digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA D5 division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
I have all three systems so this is my view on the PS3/XB360. They both have something to offer.

XB360 - Superior environment w/ LIVE (integration, functionality, etc) and a HUGE number of games are designed mainly on the XB360 and then retooled for PS3 so they tend to have the overall better "constant" product. The PS3, though, is starting to get some more attention on that aspect. AC: Brotherhood is a good example where the studio spent more time on it, finally, when going to the PS3 and they ended up pretty much identical.

Downside: You have to pay for LIVE, but considering what I pay for yearly I find 60 bones pretty trivial for a better experience. It is, though, a payment that you don't "have" to make on the PS3. Games tend to be more populated on LIVE, but since every unit (w/ the exception of the 4GB and ARCADE units) comes w/ a mic you also get to hear a bigger portion of gamers which means more whiney kids.

PS3: Less solid games, IMHO, and a less polished online experience. This, though, is partially offset by the fact the core service is free. You also get Bluray support which is very nice. Titles like Uncharted, Infamous, Metal Gear, Upcoming Twisted Metal, God of War 3, etc, make it really stand out and are some of my favorite games for SP campaigns. So while it may have less of a constant product it's big exclusives are AMAZING.

I tend to play my XB360 more than my PS3 by a longshot. Some games, like above, will have me absorbed into it because of their epic SP campaigns, but I could never really get into the online experience w/ the PS3.

Both do media streaming, both have Netflix, PS3 has Hulu plus right now, but XB360 is getting it too. So it's a tossup on that end as they're pretty equal. PS3, on the media side, again has BluRay.

Both should do you well. Also the RRoD issues on the XB360 should be relatively minor compared to release units as Microsoft specifically designed it to be cooler, use less power, and quieter. The old units tended to be little heat monsters and people would get them (most commonly w/o proper ventilation, but with so many people they have limited gaming space as is). I, personally, have never had a RRoD but I do know 2 people who have (IRL people, not online) and about 6 that haven't. So the ratio is less than more, but it's still 2/9 which isn't very good in the past. Hopefully the teardowns, and early info, on the SLIM is right and that should drastically decrease.

Last edited by digitard : 01-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM #23
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
The Xbox 1 had way better HTPC functionality than Xbox 360. Modded Xbox 1 is one of the best set-top boxes of all time. The 360 is all about Live. That's the main reason I use it and the reason I won't hack it. Now I just run XBMC on my beefy linux server and the 360 just for gaming. There's no supported way to make a 360 a decent HTPC. It's a closed system and the easiest way to consume media on it is streaming. If you're still interested in running unofficial applications and stuff the folks over at xbox-scene.org forums probably have tons of guides.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM #24
General_Patton (Banned)
ASHEVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappuccino View Post
Xbox fanboys denying obvious problems with their systems.
I own both the PS3 and the 360. I will not deny that my 360 has had 1 problem, but I still prefer it.
**** you
General_Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM #25
Fappuccino

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Patton View Post
I own both the PS3 and the 360. I will not deny that my 360 has had 1 problem, but I still prefer it.
**** you
Then why would you make that post?

also, 360 is terrible. herp derp
Fappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM #26
CameronY
*907*

CameronY is a Supporting Member
CameronY supports our troops
CameronY is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton69 View Post
In Soviet Russia, 360 breaks down on you.

Oh wait, it does that everywhere. Enjoy your pile of ****.
lol
whole lot of anger, I earned my living as an Airborne Ranger..""
Originally Posted by ZeroOrDie913
"just did some more research. both were a 1 time release, in what was basically a dick measuring contest to make the strongest beer ever."

My Feedback
CameronY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 PM #27
Oakley33
Ego 07

Oakley33 is playing at Living Legends V
Oakley33 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oakley33 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Oakley33 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Connect through Windows Media Center
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 AM #28
Deadly Milk Man (Banned)

The 360 controller alone is a huge reason why I prefer it to the ps3. Also the games.
Deadly Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:06 AM #29
smahthers V 2k11
Dun goof'd

^ dawt
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM #30
welfare_trainz
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton69 View Post
In Soviet Russia, 360 breaks down on you.

Oh wait, it does that everywhere. Enjoy your pile of ****.

I almost laughed.

Nice try though.

http://i.imgur.com/U6d33.jpg

Xbox Live - welfare trainz
welfare_trainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 AM #31
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Milk Man View Post
The 360 controller alone is a huge reason why I prefer it to the ps3. Also the games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smahthers V 2k11 View Post
^ dawt
Your reason is flawed

ps3 also has more and better exclusives. true story.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 AM #32
Digital Bear

Digital Bear owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Digital Bear supports Team VICIOUS
Both are decent enough systems, PS3 gets a ton of use at my house...as a blu ray player. But seriously, the only games I buy for PS3 are the exclusives. The playstation network is unreliable making online gaming on it a chore. I play Black Ops almost nightly, and it always runs smooth as butter on the xbox. And it's not my connection it's fast as hell. In the time I have had my x box I have had xbox live issues maybe twice. Yes I have had RRoD, but I also know gobs of people myself included that have had PS3 issues. Personally I feel like the xbox has a better interface, better controller, better online, and overall better games. Plus, and this is a big one, because PS network is free it seems more accessible to smart mouth punk kids. In my experience the xbox has a fee you weed some of that out. although I may sound like an xbox ''fanboy'' I'm really not. I am a fan of games, and will play whichever gives me the best overall experience. On that note Little Big Planet 2 FTW