If you were starting a country, what system and laws would you put in place? - Page 3 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-20-2004, 01:39 PM #43
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Not much time, but flat tax = unfair. Poor people can't sustain themselves as well as rich people with the same tax.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2004, 01:43 PM #44
Tiny (Banned)
The Real Tiny

Then it better be a fair percentage, duh. Oh and for a source:

http://www.bitemeIdontneedasourceforcommonsense.com
Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 PM #45
The Dread Pirate
Warning: Choking Hazard

The Dread Pirate is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SlingerXL
Not much time, but flat tax = unfair. Poor people can't sustain themselves as well as rich people with the same tax.
How is 10% of $10,000 any different than paying 10% of $1,000,000? Flat tax is COMPLETELY FAIR to everyone. The current tax system may be fair in the eyes of the less wealthy, but to someone in an upper tax bracket, paying 40% of what you make is rediculous.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:50 PM #46
Tiny (Banned)
The Real Tiny

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dread Pirate
How is 10% of $10,000 any different than paying 10% of $1,000,000? Flat tax is COMPLETELY FAIR to everyone. The current tax system may be fair in the eyes of the less wealthy, but to someone in an upper tax bracket, paying 40% of what you make is rediculous.
Of course then you have to add in dividend and corporate taxes because most wealthy people are company owners too.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:15 PM #47
renegade8

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dread Pirate
What I don't get is people who are rich cry about taxes. I find it funny that the people crying about the % have like 4 cars, million dollar home, boat, cottages, and never have to worry about money ever and yet they seem disgusted to have to pay taxes.

$10mil a year * 40% = $4 million in taxes. $6 million a year take home(just quick math figure) is unacceptable to live on? Bah I make less than 30k a year and still pay 30% taxes. When you begin earning that high dollar money then it's a different ball game altogether.

I'm not flaming you, I'm just using what you said as an example. and for the record I do agree with the flat tax. It's fair as long as the percentage is right.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 PM #48
Tiny (Banned)
The Real Tiny

Quote:
Originally posted by renegade8
What I don't get is people who are rich cry about taxes. I find it funny that the people crying about the % have like 4 cars, million dollar home, boat, cottages, and never have to worry about money ever and yet they seem disgusted to have to pay taxes.

$10mil a year * 40% = $4 million in taxes. $6 million a year take home(just quick math figure) is unacceptable to live on? Bah I make less than 30k a year and still pay 30% taxes. When you begin earning that high dollar money then it's a different ball game altogether.

I'm not flaming you, I'm just using what you said as an example. and for the record I do agree with the flat tax. It's fair as long as the percentage is right.
Although as my wealth expanded my responsibilities diminshed, I still spend 75-80 hours a week running my businesses. I worked hard for my money in the beginning to get to where I am at now. Other people work 40 hours a week (of course addd in lunches, smoke breaks, coffee breaks, water cooler breaks, and general goofing off it is more like 25 hours) and are taxed on a lower percentage. If I made $10 million and $4 million is going to teh government and the equivalent (say $50,000/ year employee) 200 emplyees who make the same $10 million and only pay $2.8 million how is that fair? look at it from both sides instead of seeing it from a middle class bias position.

* Edit - I wish I made $10 million.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:03 PM #49
The Dread Pirate

Its because rich people are "evil" and "greedy" miesers that dont help anyone. I go with my uncle every year to FAO Schwartz in Manhattan and buy somethin around $350,000 in toys for poor kids which get donated the same day. I like it because I get to go toy shopping (even though I dont get to keep anything), my uncle gets a giant tax break and the poor kids get some toys they need. Everyone benifits.

I think a system where you can donate to charity to get a % tax break would be good, but flat tax would be the best.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:13 PM #50
Tiny (Banned)
The Real Tiny

Hey I donate toys to the local hospital pediatric wards every year. And yes twitch I dress my fat *** up as santa to deliver them. It is fun. But charity wise I donate on average $20,000 worth of stuff per year between local boy scout troops, sports programs and the women's center. I get tax breaks for it.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:15 PM #51
Brewmaster
You guys suck.

I'm not even a fan of a flat percentage. How about a flat dollar amount? Yeah, you guys are gonna cry about the poor now, I know, but since this is a thread about a new country, I officially say that nobody in my country is poor. How about a compromise for this country... 10% of what you earn up to a max amount, and anything over than is untaxed?

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time." - Quagmire

"I don't understand the point of this thread..." - zack

Back to school special! Your quote could be sigged here for as little as 25 cents per day! PM me for details.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:32 PM #52
renegade8

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiny
Although as my wealth expanded my responsibilities diminshed, I still spend 75-80 hours a week running my businesses. I worked hard for my money in the beginning to get to where I am at now. Other people work 40 hours a week (of course addd in lunches, smoke breaks, coffee breaks, water cooler breaks, and general goofing off it is more like 25 hours) and are taxed on a lower percentage. If I made $10 million and $4 million is going to teh government and the equivalent (say $50,000/ year employee) 200 emplyees who make the same $10 million and only pay $2.8 million how is that fair? look at it from both sides instead of seeing it from a middle class bias position.

* Edit - I wish I made $10 million.
My point to all this is when you make that kind of money the percentage doesn't hurt you the same as those 200 people only making 50K. It's a lot easier to live on 6 mil or heck even 300k a year than it is to live on 50k. That was my point is the more you make the easier it is to live on what you make, hence the reason for helping "distribute the wealth among the employees : Tiny".

I do applaud you for the business model you use with your employees. That's what I'm talking about right there. You are helping your people to have a better life along with you and that has to be rewarding in it's own right.

I wish I made $10 mil also
Old 08-20-2004, 06:07 PM #53
SlingerXL
Stands to reason

SlingerXL is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by renegade8
My point to all this is when you make that kind of money the percentage doesn't hurt you the same as those 200 people only making 50K. It's a lot easier to live on 6 mil or heck even 300k a year than it is to live on 50k. That was my point is the more you make the easier it is to live on what you make, hence the reason for helping "distribute the wealth among the employees : Tiny".
That's what I'm saying. The rich can sustain themselves much better even with 40% taxes than the poor with 6% taxes. Tiny, you're constantly harping on about how the division between the poor and rich is growing, then how can you justify a flat tax?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:09 PM #54
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by SlingerXL
oh.. so let's tax more on the rich because they can afford it!

A progessive tax is marxist, a flat tax is capitalistic..

Capitalism > Marxism..

Therefore, a flat tax > progressive tax..
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-20-2004, 06:12 PM #55
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

BTW.. Just so you know... Capitalism and Freedom addresses the flat tax v. the progressive..

A flat national tax of 28% will yield more money than the current progressive rates..

Some food for thought..
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-20-2004, 08:03 PM #56
Brewmaster
You guys suck.

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. The rich can sustain themselves much better even with 40% taxes than the poor with 6% taxes.
So? The rich are still paying 36% more of their money than the poor. Not by choice or out of the goodness of their hearts, but by force. It's wrong. Period.

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time." - Quagmire

Back to school special! Your quote could be sigged here for as little as 25 cents per day! PM me for details.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:35 PM #57
The Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Brewmaster
So? The rich are still paying 36% more of their money than the poor. Not by choice or out of the goodness of their hearts, but by force. It's wrong. Period.
Fuzzy math? (Couldnt resist) It would be 34% buddy.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:15 PM #58
Brewmaster
You guys suck.

Ummm.... I was..... figuring in....EARNED INCOME CREDIT!!!! YEAH! That's it.....

Old 08-21-2004, 01:05 AM #59
DreadLock Doc
Love Me, Don't Bother Me

Annual Supporting Member
DreadLock Doc is a Supporting Member
I"m now renaming my ideal country from Pol Pot Appreciation Nation to Pod Sixia. Pod Sixia will provide, free of charge, abortions for some people, and miniature american flags for others.

Long live Pod Sixia!

Despite the name change, the country will still be ruled in the dictatorial style of Pol Pot.