PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM #1
Underachievers-buck
Rampage Paintball

Gridding out the field

I have been spray painting lines on my field about every other weekend to get a nice grid field. This is starting to add up real fast. I was at a ball game last night and i noticed those flags they use to put on teh field to mark the unused bases. has anyone every used those to mark out there field? if so where did you get them, did you put the steel pipe in the ground?
Underachievers-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2010, 04:39 PM #2
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
I use plastic ground stakes on my sidelines to give me a point of reference. They're spaced out to match the gridding on the PSP fields. I found the stakes at the local Menards and was able to get two different colors. I have a yellow stake every 30 feet and orange stakes every 10 feet between those on the sidelines. I then put a yellow rope through them to mark the boundaries and to make it easier to see the stakes. It's not necessary to put the stakes along the ends of the fields, just the sidelines.

When it comes time to grid the field, we use a couple of 200' tape measures and some marking paint to mark where the bunkers go. We don't mark out the grids, just the bunker locations. This only takes two cans of paint and about 45 minutes of work for two people.

When we mark out where the bunkers go, we just mark the reference points on the grid. We have a sort of shorthand that we use to show orientation of the bunkers. The shorthand is comprised of four symbols (T, L, +, and <). The first three symbols show the intersections of the grid lines and where the bunker should go. If it's a T, the bunker straddles the vertical leg of the T. If it's an L, a corner of the bunker goes in the intersection of the L. If it's a +, the bunker sits on top of the plus. The < is used to show where to put a corner of a dorito. The dead center of the field is usually marked with an X.

It's a simple system and it's something I can explain in about 5 minutes to anyone setting up the field. Including labor and paint, the cost is about $30 each time we have to mark out the layout.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field

Last edited by TargetIndy : 03-27-2013 at 05:59 PM.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM #3
Tim@Kick'n
Kick'n Paintball Park

Tim@Kick'n plays in the PSP
Tim@Kick'n plays in the APPA Semi Pro division
Madcow paintball in Nebraska had little plastic marker thingys (I have no idea what they are called. And I googled alot of different things and I couldnt find them) Theres alot of pics from the last Vicious event that was there on Pennerpics.com. Thats the only place I could find pics of the markers.

I would guess that you would have to remove them everytime you mow but it would be a one time investment. They had the markers all over the field and you dont even notice them if you dive or slide on them.
GI SPORTZ--SOCIAL--GI VISION--EXALT--V FORCE--PLANET ECLIPSE
KICKNPAINTBALLPARK.COM
Tim@Kick'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM #4
wdlong1

We use flush ground stakes every 10 feet. The spikes are fairly cheap (the cheaper ones on this site), lawn mower does not hit them and they have lasted awhile.

http://www.usspecialtycoatings.com/g...kers.aspx#Page

We always striped the entire field in the past, in 2 directions. We were using a case of paint/month. I like the idea of just marking where the bunkers are -- we are going to try this. One advantage of the stripes is we can redesign the field layout very quickly and perfectly accurately. Personally I hate playing on a field that is askew -- screws up the angles.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM #5
Misha"mole"yelich
MISHKA

Misha"mole"yelich supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@Kick'n View Post
Madcow paintball in Nebraska had little plastic marker thingys (I have no idea what they are called. And I googled alot of different things and I couldnt find them) Theres alot of pics from the last Vicious event that was there on Pennerpics.com. Thats the only place I could find pics of the markers.

I would guess that you would have to remove them everytime you mow but it would be a one time investment. They had the markers all over the field and you dont even notice them if you dive or slide on them.
You don't have to move the markers you can mow right over them and it just cuts the plastic bristles flush with the grass.
Misha"mole"yelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM #6
wisk
$$ G R E E D $$

has been a member for 10 years
wisk plays in the PSP
wisk donated to help Peyton Trent
wisk plays in the APPA D3 division
wisk supports Empire
I have heard of using some sort of weed killer for making the stripes. Sounds like a good idea if you can keep from wiping out your entire field. Its always there and you don't have to repaint or worry about running over with the mower.
wisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 PM #7
mikekwb

mikekwb plays in the PSP
mikekwb owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mikekwb supports Team VICIOUS
mikekwb plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:

yea Tim those things was nice, MPG has them also. but those things the guy after you posted is nice too especially how you can tie a string from one to another
mikekwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM #8
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisk View Post
I have heard of using some sort of weed killer for making the stripes. Sounds like a good idea if you can keep from wiping out your entire field. Its always there and you don't have to repaint or worry about running over with the mower.
On that note a propane torch, you could just burn the perimeter and some reference lines then fill with paint, or just burn the whole thing.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM #9
wisk
$$ G R E E D $$

wisk plays in the PSP
wisk donated to help Peyton Trent
wisk plays in the APPA D3 division
wisk supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee72 View Post
On that note a propane torch, you could just burn the perimeter and some reference lines then fill with paint, or just burn the whole thing.
There ya go.
wisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:26 PM #10
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
You can also just mark/dot the INTERSECTIONS instead of whole lines.

Mark out every 10 feet along the length of the field on each sideline (plus the midpoint of the sideline). Take a 140' rope and run it side-to-side, and measure out every 12.5 feet (10' for the first and last intervals for 120' wide PSP layouts) and spray a dot each 10 feet. Then take the rope and move it up the field 10', spray each dot again (don't have to measure this time as the rope is now painted from the first cross-line.) Repeat 15 more times and you have a grid.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 AM #11
laxplayer9352
USMC

laxplayer9352 is a Supporting Member
laxplayer9352 is a Paintball photographer
laxplayer9352 supports our troops
laxplayer9352 plays in the APPA D3 division
laxplayer9352 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
You can also just mark/dot the INTERSECTIONS instead of whole lines.

Mark out every 10 feet along the length of the field on each sideline (plus the midpoint of the sideline). Take a 140' rope and run it side-to-side, and measure out every 12.5 feet (10' for the first and last intervals for 120' wide PSP layouts) and spray a dot each 10 feet. Then take the rope and move it up the field 10', spray each dot again (don't have to measure this time as the rope is now painted from the first cross-line.) Repeat 15 more times and you have a grid.

- Chris

More along this mentality in maintaining a perfect grid that never changes, versus bunker locations that change per layout.

We had plastic stakes along the sidelines marking each grid line (12.5' & 10') and then after the grass is cut, it is very easy to run a rope between the stakes on either side and paint the intersections. Ensures there is always a grid on the field (usually only has to be done when changing layouts, but once the initial sidelines are squared off, it only takes 15-20min to completely re-grid the entire field.
laxplayer9352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM #12
plastic

We grid the field almost every weekend, and do exactly what Raehl recommended. Doesn't use much paint, and we finish pretty quickly.
plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 PM #13
Trips

Trips plays in the PSP
Trips plays in the APPA beginner division
We used T-Posts driven into the ground all the way around the field (NPPL Regulation size) at the corners across both backs and down the sidelines all were covered with 10' tall 2.5" white pvc. Everything was gridded out using this system. The inital cost was quickly negated in the time savings (employee costs) of laying out the field correctly the first time.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM #14
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:

Here's a link to those markers. They're called marking whiskers.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM #15
pinky
Vintage Paintball

pinky is a founding member
pinky is a Professional paintball player
pinky is an Ultimate field/store owner
pinky plays in the USPL
pinky plays in the PSP
pinky plays in the APPA Pro division
Thanks Target, I've been looking for those!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 PM #16
Dunn

The field i used to work at we just measured along the sides and used flourescent yellow string..then after we set all the bunkers up we pulled the string out..so a stake every 10 feet or whatever on each side then a string to connect them..worked out good idk there are probably better ways.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM #17
Winger CT
Mouthy Mimes X.O.

Excuse a random comment here, but the mention of weed killer reminded me of one of the greatest pranks I've ever seen that might actually be useful for you guys.

I don't know the back story, but someone apparently got really irked at a homeowner I once drove by. The target had a very large lawn sloping down to the street , and someone had apparently used a fertilizer spreader to write a terse description of the resident using some sort of high potency fertilizer in 10' letters.

I saw it in late summer, and the dark green letters were still very readable. :lol:

Are your fields lines permanent enough to try that approach?

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

Visit us on Facebook
and Visit some of our terrific Sponsors!
Winger CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM #18
coltman887
self proclamed genius

coltman887 is a Supporting Member
coltman887 plays in the PSP
coltman887 is an NCPA player
coltman887 plays in the APPA D3 division
The marking whiskers that (as everyone has stated) are in my opinion one of the better ways of marking out the field.

The best way I've seen this done was my local field had a surveyor come out and actually grid the field out with his surveying equipment. Sure this was probably expensive, but in my view it is the the best way to insure that a field is gridded correctly. I mean, using the best technology available to grid the field/intersections is always a win over human error in my book

My Old Feedback:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=333743

My New Feedback:
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=25854
coltman887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM #19
JUJU
Eat it BEEOTCHES

Annual Supporting Member
JUJU is a founding member
JUJU plays in the PSP
JUJU plays in the APPA D4 division
JUJU supports Empire
Marking Whiskers are the best, you can get 200 of them things for like $50 and they last forever and perfect to grid out a whole field.

Contact me on deals for the new Vanquish or Impulse

KW Factory & RIOT Paintball Team

KW Paintball Field Owner
www.kwpaintball.com
JUJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM #20
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
Stepchild plays in the PSP
I just bought a box of 500 whiskers, brand new off ebay for like $40.00. Then home depot for the nails to stake them down at .08 a piece.
Dirt Products
www.blitzpaintball.net www.planeteclipse.com www.hustlepaintball.com

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 AM #21
jtcrowder49

jtcrowder49 is an NCPA player
jtcrowder49 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
jtcrowder49 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jtcrowder49 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
We use the plastic lids you would get off of a peanut can. I'm not sure how to describe them other than the those plastic yellow planters lids. They are spaced every 10 feet around the field. To hold the in place we use 5 inch nails I believe. The to grid we run up and down then across the field. Surprisingly the lids have stayed in place for a couple months now. The rec players hardly notice them and when you step on them you can't even tell they are there.

DO NOT DEAL WITH GUNDOPAINTBALL!!!!
jtcrowder49 is offline   Reply With Quote