Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 AM #1
bublz707
Call Me Space Cowboy

bublz707 is playing at Living Legends III
bublz707 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bublz707 supports Team VICIOUS
Opinions/Facts on Dog Aggressiveness

How convenient is this Pet section!

Last week i was assigned to write a persuasive essay. our teacher made the class go around saying what our topic was going to be. After about five people went this girls topic was "Aggression in dogs is trained and not genetic". i personally disagree with this and i said so aloud and now the teacher is making me do a persuasive essay on it.

I would like some Facts/Opinions from you members here.

My opinion is that dogs have a natural aggression, some more than others, Pitbulls, Rotty's, those types of dogs certainly do have a lot more aggression than other because they were bred for fighting and it has been passed down in their genetics. A dog like a Lab may not be noticeably aggressive but if it is aggravated enough or needs to defend itself then it will be aggressive without the trainers/owners consent.

Yes animals CAN BE trained to be aggressive and fight but people like police choose German Shepherds for a reason along with my people that fight dogs choose Pitbull Terriors and what not.

Now i would like the nations opinions ands facts if possibly

I'd like to see a debate kinda thing goin on. but never know what the nation will dish out..
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 AM #2
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

the_silly_taco is reppin' sidebar 4 life
granted there are some dog breeds that are bred to be aggressive most aggression that you see with dogs is fear based. when a dog is in a situation were it does not feel like it can trust anyone (even if its something as specific as dogs that hate men) they will bite because they have no other way of comunicating their thoughts, dogs give people signs to leave them alone but for the most part people cant see them and end up getting bit. another situation is when dogs dominate their owners and the dog feels that it needs to make all the decisions, so when meeting new people or dogs they may not know what to do and become territorial.

but if you want some specific examples of dogs that are naturally aggressive check out the Tosa Inu. the thing you have to also realize is that most dogs are not bred to be human aggressive, at most animal aggressive and that is primarily for their original intent of use(such as the Tosa Inu who was bred specifically for dog fighting).

and as far as shepherds being aggressive they were mostly bred to not trust strangers but to tolerate them. they are a working dog and when the breed was created they were solely a working dog and only had to answer to hand full of people.

Last edited by the_silly_taco : 02-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.
the_silly_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 AM #3
jk178206

jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jk178206 supports Team VICIOUS
jk178206 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
As far as pitbulls and rots. I don't think that they are naturally aggressive. When cities/states try banning these types of dogs based on the fact that they are just mean dogs, its a load of bull. In my opinion, a dogs personality comes from how it was raised, and the environment it was raised in. I have 3 friends with pitbulls, one has 3 of them, my other friend has a rottweiler, and another has 2 dobermans. All 6 of these dogs are just as well behaved as my golden retriever, and any other dog I've ever had. They act like you would expect a dog to act. I wouldn't mind my kids playing with them, if I had any lol. Now you put a dog in an environment where it's beaten, and neglected. Then you might end up having issues, for the same reason Taco explained, the dogs are in fear, causing them to act out. Just my opinion on the whole thing
Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM #4
DINNER_CAT
The one and only

has been a member for 10 years
protection drive=/= aggression
Shout out to the women playing yall position
I be moving through my city like a politician
DINNER_CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM #5
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by bublz707 View Post
How convenient is this Pet section!

My opinion is that dogs have a natural aggression, some more than others, Pitbulls, Rotty's, those types of dogs certainly do have a lot more aggression than other because they were bred for fighting and it has been passed down in their genetics. A dog like a Lab may not be noticeably aggressive but if it is aggravated enough or needs to defend itself then it will be aggressive without the trainers/owners consent.
Actually, most small dogs in my experience, and anyone I know are WAY more aggressive than the "bully breeds". Yes, some of the larger dogs take a bit more training to gain dominance over, but ask any vet what bites them more, a chihuahua or a pitbull. I can almost guarantee you'll get the first answer. the reason the bigger dogs get picked on more, is because the 1 time a rott bites someone, it messes them up. A small dog bites you 30 times, you just kick it off your ankle.

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM #6
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

the dogs with the most reported bites are actually dachshunds. they were bred to chase a much bigger animal (badger) out of its home which happens to be underground. again you cant really blame the dog for its aggression because people keep breeding dogs with aggressive traits which would make them good working dogs but are instead kept as pets.

not the best article but it gives a quick outline of the data as far as bites go.
http://fortheloveofthedogblog.com/ne...ds-dachshund-1

the biggest problem for most dogs now days is that 100 or even less years ago when people use to farm many of what we consider aggressive traits were prized for dogs that actually had a job to do. alot of boarder collies have such strong instincts to heard that they cannot be left with kids because they will heard them into corners. this is not the dogs fault as much as it is the owners not giving the animal a proper outlet for its behavior. Dogs now days are starting to be bred as pets and many breeds are having two types of dogs; the working and the show(or pet).
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 PM #7
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if you are talking about dog aggression towards other dogs you are spot on. a lot of breeds are just more dog aggressive it is a fact. pit bulls are some of the most loving family oriented dogs there are with people. they are also way more likely to get into a fight with another dog. they were bred for a long time to fight. it isn't their fault.
mastiffs are very dog aggressive generally too. just the way they are. but most owners will tell you there dogs are very in tune to how they feel and unless you dont like a person the dog will get along great with people.

obviously environment plays a part. some dogs become aggressive from 1 bad experience. genetics does play a part as well.

Ive also heard that about dachsunds. a lot of smaller dogs bites probably dont get reported.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM #8
Dk-79
SCHWING!

Dk-79 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
When a little chiuaua starts snarling and barring it's teeth people think it's cute.

If my pit were to behave like that, they would tell me to put it down.

Dogs, Like people, are products of their environment and upbringing. Female pits are usually territorial, which is why they will **** **** UP that comes into it's yard. Especially if they are in heat or have puppies.

All dogs are driven by hierarchy. If you let a 110 point pitbull make you it's *****, you will never be the master and you will always be under the dogs will. And while yes, pits are capable of doing a lot of damage.

It's the ****ed up owner who doesn't know how to raise a dog that ruins it for everyone. They see that they are badass dogs and that's the sole reason they buy them. They don't train them, socialize them, or establish that the dog is under humans will.

If a person was raised in a home, never allowed to leave, never allowed to be with other people and the only thing it's parent's/master allow are agressive things like hanging from a tire, you're going to have a ****ed up animal. Be it dog or human.

How you raise your dog is how it will be. There are subtle personality tweaks from dog to dog, but they're all fairly close to the same. When they're puppies. You don't want to adopt an older dog that someone ****ed up mentally and brought it to the pound because they created a monster.

It's those people that need to be in jail.
Dk-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 PM #9
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
definatly right about a lot of owners not knowing how to be the dominant one. still some dogs are socialized and have good owners and they just get aggressive. sometimes at maturity/adulthood. sometimes a bad experience like getting attacked sets them into a permanent always aggressive state towards other dogs.

all are different but i think genetics/breed plays a big part. probably in some cases more than the owners/upbringing.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM #10
/-\dam
****in Yut

I had 7 GSDs growing up, not all at once. Only one was so aggressive that we had to give her up. She bit my friend, we thought she was scared by an ATV, then she bit a relative, so we started looking for a new place for her.

Out of all of them, she was the only one remotely like that and you would not know it if she was part of your family.

We had a few that would block the steps to the front door to strangers, but would never growl or become aggressive and could still be pet at the same time.

Dogs are like guns, the only reason who need to be worried about them is if the owner is an idiot, with very isolated incidents.

Speaking of this makes me miss them

Tennessee Titans

Last edited by /-\dam : 02-04-2011 at 08:05 PM.
/-\dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 PM #11
bublz707
Call Me Space Cowboy

so what it sounds like you guys are saying is that yes dogs are aggressive but you must train it out of them. a well trained pit is going to be affectionate, but if it was not trained so well then it will have aggression issues.

i havent heard anything about pitbulls or dogs being trained to be violent and that is what im looking for.

dog aggression is from genetics and not trained.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 PM #12
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

pits are naturally people dogs, it doesnt take any training to make them acceptable around humans. they are iffy with dogs but a fighting dog and a pit who doesnt like other dogs have two different mentalities going. when you train a dog like a pit to fight it is not doing it because it hates the other dog, its doing it because a pit are extremely loyal and will not hesitate to die for their owner if it comes to it, and that is why people fight them. say two dogs are fighting and then you take one of the dog's owners out of the room, that dog won't know what to do and will cower and probably be killed. another thing is that most people don't know how insane it is to breed a champion fight dog and the traumatic events they have to go through.

there are a variety of ways to do it but one of the common ways around the chicago area is to stick a litter of puppies in a dark room with only water. the dogs will eventually kill the weakest and eat them, one at a time. once one dog is left they breed that dog with the another dog who went through the same ordeal. you do that 4+ times and you have one of the strongest dogs mentally, but also a dog that has no clue what it is to live outside of a cage and fight. many dogs bred like that have never seen the sun because they live in basements, so say the dog doesnt live up to owners expectations they either kill it or let it go and since it has never been outside or had a positive interaction with a person who knows what it will do.

i would say the majority of inner city pit attacks happen in some fashion like that, and most of those dogs are not even "full" pits. they mix alot of other breeds in for size purposes such as boxers for height.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM #13
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_silly_taco View Post
pits are naturally people dogs, it doesnt take any training to make them acceptable around humans. they are iffy with dogs but a fighting dog and a pit who doesnt like other dogs have two different mentalities going.
Exactly right.

American Pit Bull Terriers often have issues with dog aggression, as they were bred to fight dogs. However, human aggression is very rare with true APBTs because they weren't bred to be aggressive towards humans; in fact, the American Temperament Testing Society has tested thousands of APBTs and found them to be among the most stable of breeds.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM #14
bublz707
Call Me Space Cowboy

im not talking about aggression towards humans only, and im not talking about aggression towards other dogs only. i mean in general dog aggression period.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM #15
05 sp33d

some of the meanest dogs i've known were labs... and lab mixes. their behavior is largely a result of their environment imo.
05 sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM #16
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublz707 View Post
im not talking about aggression towards humans only, and im not talking about aggression towards other dogs only. i mean in general dog aggression period.
there really is to many reasons as to why a dog can be aggressive and to attempt to explain them through the internet is not really the easiest thing to do so ill try one more time.

as far as "general" aggression goes i would say that the largest reason for aggression would be lack of socialization and/or the dog thinks it is more dominant than its owner. either way the dog doesn't really now how to act in most situations (this is due to the fact that humans run the world not dogs) so it turns to the fight or flight response.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM #17
Nalayah

I've lived with around 15 different dogs through my short life, the only time I've ever had issues with aggression with any of them, it was usually caused by history or being provoked. A rottweiler bit me in the cheek, but I was running around it trying to tease it. My girlfriend's miniature dachshund growled and barked at me when he first met me, but he was rescued from a puppy mill by the humane society and was poorly socialized. One recent one was nearly getting bit by a chihuahua. I raised and threw my hands down in frustration, he was lying next to me. He was beat in the past, and that set him into rage.

Dk put it best, too much of it is in the upbringing of a dog rather than the breeds. However, you're writing a persuasive essay for what, high school? Just find some sources that match your opinion and base your paper on those. But please take something from this thread.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote