Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM #1
omar1982

Military paintball team

I have been looking into starting a military paintball team. I live in northern Virginia and would really want to make a sponsored team. If anyone knows how to get this started or lives in the area please let me know. The only paintball team for the military is at the academy, which isn't fair and they don't have any skills to really give a combat tested player a hard time.
omar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:13 PM #2
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
Interesting. I know of a Marine team, and AF Team and the Army team. Though, like you said, both the Army and AF are academy teams. But they're actually pretty good. Haven't seen the Marine guys in action. (Or if they're still together?)
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM #3
omar1982

When I was stationed at FT Drum my team played against West Point paintball team and it was a good game but they lost.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:47 PM #4
dilligaf5050

I think there should be a joint services team, that be awesome for recruitment and could help the brass buy off on sponsorship.
dilligaf5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM #5
omar1982

The question is how would a joint team get started? But that is my idea and my biggest dream.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM #6
PhantomDuckie

PhantomDuckie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PhantomDuckie has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The army team has gone though some changes and are competing in the ncpl. Navy and AF academies both have teams now.

As for a join services team, I think that 5 services teams and have our own tournament at a larger tournament like Huntington beach or something like that would be great at least for the first year to get the idea out there.

Doing what I do and getting lost behind emeny lines 1 field at a time.
PhantomDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM #7
the other one
World Peace

has been a member for 10 years
the other one supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptObvious View Post
Interesting. I know of a Marine team, and AF Team and the Army team. Though, like you said, both the Army and AF are academy teams. But they're actually pretty good. Haven't seen the Marine guys in action. (Or if they're still together?)
The Marine team is still around, although a lot of the guys from last season aren't on it anymore (deployments and such). I have too much stuff going on (again) for me to do it, so I just practice sometimes with them.

I blog.
the other one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM #8
omar1982

With all the military cut backs I don't see the Army or the other services signing off on creating a paintball team. But I do think that the paintball industry can and will support a military team. But is this a violation of any military regulation?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM #9
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would contact the Marine Team about what they did, or what they feel they should have done. I was with a group back in 99/00 that tried to set up an impromptu "team" out of Okinawa to hit a few events, all we were hoping to get out of the deal was military flights and maybe some paint. But the effort was half-assed and kinda selfish so it was bound to fail.

When it comes to stuff like this change is not seen as good, they don't want to spend money on unproven ideas. The Marines already have a recruiting presence at some of the NPPL events and they sponsor the X-Games so that's a good start.

To be honest for this to work in the long run the best thing you could do is find people willing to foot the bill themselves for a season or 2 and show some success first. Maybe coordinate with the recruiting efforts already being utilized. Then once you show it's a viable tool you might be able to find some funding.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM #10
Mav
Paintburrets

Annual Supporting Member
Mav posts videos on PbNation
Mav plays in the APPA D5 division
The military does support competitive, interservice sports teams. Examples: http://www.usafsports.com/AllAFSports.htm & http://www.google.com/search?q=world...ient=firefox-a

Now selling paintball, that's a pretty tall order -

Possible positive - The network of MWR paintball programs.

Negative - The Air Force is cutting people, selling a recruiting/ad tool is a little redundant.

Academy programs are personally funded with support from local fields, teams, and associations of graduates. Regulations prevent solicitation of sponsors (by the federal employees). Just an FYI AFA paintball's been around a while and Navy's program has been playing NCPA even longer. Army might be even older....

Edit - And just getting those three programs to the same venue for an exhibition has been impossible due to training requirements. I can't imagine fielding an operational team with how hard everyone is working these days.

Last edited by Mav : 02-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 AM #11
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

The army team has been around a damn long time. They host two scenario events a year, and have been for...a looooong *** time. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3503957

And if I remember correctly, the Academies do play each other, though they dont typically show up at the same event. (That I know of).
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM #12
Mav
Paintburrets

Annual Supporting Member
Yeah I know. I played for USAFA 04-08... and no, there has not been an event specifically for AF, Army, and Navy. During the most recent attempt to piggyback on a football contingent, the other visiting team could not make it. Historically, we have taken field time at Nationals or football contingents to get at least one intercollegiate Academy match in.

And for the record, my squad held the Commander In Chief Trophy the whole time I was there. The other two teams have been more dominant in recent seasons.

Last edited by Mav : 02-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 AM #13
omar1982

Who said anything about soliciting? I just want to know how they would help a military based team get started so that the military can sign off on getting its own team. While I was deployed I contacted the all army office to pitch my idea and I was blown off as expected. So the only option that I have came up with is to start an unofficial DOD team and try to pump the paintball media to show the military as a paintball force.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 AM #14
Mav
Paintburrets

Annual Supporting Member
The point is if you are looking to market yourself as a DOD team your hands may be tied in seeking any corporate sponsorship. We could not go up to someone like Empire and ask for sponsorships. You're looking to approach *civilian* organizations to help a *military* team. That is "soliciting" sponsorship. It may have just be an AFA reg and I would suggest going to legal and talking over the issues involved.

Aside - We never really had a problem finding sponsorships unofficial and official. People and companies are willing to help out in many different ways.

Anyhow, I'm not opposed to the project I'm just making sure you're aware of possible issues.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM #15
omar1982

As said there are loop holes and I believe that I found one. More to come later.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM #16
PhantomDuckie

You should really talk to Doobie, you can find him in the scenario talk forum usually as one of the first posters on the west point combat classic ( I think). He knows alot about the US Army and tippmann agreement and a few other things. He just retired last year as a master stg I think. Anyways, talk to him he will have alot of good info, and know how you should approach this.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM #17
omar1982

Well I was trying get Fort Meade's MWR to assist with setting up a location for the team to practice. Once I was informed that they do not own the land that there paintball range is on or do they trust individuals that do not work for MWR to take proper care of there bunkers. 2nd ID had a paintball team that competed at the PSP world cup in 2008. There MWR assisted with the creation of that team. This week I plan on talking with the administration clerks in JAG to see if there is any way that I can get around the legality of military regulation. I told you guys to stay tuned, if anyone has any ideas let me know.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM #18
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

Thats weird that the MWR isn't helping too much. The MWR at Nellis helped me out with my team when I was stationed there.
Headbangers on Facebook
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM #19
Doobie

Annual Supporting Member
Doobie is a founding member
Doobie supports our troops
Watching this now. I have to study for a marketing test tonight. More to follow from my hide site later.

BTW...The West Point team is the oldest College team in the Nation and the oldest service academy team.

MASTER BLASTERS!
http://zodiacpb.com/
Honorary member of the 518 Brigade
http://fullclipusa.com
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 PM #20
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
The Army paintball site is better designed then my units....wow.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 PM #21
PhantomDuckie

Glad your here Doobie, I know you will be able to shed some light on this topic and help these guys out.