I <3 Jerzey

<3 you Lurker
EVILpaintBALLER24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM #254
Laureate
strength beyond strength

okay, here we go. this **** starts tomorrow so any critiques ASAP would be mega shweet

2:00pm I end my 16 hour fast with a 100% whole wheat bagel with cream cheese and a protein shake...breakdown:
42g of protein/54g of carbs/3g of fat = 411kcal

5:00pm, training begins

7:00pm, I consume 1 protein shake + 1lb of chicken + 1 cup of milk + ranch dressing
153g of protein/13g of carb/~17g of fat = 817kcal

between 7:00pm and 10:00pm, I eat assorted vegetables with ranch dressing.

Right before 10:00pm (start of fast): Casein shake + 2 cups of milk
38g of protein/26g of carb/10g of fat = 346kcal

Total:
1574kcal = 233g of protein/93g of carb/30g of fat = 59% protein, 23.6%carb, 17.4% fat

Things unaccounted for: carbs in protein shake and vegetables, fat in protein shake

Questions:
1. Should I throw in a fiber 1 bar around 9pm? It would add 140kcal, 29g of carbs, and 4g of fat. I think it would fix the ratios a bit

2. I would really like to get a glass of grape juice in. Only problem is that there is 41g carbs in a cup of grape juice with no sugar added. thoughts?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM #255
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
The whole idea behind Leangains is so you don't have to count every calorie, every carb, etc.

Stop making it so difficult. A glass of grape juice will not destroy your progress. It's not a "counting" diet, it's a very simple, 'mind off the minuscule' diet.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM #256
Laureate
strength beyond strength

im just so......angry
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM #257
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
The whole idea behind Leangains is so you don't have to count every calorie, every carb, etc.

Stop making it so difficult. A glass of grape juice will not destroy your progress. It's not a "counting" diet, it's a very simple, 'mind off the minuscule' diet.
I'd count until you get a rough idea of what you're dealing with, quite honestly. If I were bulking or maintaining I would say **** it, I'm just going to eat whatever and stop when I think I should. But if I did that with cutting I would likely always eat much closer to maintenance than what I really want. I've been counting daily and I'm at the end of my 2nd week...I'll probably stop around the end of my 3rd since I'll have a good idea of what I want, but for cutting I'd say counting is highly advisable. Most people either under-judge or over-judge...there are very few who get it just right.

To Lauren: Do you plan on having that be your EVERYDAY meal? On non-training days carbs should be lower and fats should be much, much higher. Also, just personally, I prefer to get an actual whole food source of protein in the first meal rather than just a shake, but that's just personal preference.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 PM #258
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStrike View Post

To Lauren: Do you plan on having that be your EVERYDAY meal? On non-training days carbs should be lower and fats should be much, much higher. Also, just personally, I prefer to get an actual whole food source of protein in the first meal rather than just a shake, but that's just personal preference.
1. yes i did plan on having that be my meal everyday, or something similar.

2. what foods do you think i should use to increase fat? should i just chug a bottle of olive oil lul

3. only problem is that i would have to break it with turkey. i'd have to eat a package of turkey to get that amount of protein, which is going to run me 3 bucks every time.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:38 PM #259
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
1. yes i did plan on having that be my meal everyday, or something similar.
Martin's guide does dictate that non-training days are lower carbs. Of course, it's up to you. To tell you the truth, I'd try having more carbs than that on training days...I usually have 150-200g on training days, and then only 30-50 on non-training. Previously I was doing 50-100 on non-training, but a page or two ago Lurker said he kept it down at the range I'm at right now for non-training. He'll likely come by and comment at some point.
Quote:
2. what foods do you think i should use to increase fat? should i just chug a bottle of olive oil lul

Honestly though, off-days are good days to eat fattier meats, like red meat or chicken thighs. Most of my fats come from meat, eggs and cheese and, despite Lurker's supposed opposition to it, I like natty PB to put some fats into my diet (typically just one serving a day on my off-days...don't use it to just get your fat cals in).
Quote:
3. only problem is that i would have to break it with turkey. i'd have to eat a package of turkey to get that amount of protein, which is going to run me 3 bucks every time.
I don't know what your food situation is. I'm a Junior and living in an apartment/buying my own food, so I have options. My school required that you stay on campus and use the meal plan for the first two years, and I know that those two years feel like a bit of a waste in my training. I never got enough food or the macros that I really needed. Sometimes you just have to make the best with what you have, and if that's the case, then so be it.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 PM #260
Laureate
strength beyond strength

1. okay, i'll add in a fiber 1 on training day. and depending how i feel, maybe a bowl of kashi. which would be +70g of carbs. putting me at 163g of carb on training day.

then on non training days, I will break my fast with the protein shake and just not eat the whole wheat bagel i guess? that's the only place i can really cut carbs. all of my other carbs come from milk. so if i cut out that bagel, i will only get 43g of carb on non training days. is that fine?

2-3. ya, ill look at some cheeses then. otherwise, i am pretty limited because i am already paying for a meal plan at school and don't want to buy an asston of stuff.

but mostly, thank you very much for your help.

so:
training days: add at least one fiber1 bar + bowl of kashi
non training days: cut out bagel, replace with turkey. add more fat, perhaps, 15-20g, most likely which i will get through cheese.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM #261
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

Yeah, again, I know how meal plans are. See what you can do with what you're given.

Also, lol at tons of the threads in this forum just being deleted. Kinda sad that I just put up pics though...I didn't save the links to tinypic
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM #262
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

Tailoring this to suit my needs will be interesting. I work until 4-4:30, then have MMA class from 7:30-10. Should I just lift immediately before MMA, then glut afterward? PreWO, lift, protien shake, MMA, feast? Halp guise.

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
]TSS[ Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM #263
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
When do you normally lift? when do you normally get up?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM #264
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

Get up about 6:15ish, usually lift around 5.

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM #265
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
That's going to be SUCH a short fast, and with your level of activity...I'm concerned. You don't want to roll on an full stomach, and you definitely don't want to cut cals too far.

I would add a meal immediately after work, and take in at least 60 g of protein +BCAA (carbless) in multiple feedings over the course of the preworkout window and then just crush as much food as you can before bed. I feel like getting your cals in could be a struggle though.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM #266
JMills87
-.-

JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStrike View Post
despite Lurker's supposed opposition to it, I like natty PB to put some fats into my diet (typically just one serving a day on my off-days...don't use it to just get your fat cals in).
Lurker, why are you opposed to natty PB?
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM #267
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
I'm not, per se, nuts just are overrated. It's a fat, not a protein. Use it as such and we have no issue.

Nut protein = junk protein
Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM #268
JMills87
-.-

JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
I'm not, per se, nuts just are overrated. It's a fat, not a protein. Use it as such and we have no issue.

Nut protein = junk protein
Word, was just curious. Nuts are one of my primary sources of fat, along with eggs/meat.
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM #269
Laureate
strength beyond strength

dr. lurk,
on your guide you say take bcaas 10m prior before working out. xtend says drink xtend all day with 4 scoops, if i am just taking it 10m prior to working out, wouldnt 2 scoops be enough?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM #270
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
BCAAs are always beneficial, you can add them whenever...but I'd stick to this method. Xtend obviously want's you using 4 scoops every day for their own financial gain. It's still a good supp, but I'd leave the fast alone. Xtend has the pre-WO beta alanine and citrulline malate, so I use it preWO.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM #271
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
That's going to be SUCH a short fast, and with your level of activity...I'm concerned. You don't want to roll on an full stomach, and you definitely don't want to cut cals too far.

I would add a meal immediately after work, and take in at least 60 g of protein +BCAA (carbless) in multiple feedings over the course of the preworkout window and then just crush as much food as you can before bed. I feel like getting your cals in could be a struggle though.
That's the issue I'm worried about, as well. I'll make it work.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM #272
Laureate
strength beyond strength

eating this pound of chicken is a lot harder than i anticipated

1h 30m in and still haven't finished chicken

Last edited by Laureate : 03-14-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Laureate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM #273
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

Are you serious? Haha...my 1200 calorie post workout takes about 15 minutes and I'm usually embarassed about that.

Lurker, tomorrow I plan to eat my larger meal towards the end of the day, and I was just wondering how you would work that. I'm getting wings with some friends at 9pm, and I plan to eat about 20. Now since it's a non-training day, I'm just keeping them plain or with sauces that lack carbohydrates...so ultimately it won't be an awful meal for that day. Doing a bit of research, I've learned that 20 wings would be around 1500 calories...so since I'm cutting @ 2000, would you suggest I break the fast at my usual time with a 250 calorie meal, eat another 250 calorie meal in between that time and the time I go out, and then just eat the rest of my cals in that final meal? I'm kind of curious...I realize the method is typically to taper calories down as the day goes on, but this happens to be a special occasion. I'm just glad it falls on my non-training day so the protein + fat and lack of carbs from dry-rub wings can fit into the diet.