PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM #64
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Okay, I really don't understand the nature of this thread. While a dog's disposition is certainly influenced by their environment, I think it would be pretty fair to say that pitbulls are more pre-disposed to attack than other breeds. On top of that, when they do attack, it's not a bite like it would be from many dogs, they go for the kill. You must have more respect for the danger a pitbull presents, or you're just asking to put it in a situation that won't turn out well for anyone, including the dog.

There's just no arguing with statistics.

Dangerous Dog Breed Statistics
Analyzing a sampling of press accounts from Canada and the USA during 1982-2007, researchers pinpointed the dog breeds that are most likely to cause death or serious injury. This research study concluded that, unlike any other breed of dog, Pitbulls attacked adults almost as often as they attacked children. The researchers found that Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Wolf-Dog Hybrids combined to account for:

•77% of attacks that caused bodily harm to the injured dog bite victims.
•73% of attacks that harmed children.
•83% of attacks that injured adults.
•70% of attacks that resulted in death.
•77% of attacks that maimed the dog attack victims.
Another study looked at data obtained from incidents where victims were mauled by dogs during 1982-2006 and found that Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Perro de Presa Canario, and their mixes caused 65% of the dog bite deaths during that time period in the United States.

Some sources claim that the six types of dogs commonly identified as the most dangerous or vicious dog breeds are Akitas, Chow-Chows, Doberman Pinschers, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Wolf-Dog Hybrids.

Another study looked at a selection of 88 dog attacks from 2006-2008 in the United States, with results ranging from recoverable injuries to death. Of those incidents, it was found that:

•Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and American Bulldogs were responsible for 77% of all deaths.
•Pit Bulls were responsible for 59% of all deaths.
•Pit Bulls killed more adults than children.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 PM #65
pbFreAK42069
FSU KIDS

pbFreAK42069 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pbFreAK42069 supports Team VICIOUS
pbFreAK42069 is for the Gunfight
pbFreAK42069 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Okay, I really don't understand the nature of this thread. While a dog's disposition is certainly influenced by their environment, I think it would be pretty fair to say that pitbulls are more pre-disposed to attack than other breeds. On top of that, when they do attack, it's not a bite like it would be from many dogs, they go for the kill. You must have more respect for the danger a pitbull presents, or you're just asking to put it in a situation that won't turn out well for anyone, including the dog.

Analyzing a sampling of press accounts from Canada and the USA during 1982-2007, researchers pinpointed the dog breeds that are most likely to cause death or serious injury. This research study concluded that, unlike any other breed of dog, Pitbulls attacked adults almost as often as they attacked children. The researchers found that Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Wolf-Dog Hybrids combined to account for:

Another study looked at data obtained from incidents where victims were mauled by dogs during 1982-2006 and found that Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Perro de Presa Canario, and their mixes caused 65% of the dog bite deaths during that time period in the United States.

Some sources claim that the six types of dogs commonly identified as the most dangerous or vicious dog breeds are Akitas, Chow-Chows, Doberman Pinschers, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Wolf-Dog Hybrids.

Another study looked at a selection of 88 dog attacks from 2006-2008 in the United States, with results ranging from recoverable injuries to death. Of those incidents, it was found that:

•Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and American Bulldogs were responsible for 77% of all deaths.
Great job with all the statistics ...... This is a thread for pitbull owners and the discussion of said pitbulls. That would be the point of the thread to answer that difficult question for you. So next time before you troll a thread and start posting read a first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althaus68 View Post

Welcome to the PbNation Pitbull Thread!, This thread is to help raise awareness for the bully breed. Show off your Bully, talk about them, and even find out more information on the bully breed. WARNING: We do not allow any type of negativity towards the breed, if you don't have something nice to say, DON'T SAY IT. violators will be reported
pbFreAK42069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 PM #66
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Facts are facts. Whether you read them as positive or negative is your choice. And I am following the rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althaus68 View Post
Welcome to the PbNation Pitbull Thread!, This thread is to help raise awareness for the bully breed. Show off your Bully, talk about them, and even find out more information on the bully breed. WARNING: We do not allow any type of negativity towards the breed, if you don't have something nice to say, DON'T SAY IT. violators will be reported
My friend has two pitbulls, they're really cool dogs, very fun. Believe it or not, my post is only an attempt to save dogs and people a lot of hurt. All dogs can be dangerous, but Pitbulls are more dangerous than most breeds. That's just the way it is. Completely ignoring that fact as you seem to be doing in a majority of this thread will only lead to heartache.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM #67
Slacker04
I wanna talk to SAMSON

Slacker04 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
As with any dog, its all about the disposition of the animal. Some pity's i've met i wouldn't suggest being around kids. Part of that is the owner, who doesn't put them around other kids/people/animals at a young age. Mainly, i'd say that a pit bull can make a great pet for ANYONE. It is all dependent on the dog. Some pity's are stronger willed than others and in that case i'd say that a more experienced dog owner (like myself) should take care of them.

As with people, environment that they are raised in effects their behavior as an adult much greater than their breeding.

on a more positive note... puppy is people.

UNIVERSITY of PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

Slacker04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM #68
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:

The thing is, there are two major sides on this debate. You have people like yourself, who view APBTs as threats, and you have others, who argue that they're just like any other dog.

Both are wrong.

Honestly, the most knowledgeable individuals on the breed are the dogmen in states like Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi, who have been breeding and fighting these dogs for generations. As you pointed out, this breed is unlike any other in that its physical disposition lends itself to destruction. In short, an APBT, with its high pain tolerance and 'gameness,' can really **** you up if it wants to. That's something that many of the soccer moms who go out and rescue these dogs need to understand. They can be weapons if not handled properly.

However, the problem with some of the statistics you posted is that the criteria is inherently biased and thus flawed.

For example, the name "Pit Bull" is just a nickname for a group of dogs used in dogfighting. The American Pit Bull Terrier is the true bearer of this name. However, few people can actually consistently recognize APBTs, which leads to false reports of Pitbull maulings.

This is an American Pit Bull Terrier:

They are medium-sized dogs, about 35-60 pounds.

Now, I'm going to show you some other dogs commonly mistaken for APBTs in order to illustrate many of the misconceptions surrounding the breed:

This is a Cane Corso. It is not an APBT:

Note the similarities: like the APBT, it is short-haired, muscular, and large-headed. But they are not the same breed.

This is a Presa Canario. Also not an APBT:

They look similar, right?

This is an American Bulldog:

This is a Tosa Inu:

See what I'm getting at? When many people refer to pit bulls, they're really referring to around 20-30 different breeds that look similar, but are not APBTs. This leads to massive confusion, especially in news stories where reporters don't bother to check facts because pit bull mauling stories sell better (and this is widely admitted).

For example, this summer, I read a story about a 100-pound pit bull biting a woman. However, as noted above, an APBT is 35-60 pounds. The dog reported in the news story was not an APBT. Of course, no one will redact that story and that incident will mistakenly go into pit bull bite statistics along with countless other similar stories.

Furthermore, pit bull-type dogs, including unregistered dogs, are the most popular breed in the United States. Frankly, there are too many of them. To make matters worse, many of these dogs are owned by ****ing idiots who shouldn't own any dog, much less a pit. These owners just acquire these dogs for the image and status it gives them and essentially create monsters. That's why you have so many incidents.

Many local governments have responded with pit bull bans to counter this problem, however, statistics show that bans on pit bulls have not reduced dog bite numbers. "After the United Kingdom banned pit bulls in the 1990s, a study showed that the number of dog bites remained the same even though the number of pit bulls had steeply declined."

Interesting. What those stats show is that even if pit bulls are banned, there will be idiot owners who just move on to other tough breeds, like Rotts or something similar. Basically, removing pits from the equation will not reduce bites because owners are the primary problem.

Another thing you need to account for is the APBT has one of the best temperaments of all dog breeds.

The American Temperament Testing Society tested 772 APBTs for temperament related issues and passed them at a rate of 86%.

How did other, less-dangerous dogs do?

The Beagle checked in with an 80% rate.
The Basset Hound came in at 85.7%.
Yorkshire Terriers had a rate of 82.5%.
Pomeranians came in at 75.8%

What about the beloved Golden Retriever?

84.6 percent.

That's right, in temperament tests that included hundreds and hundreds of dogs, American Pit Bull Terriers passed tests at higher rates than Golden Retrievers.

Source.

The fact is, a purebred APBT - not a Presa Canario, Cane Corso, etc. - is one of the most stable breeds in the United States.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM #69
Slacker04
I wanna talk to SAMSON

most of those numbers can be linked to over breeding. My parents had to give their yellow lab away when i was a baby because it kept trying to attack me. The day they found it sitting on my head (i was less than 1) it was shipped off.

As a whole, i agree. The Pit bull isn't an average dog... but that is what makes them so special

Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 PM #70
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

Annual Supporting Member
Shawn_Savage plays in the PSP
Shawn_Savage plays in the APPA D4 division
Shawn_Savage is Legendary
I love me a nice Presa Canario

If I post in your sale thread I am trying to close a deal as fast as possible. If you delay, I move on.
Picked best team 2011 by NTex PBreview
Picked best reps of Texas 2012 by NTex PBreview
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM #71
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

I'd be wary of getting them in the United States, since many breeders just cross Pits with mastiffs and charge thousands of dollars for "Presa Canarios." If you want one, just import it from the Canary Islands.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM #72
pbFreAK42069
FSU KIDS

pbFreAK42069 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pbFreAK42069 supports Team VICIOUS
pbFreAK42069 is for the Gunfight
pbFreAK42069 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
The apbt are very mild mannered breed as a whole. Any dog can turn out aggressive whether it be tword humans or animals. My jack russel is more aggressive than mine she try's to attack every other dog she see's. Im not saying not to have respect for what they are capable of and that apbt owners do to a extent need to be more careful and responsible owners than other breeds. Mostly because of the negative stereo type the breed all ready has.
pbFreAK42069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 PM #73
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.

The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
One of things that people forget is, their dog may have attacked the pitbull and it defended itself.

and/or Any breed of dog will attack another breed. (or any other dog, i mean.)

Though when luca was attacked by a tiny *** toy dog he hid behind me and whimpered.

I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM #74
Umami
Mad as a hatter

I don't know that I would say I view them as threats, I've just seen more "pitbulls" that seemed aggressive in my time than most other dogs. Suffice it to say that if I had children, I would be more cautious with them around a pitbull, or any of the pitbull-looking dogs you mentioned. Very good info though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
As you pointed out, this breed is unlike any other in that its physical disposition lends itself to destruction. In short, an APBT, with its high pain tolerance and 'gameness,' can really **** you up if it wants to. That's something that many of the soccer moms who go out and rescue these dogs need to understand. They can be weapons if not handled properly.
This was all I was trying to say, although admittedly I did it poorly.

Quote:
My friend has two pitbulls, they're really cool dogs, very fun. Believe it or not, my post is only an attempt to save dogs and people a lot of hurt. All dogs can be dangerous, but Pitbulls are more dangerous than most breeds. That's just the way it is. Completely ignoring that fact as you seem to be doing in a majority of this thread will only lead to heartache.

Last edited by Umami : 01-26-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 PM #75
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

Annual Supporting Member
It's also a tricky line on pits and children too. They can be surprisingly good with kids due to high pain tolerances.

You pull on a chihuahua's ear and it'll probably bite you. You pull on a pits ear and it's gonna be like ...wtf... and not notice much.

It all depends though

If I post in your sale thread I am trying to close a deal as fast as possible. If you delay, I move on.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM #76
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage View Post
It's also a tricky line on pits and children too. They can be surprisingly good with kids due to high pain tolerances.

You pull on a chihuahua's ear and it'll probably bite you. You pull on a pits ear and it's gonna be like ...wtf... and not notice much.

It all depends though
Thing is if a chihuahua decides to bite (likely, they're little ****s for dogs), you've probably got some torn skin and a dog you've just thrown across the room.

If a pit decides to bite, you're going to have a muscular dog with very strong jaws latched onto you. It all comes down to being responsible, which the few times I had read the thread didn't seem to be coming from the OP.

Last edited by Umami : 01-26-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM #77
Shawn_Savage
RUSHian Mob

Annual Supporting Member
Very true. Like I said, it's a tricky line. Big dogs deliver big hurt. Not just pits.

God I do hate Chihuahuas tho lol

Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM #78
The_Leech
Tell me I'm pretty.

The_Leech is playing at Living Legends VI
The_Leech plays in the APPA beginner division
The_Leech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Leech supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage View Post
Very true. Like I said, it's a tricky line. Big dogs deliver big hurt. Not just pits.

God I do hate Chihuahuas tho lol
Ive been bitten by chihuahuas more then any other animal.

I support the CHICAGO HERETICS
The_Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 PM #79
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

the_silly_taco is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Thing is if a chihuahua decides to bite (likely, they're little ****s for dogs), you've probably got some torn skin and a dog you've just thrown across the room.

If a pit decides to bite, you're going to have a muscular dog with very strong jaws latched onto you. It all comes down to being responsible, which the few times I had read the thread didn't seem to be coming from the OP.
pits are actually one of the few dogs the UKC recommends with children. back when dog fighting was legal poorer families owned pits as house pets and would fight them on the weekends for extra money, thus any pits with problems with children didn't make it very far.

source (its under characteristics)
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...dNovember12008
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM #80
Slacker04
I wanna talk to SAMSON

that link is fascinating, but i can believe it with their loyalty traits towards individuals whom they're raised with.

I've seen plenty of pit bulls in my day... i'd take a nasty pity over a nasty german shepherd any day of the week.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 AM #81
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Yeah, dogmen culled most man-aggressive bulldogs years ago. If you're fighting dogs, it's not in your interest for your dog to attack spectators and the like.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 AM #82
SpyderPB819

SpyderPB819 donated to help Peyton Trent
SpyderPB819 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation

I bet bubsy misses the summer... no water to play in right now
SpyderPB819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM #83
Draken

Pits (Am Stafs and Am Pit Terriers) are AWESOME dogs. My wife and I both volunteer with Kalamazoo Animal Rescue and help as many dogs as we can of all breeds, but really try to help the Pits and Pit mixes because they are one of the most miss-understood dogs out there.
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 AM #84
Althaus68
MooHoo Militia

Althaus68 donated to help Peyton Trent
Althaus68 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Althaus68 supports Team VICIOUS
Althaus68 supports our troops
Althaus68 plays in the APPA beginner division
I was waiting for the first "person" to state something negative about our breed. and I am very proud of the members in the forum already!
Umami, those facts you say, where did you get these stats? the source I would like to see.
I would very much recommend that you check out the following website:
http://www.hellobully.com/pb101/pitbull101.html

Here you will be able to educate yourself more on the breed from true PROVEN facts.

Theres honestly not much i really have to say to you. its all been covered. but before you decide thats its a good idea to troll your next victim thread, be sure to educate yourself on the subject.

Last edited by Althaus68 : 01-27-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Althaus68 is offline   Reply With Quote