Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: When should field layouts be released?
8 weeks before the event? 66 47.14%
2 weeks before the event? 27 19.29%
The weekend before the event? 8 5.71%
At the event only? 39 27.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 PM #43
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
What if they released the field layout the night before, like at the captains meeting. It will slowly ease teams into having to get used to walking the fields and having it released the day of. If you have teams that have been used to having the event released weeks in advance and then suddenly change it on them, they may be driven away and not want to play the events. If yo give them the layout at the captains meeting the night before, it still gives teams the chance to see the layout and strategies, yet it also makes them walk the field in the morning and see what it is like for the first time.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 PM #44
dirty907
Say my name!

dirty907 is a Supporting Member
Just FYI, PSP is no longer releasing field layouts aghead of the event. Hopefully NPPL will follow soon.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 PM #45
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty907 View Post
Just FYI, PSP is no longer releasing field layouts aghead of the event. Hopefully NPPL will follow soon.
Agreed.
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 PM #46
ehos

ehos owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Actually if the NPPL was smart, they would do nothing. Keep status quo as their competitor has made changes.
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 AM #47
dirty907
Say my name!

dirty907 is a Supporting Member
I'd still like to see the layouts for tournaments in general not be released until the day before the event. Not just Nppl, but every tournament series...
Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM #48
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehos View Post
Actually if the NPPL was smart, they would do nothing. Keep status quo as their competitor has made changes.
venice empire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM #49
CharlieFox01
A member of the Crew

CharlieFox01 supports Bob Gurnsey
In music anyone can rehearse and perfect a song but, true talent is to be able to sight read music.
That comes from hours of practicing basics like scales and all the variations.

The ability to read a field, to see the lanes and blind spots is the real skill of Paintball.
Playing open class Pump I've had the good fortune to play with some old school ballers and to watch them look over a field and instinctively know where to go and shoot which is just amazing.
Rather than spending time rehearsing for a specific layout, practice the basics like drills and communication.
Scrimmage on a number of different layouts the more the better.
Most important learn to walk fields.

In this day and age you can probably get away with 1 or 2 players arriving early to walk the fields, draw it up or video it and share that electronically with the other players.

Last edited by CharlieFox01 : 12-11-2010 at 09:41 AM.
CharlieFox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 AM #50
little_pballer

my thoughts are this. Let PSP try it and see how it works out for them. =)

NURV
NAUGHTY DOGS SILVER
FIERCE
UPRISING
little_pballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM #51
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
I gotta say idk what you guys are talking about saving money... our team will still havebthe same poor *** jobs and will still only be able to afford $xx every week and we will still shoot the same amount of paint.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM #52
Image rkelly
The comeback.....

Image rkelly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Image rkelly is for the Gunfight
A lil Old school is back, luv the change walking the field b4 you play. Thk god real balln is bk let the cutting angles and playas without tunnel vison shine. NPPL I GV YOU A BIG DAT A BOY for the change. Just as long as the fields don't get leaked..........

SUPAFLY headbands voted the best by everyone who owens one...PM me for info

SUPAFLY headbands...get one for your dome piece..pm me
Image rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM #53
YLballa

YLballa owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
in my opinion, idk if its been said yet but..
if it was the day of the event it would either equal a bunch of slow games or super fast games all depends on who really studies the layouts
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post84016233
YLballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM #54
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
IMO too much is done about field layouts and not enough to make sure the lower teams get the best value for their money. Making sure they too "want to come back"! By Sunday the "other" fields are being taken down and the (newer) teams that didn't make the playoffs are done and played too few games for their money.

IMO Paintball is a player's sport - not a spectators sport. Once teams have been eliminated they should be allowed to go to fields and play among themselves. The team on deck should ref the team playing - that way they can learn how to ref and learn how tough a job reffing is. Maybe turn the guns down to 10 or 12 to improve skills and save on paint. While everyone likes to win, prizes are unimportant and should be mostly about taking home a trophy and bragging rights.

First job is making sure that everyone has a good time and gets their monies worth. Second job is getting to (getting back to) where the average guy you see playing paintball can play in a tournament, not just smaller players with rockets on their feet. Yes, absolutely, the fast guy with skills should win - but because he is a better player. Not because, on the 50, the bunkers are so small that a guy of 6' 2'" and 250 pounds can't fit behind the bunker.
One of the great things about Paintball just a few years ago (before X Ball) was how inclusive it was. Now we look at people and say "they can't play" Used to be even a few girls teams playing.

As to the question of field layouts: Posting early undeniably gives the advantage to the team with money. I say having money gives them an advantage already. They don't need another advantage. Let everyone walk the field together, talk it over, see the other teams, find their friends and the guy that bunkered them in the neck - figure out that, while he left the field hating that guy, he's really a nice guy, before and after the event. Paintball is a lifestyle. Part of that is mingling with the other players, what better way to do that then walking the fields.
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM #55
bodnar41
Game...Blouses

I haven't played since 2008. I like the idea of not releasing the layouts. Whether it gives another team an advantage of the other? you can argue that both ways. I think it will bring more strategy and creativeness to the game. instead of practicing for 4 weeks on the fields and learning all the shots before the even, your team has one day to look at the fields and be more creative then the other team. You have to find the shots that other teams may not, and that brings more of a creative twist/more instinct to the game.
bodnar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:21 PM #56
epik808
RED TURTLE MEDIA

epik808 posts videos on PbNation
epik808 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
some how if its secret, it will be leaked to people close to the organization. just give it to everyone to silence any and all speculation of cheating. how can players on the board of directors not show it to their teams.

just release it already

OLD FEEDBACK
+33 old feedback +35 new=68 100%positive
HAWAII PAINTBALL VIDEOS
epik808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM #57
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
Or maybe have 3 or 5 done before. Then have a long legged Betty pick it out of a hat... just the other side of that thought, more for conversations sake than because I think i't s great idea
...except for the long legged Betty, which is always a great idea
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote