Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Field design challenge #1, big group, little field.

So last weekend played at the local'ish indoor field's pump night. Good time had by all, quite the well run place.

However there was a minor issue, the field was only setup for 7 vs.7 at most and that was still crowded, and due to the number of players that were there we had to play in 3 shifts (two shifts of the pump players that would have liked to play all together, and one private group). Not faulting the owner at all, I probably would have done the same, but I enjoy a mental challenge so lets see what we can come up with to try and squeeze 30 or so people on a smaller sized field.

So we'll start with a fully turfed field of 170x100 (give or take), with a dead box on either end.

For bunkers assume a full PSP field with a few spares, or start from scratch if you prefer.

Players will be of assorted skill levels, from experienced tournament players to a few renters, with no one group being the majority. Play will of course be fully recreational (assume anyone that insists on a "legit" tournament field didn't show up).

The goal, 15 players per side with everyone having a position to run towards off the start. Multiple players allowed per bunker construct, as long as everyone has a position to play out of. No having queue up being someone and waiting for them to get eliminated or to move in order to shoot at something.

So, what would you do?

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM #2
KartaKeeper
PLAY IT - Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
KartaKeeper is a Moderator
i would charge more $ at peak times, and offer discounts during slow times to spread out the rush and have customers happier all around for getting more playing time.

no matter how you play the numbers it is just too many people at once
KartaKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 PM #3
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
With only a few minutes consideration, maybe a change in game type??

Start with 6/7, fill the box, with every elimination a player fills in, every X minutes 1 player fills in. It will give people a chance to move up and fill in the start bunker. Also calls for a little strategy, try to set up the bunker so the box can't be trapped easily, or a rule to allow the ref to clean a hit upon entry.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM #4
Bloodymurder

Annual Supporting Member
Bloodymurder supports Empire
When you are over-crowding a field with players, I would consider breaking up the lanes a little bit so that they can't be easily shot from the starting box. That'll allow players to get to their starting bunkers, and it will help level out the playing field as far as skill when the more experienced players can't just shoot to space and hope to tag someone occupying it.

Albion College Lacrosse
Bloodymurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM #5
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartaKeeper View Post
no matter how you play the numbers it is just too many people at once
Nah, I've had bigger speedball games. Did a 60 on 60 once, though the field was about 4 times bigger than the current regulation size. It's all about bunker placement and design. Take a stand-up can. Good for one player. Lay it on it's side and now you can fit two comfortably. Or place a small brick next to a vertical can, making an "L" shape, fits 3 with out much issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee72 View Post
With only a few minutes consideration, maybe a change in game type??

Start with 6/7, fill the box, with every elimination a player fills in, every X minutes 1 player fills in. It will give people a chance to move up and fill in the start bunker. Also calls for a little strategy, try to set up the bunker so the box can't be trapped easily, or a rule to allow the ref to clean a hit upon entry.
That has some potential, but might be a bit overly complex. Good outside of the box thinking though.

I've been tossing a few field designs around in my head, I'll see if I can get some drawn up tomorrow. Though pretty much a given the snake and line of doritoes are getting completely removed and redistributed towards the back of the field. Mid field will probably be quite sparse, going for the "no man's land" effect.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM #6
sal briguglio

sal briguglio is a Supporting Member
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends III
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends V
You guys have way to much spare time on your hands! LOL.

Actually, it's an interesting question.

I know you won't like this suggestion: make everyone play with a pistol with limited paint. They would end up chasing each other around bunkers.

Sal.
Proud member of the Master Blasters Traveling Road Show
Proud Supporter of DAN COLBY.
sal briguglio is offline   Reply With Quote