PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM #1
sleeplessmonkey
The crazy harmless one

Question need help bringing old quest back to life

So i have an old Gen 3 dust blue quest that i loved playing with. Coming back to paintball after a long time off and having troubles bringing her back to life. When I originally bought it off of the original owner I had to due the common (at the time) re-solder on the solenoid harness but then worked like a dream. Now after laying around it has given me nothing but problems.

Current setup: Stock LPR spring, stock Gen 3 bolt and bolt pin, stock board, stock trigger, Sidewinder HPR, NDZ bleeding on/off and rail, 45ci 4500 HP Crossfire tank

Here's what is happening when I gas it up now. LPR climbs higher than norm (between 140-200psi, ajusting LPR nut has no effect), bolt moves forward and stays forward, and gas comes through grip. After hunting down the leak it is coming from the solenoid. The air is coming from the holes that don't make direct contact with the body. When the solenoid cycles can hear light pop sound of air trying to move but bolt does not move.

What I have tried to fix this; I have replaced every O-ring (two or three times now) clean and relubed, replaced LPR valve core, replaced solenoid with known good one out of my old DM3. Replaced Solenoid gasket. Tried multiple springs in the LPR, tried various HPR regs turned very very low.

I have read and re-read the stickies and last 10 pages of posts for every idea on how to cure this and now am out of ideas.

I will take any help I can get

Thanks.

Blue Marq7 : Black 04 Viking FSP Milled : Black 03 Gen-E Matrix : Blue Gen3 Quest
sleeplessmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 AM #2
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Well, if you have followed the o-ring guide in the FAQ, changed the o-rings several times, and changed the LPR valve core, there's not a whole lot left really. Try a little Dow55 on the o-rings to see if you can promote a better seal, and check under the bolt o-rings for hairline cracks.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:19 PM #3
sleeplessmonkey
The crazy harmless one

thanks for the advice, is Critical Paintball still doing tech work on quests?

Blue Marq7 : Black 04 Viking FSP Milled : Black 03 Gen-E Matrix : Blue Gen3 Quest
Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 PM #4
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if they couldn't help you out.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 AM #5
Fallinher0
Taking Power Tokens

Annual Supporting Member
Fallinher0 donated to help Peyton Trent
What kind of bolt are you using?

Old Feedback
Never forget... Paintball is a LUXURY sport... calm down.
Fallinher0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM #6
snowboardgeek1

snowboardgeek1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
snowboardgeek1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
snowboardgeek1 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessmonkey
thanks for the advice, is Critical Paintball still doing tech work on quests?
Yes they are. Give them a call and ask for James or John Paul. They're very helpful guys an will get you up and running.
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM #7
Whitey818
Critical For LIFE

ya we still do tech work take off ur piston and listen for leaks around your valve core. If its leaking try screwing the valve core in more. if that doesnt fix it best bet is to get a new one. Is the lpr creeping or is it going straight to 200psi?
Whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM #8
sleeplessmonkey
The crazy harmless one

thanks for all of the help guys,

Fallen im using a stock bolt

so valve core is not leaking, pulled apart lpr and core did not leak while under pressure, one of the back bolt pin orings had a hairline cut on it and replacing that carefully fixed bolt forward issues. The lpr jumps straight up to any hpr input pressure, double (well quadruple really) checking orings again, but think it may be the oring on the lpr piston. dont have an exact fit and when i remove the adjustment screw for the lpr and just use an extra washer or two, air is escaping out the lpr cap, also jumps straight to hpr pressure when i do that

Last edited by sleeplessmonkey : 11-18-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 PM #9
Whitey818
Critical For LIFE

put your piston into your lpr and see where it sits without air if it isnt flush with the outside rim of the lpr then that is your probly simply drill the bottom of the piston deeper till it fits about flush
Whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM #10
sleeplessmonkey
The crazy harmless one

Thanks. Piston is almost flush, O-Ring sits just under rim of lpr. Was that a common problem? Also I am really noticing the O-ring is not quite the right size, so I have some 011 Buna rings on the way to hopefully fix that.

*** UPDATE ***

After drilling the piston as suggest Quest is running perfectly! thank you so much everyone. Ok almost perfectly, does anyone know where i can find a copy of the manual for the WAS board that still works? Need to set up dwell and FSDO. But good news, LPR is stable at 85ish, quest cycles and no leaks. Thanks again everyone

*** UPDATE #2 ***

Found manual online some dark corner somewhere, and have cured bolt stick, and have her running smoother. When i fill the Scuba this weekend i will get around to cronoing her. Just want to thank everyone one more time for all the help.

Last edited by sleeplessmonkey : 11-18-2010 at 08:58 PM.