Yes, Matty did a great job. I am going to send him an email and thank him later tonight. He did a lot to show the public how vital a back player is.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM #19
swanton23
ASCENSION

swanton23 is BST Trusted
swanton23 plays in the PSP
swanton23 plays in the APPA D4 division
swanton23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
non ballers will never get that a back players is the outfield/infield players, lineman, bench players in bball, or any of that sort. long story short. a team without a back player will never win. you may think your team is sick but without a back player your team isnt sick, their dead
swanton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM #20
AaronGPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanton23 View Post
non ballers will never get that a back players is the outfield/infield players, lineman, bench players in bball, or any of that sort. long story short. a team without a back player will never win. you may think your team is sick but without a back player your team isnt sick, their dead
smart man...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM #21
david42

david42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
david42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
david42 supports Team VICIOUS
david42 plays in the APPA D4 division
Simple: If you want to look more useful and make the beginners stare in awww, shoot more paint then what most people would use in a entire day. But putting all joking aside back players are the most important players on the field so there is really no point in trying to make yourself look "more useful."

eniviousjohn: "So please, please, for the love of all things scantily clad and 40% alcohol by volume, just shoot the guns for yourselves. If you're having trouble choosing between which super expensive mega-awesome new paintball marker to choose from, are you really even having a problem to begin with?
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote