Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: GPA in its current form is not an effective representation of ability
Agree 71 55.47%
Disagree 57 44.53%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2010, 01:13 PM #1
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Is GPA a good measure?

I personally do not think GPA is a good measure. I am trying to take graduate level classes next semester (2nd semester senior year) and they won't let me because of my GPA (3.42 and requirement is 3.5).

Let's take a look at this now. Could I have gone through, got some BS major that's easier than algebra, and gotten a 4.0? Sure I could have. But I didn't. I am an accounting major (which requires you to graduate with 150 hours). So I am fitting 5 years of school into 4. That means I am taking the maximum course load possible and then some.

Who do you think should get into grad school? The person who took cake-walk classes or the person who busted their *** and actually learned something?

Conclusion:
GPA needs to be taken in context. There are so many variables that a number by itself cannot explain everything.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2010, 03:05 PM #2
patsrule711
I'm the Assman

patsrule711 is playing at Living Legends III
patsrule711 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
patsrule711 supports Team VICIOUS
patsrule711 is for the Gunfight
Cannot agree more my GPA is not that great since im buried with engineering/Calc/Physics classes while I have a friend that takes the easiest classes offered. Of course I will actually make money when I graduate...but yes there needs to be some sort of way take into account all the variables.
Got two rides, a limousine with a chauffeur
patsrule711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM #3
mikewar1
Megabuster? LAWL

has been a member for 10 years
mikewar1 helped look for balloons
GPA is the reason why I am beginning to worry that I may not get into Med school as an engineer.

ΦΚΨ
mikewar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM #4
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u

Annual Supporting Member
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Is there an appeal process? I've been in your position before and appealed stating how while my GPA was short I made up for it in other areas, and eventually got in.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM #5
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
the GPA is a perfectly good measure, when used in the correct context. a 3.5 in art history isn't quite as impressive as a 3.5 in mechanical engineering. problem is, people treat them like they are. you almost can't compare GPAs in similar programs across different schools for that reason, average GPAs could differ wildly from school to school.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:43 PM #6
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cww516 View Post
the GPA is a perfectly good measure, when used in the correct context. a 3.5 in art history isn't quite as impressive as a 3.5 in mechanical engineering. problem is, people treat them like they are. you almost can't compare GPAs in similar programs across different schools for that reason, average GPAs could differ wildly from school to school.
I agree 100%. I compare it to College Football. Two teams are undefeated. One team played division 3 schools all semester while the other played a top 25 team every game. In this case GPA is like the record (very good for both). However, that does not mean teams are equal.

Last edited by benji25 : 11-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM #7
helloE

I have this conversation about once a week with friends from college. Grad schools and businesses say they value GPA because it shows "long-term performance," but as has already been stated that performance has to be taken in context. Having said all that; my opinion on the matter is that GPA is a wholly inadequate metric for determining a person's knowledge and/or work ethic.
helloE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM #8
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Disarmer helped look for balloons
Disarmer is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Disarmer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Disarmer is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
I agree completely. I am an Electrical Engineering major at Texas A&M University and currently I'm around a 3.0 or so. Most people assume I'm slacking off because my GPA isn't very high, but the engineering program here is extremely difficult. I also have friends from other much easier majors that brag about their GPA's... greatly annoys me.
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM #9
theevilomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww516 View Post
exactly its like treating a degree from asu (my school) to a school like yale or harvard. both can have the same degree but lets face it one is more prestigious and harder to obtain and in this case should get the nod over the other.

Ipod/creative fs
theevilomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM #10
nyle
THIS IS MAJOR TOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
I agree completely. I am an Electrical Engineering major at Texas A&M University and currently I'm around a 3.0 or so. Most people assume I'm slacking off because my GPA isn't very high, but the engineering program here is extremely difficult. I also have friends from other much easier majors that brag about their GPA's... greatly annoys me.
I agree
I was Marine Bio at A&M in Honors with 4.0. I transfer to engineering at UT and I'm borderline 3.0.

Aerospace Engineering -- The University of Texas - Austin
nyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM #11
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

I don't do **** in my classes. I'm at a 2.7 right now and I have a spectacular internship because I interview well.

This and connections gets you a job with a real company. After your first real job, GPA doesn't matter at all. Its a **** poor measure of everything, but it does close some doors with companies that are big enough to make retarded generalizations.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 PM #12
pb12shooter
Waffles>Pancakes

pb12shooter owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pb12shooter supports Sherwood Forest
pb12shooter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Some classes/majors are very difficult. Getting an exceptional GPA means you are very intelligent or you basically have no life and study. The people with no life and study 18 hours a day. NEVER go out, I don't think those are good candidates, because when real life rolls around. They are not going to be working alone, they will be in a team environment and need to communicate. So I believe there should be more than what is on paper to get into a grad school.

ST ACCIDENTS 2011
pb12shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:44 PM #13
SLUMP

I agree.
I'm doing meteorology, and the course load is similar to that of engineering. A lot of math, a lot of science. I'll be lucky to graduate with a 3.0, and it's not like I'm going out every night.
814561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 AM #14
Gatyr

Gatyr plays in the PSP
Gatyr supports Cereal Killerz 2
Gatyr is an NCPA player
Gatyr plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post
GPA needs to be taken in context.
It should, and usually is. If you were applying to grad school, chances are (I don't know for sure because I have only looked at law school admissions) a more holistic view would be taken. But you are trying to take courses at a level higher than you were accepted into the school to take, and it makes sense that you should have to demonstrate adequate proficiency in your program to take those classes.

It's easier to demonstrate that proficiency in certain majors than others, yes, but someone with a 4.0 in a sociology program has already exhibited their capability to do as well as the program tests for, and is thus capable of taking more advanced classes. The burden is much higher for people in harder programs, so those people have to work harder to demonstrate that capability.

If you go to grad school, though, be happy the admissions people take more into account than just your GRE/GPA. Law school admissions (as well as med I think) are based solely on LSAT/GPA numbers for the majority of applicants. The other tiny group are people who have done something like be a Navy SEAL, TFA, or in some other way demonstrated that they are exceptional in some respect.

It sucks for engineering majors, because while they, as a group, have the highest LSAT numbers, their GPAs are disproportionately low for how good of a student they are. It's why I chose philosophy over engineering; I'm able to maintain a high GPA, and the coursework is conducive to thinking like I need to in order to do well on the LSAT and in law school.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM #15
bondsman333

bondsman333 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bondsman333 is for the Gunfight
Yeah I would definitely try an appeal; this shows that your truely interested and may be a better measure of your performance than grades alone.

I do think that alot of people/companies/school consider difficulty of major/program when looking at a candidate. Two of my good friends applied (and got into) med school. One had a much higher gpa in the standard bio/premed route, where the other a lower gpa in chem eng. The kid with with the chem engineering degree got into the better school and was offered a better package. But he worked a hell of alot harder than the other guy for lower grades, and Im sure the shcools that he applied to knew this.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM #16
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

Its not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake.

My FeedBack
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 PM #17
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
I don't do **** in my classes. I'm at a 2.7 right now and I have a spectacular internship because I interview well.

This and connections gets you a job with a real company. After your first real job, GPA doesn't matter at all. Its a **** poor measure of everything, but it does close some doors with companies that are big enough to make retarded generalizations.
This.

It's not a terrible process if used correctly. Problem is, many employers or admissions people are idiots and don't use it correctly.

One could make the argument that even GPA's from the same field/major but different schools are extremely hard to compare.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM #18
playinpaintball
Public Enemy

playinpaintball is an NCPA player
playinpaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
I agree with this in college. There are so many factors in college, every professor has different grading policies/scales, and not to mention differing levels of difficulty. Ultimately the professors you have during your college career are what really make your GPA
Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM #19
M98custom1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinpaintball View Post
I agree with this in college. There are so many factors in college, every professor has different grading policies/scales, and not to mention differing levels of difficulty. Ultimately the professors you have during your college career are what really make your GPA

Everything is this is true really.

Watch out for that one kid thats screws up the grading curve

OLD FEEDBACK

No Custom Milling Without A Deposit
Manufacturing Engineer
M98custom1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:25 PM #20
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
GPA reflects effort and ability; but its only useful to comparing people in the same major at the same university in the same year.

Accounting is harder than English; but its all relative. The dude with a 4.0 in Fine Arts doesn't traditionally apply to UPenn Wharton - so it really comes down to the reputation of the UG university. (As a side note, Penn State has only ever helped me with this )

I'd like to think that schools consider this, and I know for a fact they have in my case.

It only really matters in graduate and professional school... I think med schools are the worst with setting dead-set cutoffs; but jobs typically don't outside of internships.

Last edited by MVPaintballer : 11-20-2010 at 03:30 PM.
MVPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 PM #21
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I hope to god not, because my GPA is fairly ****ty.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote